The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: arkabee on November 09, 2010, 10:26:24 pm

Title: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: arkabee on November 09, 2010, 10:26:24 pm
Led Zep.  don't get me wrong, i was a huge led zep fanboy in highschool.  led zep/rush were the first bands i listed to, man.

but nowadays, robert plant makes me angry to hear.  i used to, like, love his voice, but now it grates on me.

Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 09, 2010, 10:45:47 pm
/Bob Dylan rant #425
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2010, 12:08:40 am
There's also the opposite. I once had a friend who listened to The Carpenters because although he admitted the music was terrible, he just felt there was something about her voice. I am kind of that way with Sting.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 12:23:37 am
All them cookie monster metal bands, but I mentioned that before and it didn't go over well.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 10, 2010, 12:38:27 am
"C is for Cookie" works surprisingly well as a metal song.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2010, 12:47:43 am
"C is for Cookie" works surprisingly well as a metal song.

what a wonderful world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_mBUYyeYMU), as sung by cookie monster, if he was scandinavian and burned down churches.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2010, 02:06:54 am
I can't take Geddy Lee.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2010, 02:22:09 am
AC/DC makes me want to stab myself in the ear holes.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 04:39:57 am
AC/DC makes me want to stab myself in the ear holes.

*Furiously makes popcorn*
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2010, 04:46:04 am
I agree with all of these people.

And even Arkabee's story of Robert Plant appreciation loss (?). The rest of their music still sounds good to me, it is only his voice that bugs me now.

Sometimes Morrissey is too much for me, too.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: arkabee on November 10, 2010, 04:49:10 am
I can't take Geddy Lee.

that was actually going to be my second bullet point but then a customer walked in.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 05:03:05 am
If you can get past the Randism, the voice isn't going to cause too much trouble.

Axl's voice gets on my nerves a bit.

Just thought of the worst one for me - DRI. That dude's awful.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2010, 05:30:30 am
AC/DC makes me want to stab myself in the ear holes.

bon scott or brian johnson?  or is that a silly question?
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2010, 01:45:40 pm
I wouldn't be able to identify by sound which was which, but they're both awful.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2010, 02:44:50 pm
Jello Biafra really cacks my hackles after awhile. A little is fine but TOO MUCH and I start hatinghatinghating...

And c'mon, we all knew JL wasn't awesome at everything.

a) id rather hear jello biafra sing than talk

b) ooh, burn!
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 02:52:21 pm
I won't argue that Brian, Bon, Dylan, etc have shitty voices - they just don't ruin it for me.

Heck, listen to a little Motorhead. And yet I enjoy them.

Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 10, 2010, 07:02:23 pm
I won't argue that Brian, Bon, Dylan, etc have shitty voices - they just don't ruin it for me.

Heck, listen to a little Motorhead. And yet I enjoy them.

Yeah exactly.  Well, not exactly, I don't really listen to AC/DC (I checked em out a bit ago because of this board, they are pretty good actually but).  Some people ruin the songs with their (pretty good) voices (Robert Plant and Morrissey) some have bad voices that go well with the music (blues singers, Dylan, Black Lips, a billion more).

I like the Smiths and don't like Zepplin, but man I am really gaining respect for Jimmy Page.  That dude is fuck*ng awesome.  Oh wait, I was trying to say both bands would be better/amazing/the best bands ever with different singers.  I have been listening to Zep recently and I will really like it, think the guitar is amazing, etc. then Plant starts singing.

This is the song that got me to give Zep/Page a second chance, it is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLwMm--hL4&feature=related
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 08:15:49 pm
Oh yeah, Lord Sutch. Yeah, you can't really even say that he messes songs up, because it's not even like he's a singer. It's kind of weird to me that all those Brits would just get together and back up whoever showed up at the studio, more or less. Maybe it's because so many of them had done so much session work.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 10, 2010, 08:21:18 pm
I guess that pretty much sums up my singer preference.  I would much, much rather listen to Lord Sutch than Robert Plant.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 09:44:48 pm
You have the most interesting . . . media exposure, I guess?
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Lister on November 14, 2010, 06:57:25 pm
Smashing Pumpkins.

Bjork.

Silversun Pickups.
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: lprkn on November 14, 2010, 11:34:35 pm
The Sword
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 15, 2010, 12:47:36 am
pantera(even though the music messes it up for me, too.)
Title: Re: Bands whose singers mess it up for you
Post by: Nabubrush on November 15, 2010, 09:31:48 pm
Smashing Pumpkins.

Times seventy quadrillion.

Edit: Billy Corgan sort of messes up liking music for me.