The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: smick on December 10, 2010, 01:11:15 am

Title: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: smick on December 10, 2010, 01:11:15 am
While I was watching Freaks and Geeks last night on the DVD, I looked up the trivia on imdb.

Quote from: IMDB
Paul Feig's inspiration for the show was Rainer Werner Fassbinder's epic "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (1980), which dealt with the lives of outsiders and misfits in Berlin before World War II.

So I look it up on Netflix.   

Quote from: Netflix
Rainer Werner Fassbinder directed this 16-hour film that follows Franz Biberkopf (Gunter Lamprecht) after his release from prison in 1920s Germany. Although Biberkopf wants to remain straight, the poor economy ultimately drives him back to a life of petty crime and violence. Based on Alfred Doblin's acclaimed novel, this movie documents a man's descent into depravity and insanity, and sets the stage for the emergence of the Nazi party.

It's SEVEN discs.   I kind of want to take that on.   

(Awww, while making this post I discovered that it is a mini-series.   I was thinking it was like, a 16 hour feature.   I still want to take it on.   Anyone seen this?)
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: side_show on December 10, 2010, 02:29:42 am
This got me wondering, and according to a couple of sources,  Cinematon  (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1180330/) is currently the film with the longest run time.  Apparently it's 155 hrs long and was filmed over 32 years, and according to the always reliable source that is Wikipedia, it's been screened twice. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cin%C3%A9maton)
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 10, 2010, 02:57:05 am
I've been to the Alexanderplatz in Berlin.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: Nabubrush on December 10, 2010, 03:05:41 am
I have Freaks and Geeks on my shortlist to get from Movie Madness (http://www.moviemadnessvideo.com/index.htm). (Tremendous video shop, awful website.)

Alexanderplatz, not so much (MM has on VHS or DVD).

Cinematon, unlikely (MM came up empty-handed, which isn't unusual, I guess, but I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if he at least had some kinda cut of it. I see it's sort of new, though, so maybe he'll purchase something).
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 10, 2010, 03:34:29 am
something like that takes way more dedication than i have.  i hope you are entertained sufficiently.
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: miles on December 10, 2010, 04:07:11 am
I'm interested. It's now third in my Netflix queue. If only I could manage to watch the two DVDs I've had since June.
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: theinevitable on December 10, 2010, 04:23:33 am
I love Freaks and Geeks a lot.

the scene where Franco's character is having all of these teenage stresses and goes into his room, puts on his headphones, and blasts "Rise Above" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQtl0ypU44) made me all shivery. Punk music, man.
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: pmcd9 on December 10, 2010, 05:36:38 am
Wait a minute.  Geeks and Freaks is about some suburban teenagers in America with a bunch of fake problems and it's somehow based on some criminals from the 20s and the rise of Nazi Germany?
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 10, 2010, 05:43:38 am
speaking of films about pre-war germany, i just watched a movie called The White Ribbon.  its rather dark and interesting. (also, it is available to be watched instantly on netflix, for those that have that option.)
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: Nabubrush on December 10, 2010, 03:30:33 pm
speaking of films about pre-war germany, i just watched a movie called The White Ribbon.  its rather dark and interesting. (also, it is available to be watched instantly on netflix, for those that have that option.)

I mentioned that in another thread. That was a pretty good flick.
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 16, 2010, 06:36:41 pm
oops.
Title: Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 10:33:58 pm
oops.

No no! I just meant that I had seen it, too.

Seriously, though - do you think I write this stuff for my health?