Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berlin Alexanderplatz  (Read 2008 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Berlin Alexanderplatz
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:15 am »

While I was watching Freaks and Geeks last night on the DVD, I looked up the trivia on imdb.

Quote from: IMDB
Paul Feig's inspiration for the show was Rainer Werner Fassbinder's epic "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (1980), which dealt with the lives of outsiders and misfits in Berlin before World War II.

So I look it up on Netflix.   

Quote from: Netflix
Rainer Werner Fassbinder directed this 16-hour film that follows Franz Biberkopf (Gunter Lamprecht) after his release from prison in 1920s Germany. Although Biberkopf wants to remain straight, the poor economy ultimately drives him back to a life of petty crime and violence. Based on Alfred Doblin's acclaimed novel, this movie documents a man's descent into depravity and insanity, and sets the stage for the emergence of the Nazi party.

It's SEVEN discs.   I kind of want to take that on.   

(Awww, while making this post I discovered that it is a mini-series.   I was thinking it was like, a 16 hour feature.   I still want to take it on.   Anyone seen this?)
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:29:42 am »

This got me wondering, and according to a couple of sources, Cinematon is currently the film with the longest run time.  Apparently it's 155 hrs long and was filmed over 32 years, and according to the always reliable source that is Wikipedia, it's been screened twice.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:57:05 am »

I've been to the Alexanderplatz in Berlin.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:05:41 am »

I have Freaks and Geeks on my shortlist to get from Movie Madness. (Tremendous video shop, awful website.)

Alexanderplatz, not so much (MM has on VHS or DVD).

Cinematon, unlikely (MM came up empty-handed, which isn't unusual, I guess, but I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if he at least had some kinda cut of it. I see it's sort of new, though, so maybe he'll purchase something).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:34:29 am »

something like that takes way more dedication than i have.  i hope you are entertained sufficiently.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:07:11 am »

I'm interested. It's now third in my Netflix queue. If only I could manage to watch the two DVDs I've had since June.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:23:33 am »

I love Freaks and Geeks a lot.

the scene where Franco's character is having all of these teenage stresses and goes into his room, puts on his headphones, and blasts "Rise Above" made me all shivery. Punk music, man.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:36:38 am »

Wait a minute.  Geeks and Freaks is about some suburban teenagers in America with a bunch of fake problems and it's somehow based on some criminals from the 20s and the rise of Nazi Germany?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 05:43:38 am »

speaking of films about pre-war germany, i just watched a movie called The White Ribbon.  its rather dark and interesting. (also, it is available to be watched instantly on netflix, for those that have that option.)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:30:33 pm »

speaking of films about pre-war germany, i just watched a movie called The White Ribbon.  its rather dark and interesting. (also, it is available to be watched instantly on netflix, for those that have that option.)

I mentioned that in another thread. That was a pretty good flick.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:41 pm »

oops.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:33:58 pm »

oops.

No no! I just meant that I had seen it, too.

Seriously, though - do you think I write this stuff for my health?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up