The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on December 18, 2010, 09:46:58 pm

Title: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 18, 2010, 09:46:58 pm
Favourite animated Christmas special?

I'm going "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Special".

If it didn't invent the form, it certainly standardized it.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on December 18, 2010, 11:52:51 pm
Can't remember the last time I watched one. Last one was probably Chuck Brown.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 19, 2010, 03:16:57 am
the muppet christmas carol is my absolute favorite.  chucky b and mr magoo's are rad, too.  that rudolph one with the stop-motion animation is moderately alright. 
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Choop on December 19, 2010, 05:51:39 am
above all else, as a child i loved the frosty the snowman cartoon. see, it's not the snowman, it's the hat. frosty is the hat, but he needs a body, and the only one he can make is of snow. every year he rolls three great snowballs in three sizes, and wanders off and finds some coal, and comes back and gives himself speech. and every year, he rescues children and dissolves into the distance.

it's a beautiful, tragic tale. also, singing.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 19, 2010, 07:13:10 pm
i am intrigued by this underground holiday event (http://www.hulu.com/watch/202014/saturday-night-live-underground-holiday-event#s-p1-sr-i1).
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: side_show on December 20, 2010, 02:14:29 am
It's always been A Charlie Brown Christmas for me.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: AugustWest on December 20, 2010, 02:56:31 am
It's always been A Charlie Brown Christmas for me.

Me too.  Rudolf would be a distant second.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 20, 2010, 05:05:47 am
Most def. Charlie Brown with Rudolph and Frosty in the mix.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 20, 2010, 02:45:40 pm
charlie brown cartoons/comics are sad to me.  yeah, i know its a cartoon, but it always bums me out to see him shat upon.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: jay-ell on December 20, 2010, 03:22:54 pm
WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE?!?!

No Grinch?

Absolutely, positively, still my favorite by a long damn shot. I love the Grinch, I love Boris Karloff's narration, I love Thurl Ravenscroft (Tony the Tiger)'s woefully uncredited musical stylings, I love the weird 1960s style animation, I love the nonsense words. I even love Cindy Lou Who. I love every damn Who down in Who-ville, but mostly, I love the grouchy, grumpy, grawful great green Grinch. He's the best Christmas character ever.

Fa-who Forays, Da-who Dorays, y'all.

I also love "The Nightmare before Christmas" with equal fervor, but can never decide if it's a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Lister on December 21, 2010, 05:40:49 am
WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE?!?!

No Grinch?

Absolutely, positively, still my favorite by a long damn shot. I love the Grinch, I love Boris Karloff's narration, I love Thurl Ravenscroft (Tony the Tiger)'s woefully uncredited musical stylings, I love the weird 1960s style animation, I love the nonsense words. I even love Cindy Lou Who. I love every damn Who down in Who-ville, but mostly, I love the grouchy, grumpy, grawful great green Grinch. He's the best Christmas character ever.

Fa-who Forays, Da-who Dorays, y'all.

I agree with everything above, also adding the fact that I love love love love Chuck Jones.

Frosty's good, and any Rankin-Bass stop-motion special, but ultimately Whoville reprazent.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: wombat on December 21, 2010, 02:29:59 pm
Did I know there was a Muppet Christmas special? I ought to do something about this.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 21, 2010, 05:39:11 pm
Did I know there was a Muppet Christmas special? I ought to do something about this.

The Muppet Christmas Carol came out in the 90s. 
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 21, 2010, 07:38:37 pm
The Muppet Christmas Carol was nice but no.

The key Muppet Christmas special was a made-for-television thing in the Eighties back when Jim was still around.

They all meet at, like, Fozzie's mom's house and... the Sesame Street Muppets and the Fraggles show up too.

fuck*ng rad. I think it is "the Muppet Family Christmas" or... something like that.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 10:35:51 pm
Happy Life Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s), everyone!
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: side_show on December 22, 2010, 04:04:04 am
Happy Life Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s), everyone!

Wow, back in the days before YouTube and easy downloading, this was the sort of thing the geeks at the comic shop I worked at would circulate on VHS.  One of my coworkers was so horrified by it that he refused to acknowledge its existence.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2010, 04:34:37 am
I can't find the version of this they play at the store where I work. It is a lot more peppy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYDdm3fZiM)
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2010, 04:49:59 am
Oh yeah.

The "Star Wars Holiday Special" is right up there with the low-budget "Fantastic Four" movie in terms of bootleg stuff.

I can never find that Tom Waits Austin City Limits, though. Dammit. Damn comic book show bootleg tables, not stocking enough fuckin' Tom Waits.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 22, 2010, 06:08:45 am
The one with the fake gas station on set?  One of the first times I was high around my dad I watched that.  It is fuck*ng rad.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2010, 07:44:46 am
Fuck yeah.

FUCK YEAH!

It is the best thing!

There's a few clips of it on Youtube and... a Euro-bootleg CD of it that is not the complete performance but...

The whole thing on DVD would punish a dude.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2010, 01:59:54 pm
I guess here is where I admit I'm not the world's biggest Tom Waits fan. Not like my wife, who hates him, but not a big fan, no.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: jay-ell on December 22, 2010, 06:08:02 pm
I'm pretty neutral on Tom Waits.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2010, 06:21:52 pm
I dunno.

I guess I just think of early Tom Waits and think:

"That is A Cool Person. That is exactly what A Cool Person looks and sounds like."

You get much radder than the Tom Waits of SMALL CHANGE and you just... die.

You die of rad poisoning. There is too much rad. Our pitiful human forms were not built to contain that much rad.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2010, 07:00:23 pm
Well, but rads. They are already a thing.

Yeah, Tom Waits seems like a fun, rad guy. Just the music and songs and shit, not doing it.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: side_show on December 22, 2010, 09:02:32 pm
I've never really been able to get into Waits' music either.  From his music I get the sense that I would enjoy talking to him for hours and hours, yet the music itself... I just can't enjoy it that deeply.  On a more complex level, as a performer he is absolutely fascinating.  I think it's just that that sort of energy, which is so compelling when it's right in front of you, doesn't really translate well into studio recordings.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2010, 09:37:54 pm
Tom's a good interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX1qpcDchD4).
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on December 23, 2010, 02:54:28 am
Yeah, he's easily one of the most interesting and coolest guys around.

I can see why one wouldn't be able to get into his music, and I don't want to be all "Rain Dogs changed my life," but Rain Dogs changed my life. And also, greatest performer ever. If you ever have a chance to see him don't pass it up.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on December 23, 2010, 04:36:05 am
The whole thing on DVD would punish a dude.

Do you have a dime account?

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=82866

I'm downloading it right now but won't get a chance to watch it until sometime this weekend, so I can't comment on quality or anything. Should be the same one, no?

If you don't have an account I'm sure we can make other... arrangements.

From the description:

Quote
Tom Waits - Austin City Limits
NTSC DVD

Setlist:

01. Burma Shave
02. Annie's Back In Town
03. I Wish I Was In New Orleans
04. A Sweet Little Bullet From A Pretty Blue Gun
05. On The Nickel
06. Romeo Is Bleeding
07. Silent Night
08. Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
09. Silent Night Reprise
10. Small Change


Notes:

This is the best version I have seen. I got this one in a trade. According to the trader it's a copy he bought from a guy specialized on video transfers. Check the screenshots below.

According to the trader, lineage should be something like this:

Recorded from TV to a standalone DVD recorder > ripped from DVD > edited (minor adjustements) > re-authored > burned to DVD and sent to the trader > ripped from DVD using DVD Decrypter
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 23, 2010, 05:38:36 am
Do you have a dime account?

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=82866

I'm downloading it right now but won't get a chance to watch it until sometime this weekend, so I can't comment on quality or anything. Should be the same one, no?

If you don't have an account I'm sure we can make other... arrangements.

From the description:



I've got what if you want a few albums you have been unable to find. 
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2010, 10:52:11 pm
Sweet..  So much cool music is coming my way.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on December 24, 2010, 12:09:19 am
I've got what if you want a few albums you have been unable to find. 

Oh I'll hook anybody up, I was just trying to sound sinister. Although I don't have any early Flaming Lips or any Super Furry Animals...

But how we gonna do this? It's like 3.5 GB and I've never uploaded anything over like 10 MB max.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2010, 12:22:41 am
I'll take whatever is being offered.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 24, 2010, 03:33:16 am
Oh I'll hook anybody up, I was just trying to sound sinister. Although I don't have any early Flaming Lips or any Super Furry Animals...

But how we gonna do this? It's like 3.5 GB and I've never uploaded anything over like 10 MB max.


Yeah, I don't know, but I already have all of that stuff.  I can just put it on megapload or whatever album by album.  You have to cut it up?  Like those rar archives, then put a few of them into a megaupload file, then a few more, etc.  Do you know how to get those rar archives where you click on one the first one then it goes through the other 50 or whatever, then you magically have your programing?  Because I don't, but that is what we need.

You are in Utah right?  I could just send them all to you on a data disc or 2 if you would prefer.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2010, 02:13:28 am
I'll take whatever is being offered.

Make sure you see my post over in The Giving Tree.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on December 27, 2010, 06:07:15 am
You are in Utah right?  I could just send them all to you on a data disc or 2 if you would prefer.

So I didn't end up having time over the weekend, and this week is looking ugly too. On Saturday I'm going to take a look at the files to see what I can do, but I might just end up either trying to make a DVD or just a data disc. Of course everyone is welcome to a copy.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2010, 06:11:48 am
Make sure you see my post over in The Giving Tree.

Yes, thank you.  I picked up this years disc.  I already had last years disc, but I see there are three other disc from 2006-8 that I haven't seen before so I picked up those too.

I have three other mixes from you that aren't in those folders.

Me and the Bean, Catie 'n Goo, and Charcoal Chimney.  What year did those come out?
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2010, 02:02:15 pm
Yes, thank you.  I picked up this years disc.  I already had last years disc, but I see there are three other disc from 2006-8 that I haven't seen before so I picked up those too.

I have three other mixes from you that aren't in those folders.

Me and the Bean, Catie 'n Goo, and Charcoal Chimney.  What year did those come out?

I am actually working on cover art for 2007 and 2008, only a few years late.  Hope to have those up soon.

Me and the Bean was from 2003, Catie 'n Goo is 2005.  Corresponding to years those particular children were born.

"Charcoal Chimney" was the mix I did for Salon's now-defunct Audiofile column, looks like 2006 (it's not a year-end mix, though some of the songs were included on the 2006 disc).  Amazingly enough, the link is still up.  Who knows if the links to the individual songs still work.
http://www.salon.com/entertainment/audiofile/2006/09/01/bbq_wrapup
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2010, 11:06:42 pm
That's pretty amazing.  I might download one of those other bq mixes.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on December 31, 2010, 08:14:04 am
So I didn't end up having time over the weekend, and this week is looking ugly too. On Saturday I'm going to take a look at the files to see what I can do, but I might just end up either trying to make a DVD or just a data disc. Of course everyone is welcome to a copy.

So this shit's gonna happen, it just may be a while. I have a couple exams coming up and when I'm not working I'm generally studying or watching football. Why the fuck does my work want me to do this during bowl season?
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 31, 2010, 09:56:21 am
Oh, yeah, sorry.  If I am going to do this it would be sun or monday night, so maybe say something here one of those nights and I will get that stuff up for you.  What Flaming Lips do you need?  Like up to Clouds Taste Metallic or what?

I don't think I have the last SFA, but they haven't been good in about a decade, so I'm not going to worry too much about that.  Can I not give you the albums past the last halfway good album?  Or do you want them all?
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2010, 09:40:07 pm
Like up to Clouds Taste Metallic or what?

Yes!
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on January 02, 2011, 04:14:53 am
I don't really have any Flamings Lips or SFA. But it's no big deal at all, I'm busy enough that I don't know when I can deliver the Tom Waits thing. I'll mess around with that tomorrow. Still thinking a DVD, and like I said, I'll send anyone a copy if I can get it figured out.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 04, 2011, 09:44:44 am
Okay, I figured out how to do this, they should be ready tomorrow when I get home for the night.  Can I just put them here or should I pm them to miles, paul, whoever else tells me they want one?

If it is the second one who wants the best albums by the Flaming Lips and SFA?
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2011, 02:47:07 pm
I would like those, please.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 05, 2011, 05:43:17 am
So last night it was working, but my computer overheated at like 4:30 am and I didn't want to restart it, I wanted to go to bed.  Today it is not working.  I will get it working and it will be up soon.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2011, 02:46:11 pm
I'll be home on Friday to collect the various things posted around the internet.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 08, 2011, 09:21:17 am
Yesterday I switched to a different site and it worked.  I got up all of the flaming lips stuff.  Today that site didn't work, but the original site is working again.  Only two more albums to go until SFA is done.  Should pm tomorrow or Sunday.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 09, 2011, 09:02:41 am
Aight, shits been sent to paul, nabu and miles.  I actually have two (three?) bonus albums coming for you dudes.  Nabu, did you get that black angels album?  Do you want it?  I am on a roll now.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2011, 02:25:12 am
Aight, shits been sent to paul, nabu and miles.  I actually have two (three?) bonus albums coming for you dudes.  Nabu, did you get that black angels album?  Do you want it?  I am on a roll now.

No I didn't and yes I do. Thank you!
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on January 10, 2011, 02:57:22 am
Yeah, thanks Keith. fuck*ng loving SFA. Can't believe I went so long without listening to more than a couple songs by them.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 10, 2011, 05:18:54 am
Yeah, SFA is pretty fuck*ng awesome.  You should tell me what you think about them, as far as best albums or whatever.  I probably rotate between Radiator and Guerrilla, but Fuzzy Logic and Out Spaced have some finer tracks.  I am planning to put up the first Arcade Fire album and the early ep for paul, the newest Black Angels for Nabu, the two best Black Lips albums and some really good country music.  I am having trouble with the sites again, so I may send you dudes that stuff soon or I may not.  I will try though.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 10, 2011, 08:21:22 am
Oh, and also Miles, Clouds Taste Metallic is the best album ever made.  If it isn't Priest Driven..., Hit to Death..., or Transmissions... is.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on January 10, 2011, 01:32:53 pm
Yeah, SFA is pretty fuck*ng awesome.  You should tell me what you think about them, as far as best albums or whatever.  I probably rotate between Radiator and Guerrilla, but Fuzzy Logic and Out Spaced have some finer tracks.

I've only been able to listen to Fuzzy Logic and Radiator (the other albums have only been on kind of in the background), and of the two I like Radiator. In fact, it help supports my theory that 1997 is the best year for guitar rock music in my lifetime, and is probably one of the better albums released that year.

Oh, and also Miles, Clouds Taste Metallic is the best album ever made.  If it isn't Priest Driven..., Hit to Death..., or Transmissions... is.

For some reason that was the only one I could download. I'll try the rest again today.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2011, 07:17:14 pm
For some reason that was the only one I could download. I'll try the rest again today.

I was having problems with the downloads too.  Try them again.  They all worked on the second go around.

On a Flaming Lips related note, a friend of mine (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/505464431/) who drove up to OKC for their NYE show told me on Saturday night that our friend Andy Don (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4852356772/) and his sweetie (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4573445571/) were married on stage by Wayne Coyne.  That is frikkin' Awesome!
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on January 11, 2011, 05:12:06 pm
Oh, and also Miles, Clouds Taste Metallic is the best album ever made.  If it isn't Priest Driven..., Hit to Death..., or Transmissions... is.

It's all fuck*ng incredible. I can't believe all these years I only bothered listening to Soft Bulletin and after. Thanks again.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on January 11, 2011, 07:08:26 pm
It's all fuck*ng incredible. I can't believe all these years I only bothered listening to Soft Bulletin and after. Thanks again.

Ditto!  Thanks again Keith.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: theinevitable on January 11, 2011, 10:33:07 pm
this inspired me to finally listen to "The Mushroom Tapes" and they are pretty rad. mostly made me want to listen to the "real" versions of the songs, though.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 12, 2011, 06:29:20 am
Alright, I went a little overboard, but I am sending Paul, Nabu and Miles a shit load of links.  Really good country, first arcade fire + ep, black lips good albums, black angels, and a bunch of other stuff.  I know out of the three of you, at least one has heard every album, but probably not all of you have.  I will send this to anyone else that wants like, I don't know, some good albums I have been listening to recently. 

I also downloaded that tom waits thing and may be able to get it on an upload site if LFM or anyone else wants it.  I don't know, but I think I can do it.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2011, 05:14:25 am
I have so much new music it's absurd. I can't wait to get to listening!
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: pmcd9 on January 13, 2011, 01:17:57 pm
I have so much new music it's absurd. I can't wait to get to listening!

It's a good position to be in.  Thanks to everyone who has bestowed me with new music.
Title: Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
Post by: miles on January 13, 2011, 03:42:25 pm
Yeah, loving this. Oh, and Cow by Sparklehoss? That is an amazing song. It has the four musical elements I'm always a sucker for, Neil Young electric guitar (you know, kinda but not really sloppy, just the right amount of feedback where appropriate), banjo/acoustic guitar combo, accordion, handclaps, and then the fifth element, a healthy dose of melancholy. I think my heart's explodin'!

Cow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_aE7UajQV4

Edit: Or is that an accordion? Either way, great shit.