The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2011, 08:11:25 pm
-
Japan is pretty messed up right now.
Lots of Raw Footage (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theenvoy/20110311/ts_yblog_theenvoy/watch-raw-footage-of-the-japan-earthquake-and-tsunami)
-
I didn't click because I am already watching too much coverage of this, but in case it's not included, this is amazing video of skyscrapers gently swaying back and forth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhJzdtzl6KY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhJzdtzl6KY)
Also if you're familar with Tokyo Tower, its tip is bent, here's a photo:
http://www.jiji.com/jc/d4?d=d4_topics&p=eqa200-jlp10575297 (http://www.jiji.com/jc/d4?d=d4_topics&p=eqa200-jlp10575297)
I have NHK English on my cable, which is the station I watch more than any other, and this afternoon, a lot of the time the audio is just tsunami evacuation orders repeated in a bunch of different languages. I was leaving it on so I could hear when they went back to regular coverage, but it was so unnerving, I had to mute it.
And wow, thanks for the Internet. I don't know anyone in the affected areas, but my Japanese Facebook friends had the consideration to post updates before I even got up this morning, so they're OK. Well, I think they are - one only posted in Japanese, but years of fruitless language study meant I was able to understand the word for "OK," so I assume the news is reasonably good. I should go back now that I am more awake and try to translate the rest of it.
-
(tangent) We had a Egyptian guy at work, sort of an exchangey-intern fellow, and he was stuck in-country when shit started going south over there. The company actually didn't want him going back and wouldn't help him with it, even though his whole family is there. We had to sort of band together to help him out and get him back and forth.
-
How is it that in all of japan, no one has a mobile generator they can drop on this thing? Youre telling me the japanese army would be looking for wall outlets if it had to go somewhere?
-
I had hoped this thread was to be about some movie worse than the American remake of "Godzilla".
-
Oh that reminds me.. I've been watching the entire Hercules series. It's probably my guiltiest pleasure. I love that show. I love it almost as much as Xena. Anyway, I just wanted to say that Kevin Sorbo is possibly the worst actor in the history of motion pictures.
-
Back on topic:
Badass of the Week (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/akaiwa.html)
-
Back on topic:
Badass of the Week (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/akaiwa.html)
Holy crap. I'm very tired today, and I haven't done shit _and_ I'm getting paid for it. That guy fuck*ng rocks.
-
I sat next to a nuclear engineer at the bar on Friday. After we both got sufficiently drunk, I asked him about the Japan stuff and he was kind enough to explain in pretty good detail. Of course I only remember parts of it, but the main take aways were that although it's not a good situation, the media was/is making it worse, and that the Fukushima Fifty are badasses.
-
Workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are unable to plug a leak of radioactive water. (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-japan-reactor-damage-20110403,0,1606193.story?track=rss)
Sounds familiar yet even more terrifying. Probably because any sentence with the words 'radioactive' and 'leak' inspires its own kind of dread.
-
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men.
-
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men.
I'll bet that's not one of the ones Michael Moorcock co-wrote.
-
I'll bet that's not one of the ones Michael Moorcock co-wrote.
No, this one was written by Buck Dharma.
-
I thought it was Raymond Burr.
-
No, this one was written by Buck Dharma.
Don't sell Richard Meltzer (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/richard-meltzer-p157652/biography) short there, Paul.
-
Don't sell Richard Meltzer (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/richard-meltzer-p157652/biography) short there, Paul.
Wikipedia didn't mention him.
-
Wikipedia didn't mention him.
He co-wrote a shitload of their songs. They were big on that.
-
If I edited Wikipedia I would add his name to the songwriting credits.
However, I should mention that one time I read an article that pointed out many examples of how All Music was frequently full of shit.
-
If I edited Wikipedia I would add his name to the songwriting credits.
However, I should mention that one time I read an article that pointed out many examples of how All Music was frequently full of shit.
You can do that. He was one of the people who actually started the band way, way back when before they were BOC (and, indeed, before they were Soft White Underbelly) and of course, Wikipedia is edited by people who frequently have an axe to grind, or are cracked out of their melons, so what is a person to do?