The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Nabubrush on April 04, 2011, 04:03:00 pm

Title: Epsilon email database
Post by: Nabubrush on April 04, 2011, 04:03:00 pm
So, I recently received emails from BestBuy and AbeBooks that say that Epsilon (an email database management company?) fucked up and lost control of their (read my) email info. No other information was compromised, they assure me, but they're investigating. Meanwhile my spam folder is now bulging with crap, whereas up until now I had a pretty tight reign on it. Anybody else hear about this? I'm wondering what other companies use these guys.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 04, 2011, 04:41:00 pm
I got that from Best Buy, and from a bank I used to have a credit card with.

Fortunately, those were both to the e-mail account that is my "spam repository"--I use it to sign up for commercial stuff, and keep a separate address for actual correspondence with friends and family.  I only check the spam repository once a day, and delete 90% of what's there.  So if I get a bunch of spam there, it's just par for the course.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2011, 04:52:40 pm
I also got this from ABEBooks but I haven't noticed a difference in my spam. I also gave them my fairly crappy account that I mostly only use to buy things these days, and which has such crappy spam filtering. Seriously, if I flag EVERY message written in Arabic as spam, shouldn't a computer be able to derive a general rule from that?
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: smick on April 04, 2011, 05:06:43 pm
Chase and TiVo use them.  (I received the notifications from those two folks this weekend.)
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: CortJstr on April 04, 2011, 05:33:49 pm
I got the Tivo one. Here's the full list: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/e-mail-breach-hits-best-buy-tivo-walgreens-chase-kroger-many-more.html

Supposedly all they got were your address and first name. So the spam might be more convincing since it can start with "Dear [you]"
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2011, 05:36:44 pm
I got one from... somebody.  Can't remember now.  But I'm  like Carlos, that's my spam mail.  Anytime I have to give my email to sign up for anything it's this one.  So yeah I get lots of spam there.  But yahoo does a good job, actually, of filtering spam.

Edit:  Thanks Cort, it was Kroger.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: Nabubrush on April 04, 2011, 05:53:39 pm
Chase and TiVo use them.  (I received the notifications from those two folks this weekend.)

Weird - I use Chase but didn't get one from them.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: jay-ell on April 04, 2011, 07:23:41 pm
This reminds me, I should probably check my spam & e-coupon email account this month.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: side_show on April 05, 2011, 07:31:10 pm
I got such a message from Air Miles, and have noticed a slight spike in my junkmail coming in. 

I used to have my junk mail folder auto-emptied, but after making friends with a bunch of people outside North America, I found their communications were getting filtered out and I didn't want to lose contact with them due to atypical names.  I know I can add their names to my address book, but sometimes people are trying to reach me without me having made the first contact, so I do need to check my junkmail folder to prevent missing any good contacts, such as the email from my friend Pornrat inviting me to a conference in India.  I couldn't make it to the conference, but it was still nice to hear about it from her.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2011, 12:33:28 pm
So, I recently received emails from BestBuy and AbeBooks that say that Epsilon (an email database management company?) fucked up and lost control of their (read my) email info. No other information was compromised, they assure me, but they're investigating. Meanwhile my spam folder is now bulging with crap, whereas up until now I had a pretty tight reign on it. Anybody else hear about this? I'm wondering what other companies use these guys.

i got this from chase i think.

fuck*ng morons.

i got one last year from Blue Cross Blue Shield that someone had misplaced an old server hard drive.
WHOOPS!
LOL HIPAA? I THOUGHT YOU MEANT HIPPOS! I LOVE THE ZOO! LET ME SHOW YOU MY WISH LIST AT THINK GEEK! BUT I HAVE A BACHELORS AND AN MCSE SO I AM QUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION!1!!!

mother. fuck*ng. morons.

Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2011, 01:03:36 pm
Capitol One finally got around to sending me an email about it too.

And the spam is definitely showing the effects now. Dammit, why can't other providers filter spam as well as Gmail?
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: CortJstr on April 12, 2011, 01:29:49 pm
i got this from chase i think.

fuck*ng morons.

i got one last year from Blue Cross Blue Shield that someone had misplaced an old server hard drive.
WHOOPS!
LOL HIPAA? I THOUGHT YOU MEANT HIPPOS! I LOVE THE ZOO! LET ME SHOW YOU MY WISH LIST AT THINK GEEK! BUT I HAVE A BACHELORS AND AN MCSE SO I AM QUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION!1!!!

mother. fuck*ng. morons.



On the plus side you get a can for spelling HIPAA right. I work with it daily and most people in my office get it wrong. To be fair it does really seem like it should have 2 Ps instead of 2 As
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: Choop on April 12, 2011, 03:29:03 pm
this is the kind of outrage that would happen if my office got hacked, except directed at elected officials instead of retail giants
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: Nabubrush on April 12, 2011, 06:28:26 pm
(http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s64/ginja_mick/TonyHarrisonsmall.png)
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2011, 06:44:06 pm
also,

outsourced email address management company.

what.

the.

fuck.

you, chase, you can fuck*ng track all of my purchases and compound interest
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: Nabubrush on April 12, 2011, 07:19:03 pm
also,

outsourced email address management company.

what.

the.

fuck.

you, chase, you can fuck*ng track all of my purchases and compound interest

We almost pulled the pin on Chase recently. We'd had WAMU, and they never charged us any fees - then all of a sudden, Chase figures they have us over a barrel and will start sticking it to us. We went down and said we were going to close the account and they decided to waive the fees.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: jaydub on April 20, 2011, 08:07:25 pm
Pornrat is probably used to his emails getting spam filtered.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: side_show on April 22, 2011, 04:12:59 am
Pornrat is a lady.  The conference I met her at was predominantly English speaking and she went by the name "Wee" there and only told me her real name on the last day of the conference when she gave me her business card.  Somewhere I still have the card.
Title: Re: Epsilon email database
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 22, 2011, 04:20:42 am
"Pornrat is a lady" sounds like one-a them memes.