Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epsilon email database  (Read 5175 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Epsilon email database
« on: April 04, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »

So, I recently received emails from BestBuy and AbeBooks that say that Epsilon (an email database management company?) fucked up and lost control of their (read my) email info. No other information was compromised, they assure me, but they're investigating. Meanwhile my spam folder is now bulging with crap, whereas up until now I had a pretty tight reign on it. Anybody else hear about this? I'm wondering what other companies use these guys.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:41:00 pm »

I got that from Best Buy, and from a bank I used to have a credit card with.

Fortunately, those were both to the e-mail account that is my "spam repository"--I use it to sign up for commercial stuff, and keep a separate address for actual correspondence with friends and family.  I only check the spam repository once a day, and delete 90% of what's there.  So if I get a bunch of spam there, it's just par for the course.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:52:40 pm »

I also got this from ABEBooks but I haven't noticed a difference in my spam. I also gave them my fairly crappy account that I mostly only use to buy things these days, and which has such crappy spam filtering. Seriously, if I flag EVERY message written in Arabic as spam, shouldn't a computer be able to derive a general rule from that?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »

Chase and TiVo use them.  (I received the notifications from those two folks this weekend.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:33:49 pm »

I got the Tivo one. Here's the full list: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/e-mail-breach-hits-best-buy-tivo-walgreens-chase-kroger-many-more.html

Supposedly all they got were your address and first name. So the spam might be more convincing since it can start with "Dear [you]"
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:36:44 pm »

I got one from... somebody.  Can't remember now.  But I'm  like Carlos, that's my spam mail.  Anytime I have to give my email to sign up for anything it's this one.  So yeah I get lots of spam there.  But yahoo does a good job, actually, of filtering spam.

Edit:  Thanks Cort, it was Kroger.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

Chase and TiVo use them.  (I received the notifications from those two folks this weekend.)

Weird - I use Chase but didn't get one from them.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »

This reminds me, I should probably check my spam & e-coupon email account this month.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »

I got such a message from Air Miles, and have noticed a slight spike in my junkmail coming in. 

I used to have my junk mail folder auto-emptied, but after making friends with a bunch of people outside North America, I found their communications were getting filtered out and I didn't want to lose contact with them due to atypical names.  I know I can add their names to my address book, but sometimes people are trying to reach me without me having made the first contact, so I do need to check my junkmail folder to prevent missing any good contacts, such as the email from my friend Pornrat inviting me to a conference in India.  I couldn't make it to the conference, but it was still nice to hear about it from her.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »

So, I recently received emails from BestBuy and AbeBooks that say that Epsilon (an email database management company?) fucked up and lost control of their (read my) email info. No other information was compromised, they assure me, but they're investigating. Meanwhile my spam folder is now bulging with crap, whereas up until now I had a pretty tight reign on it. Anybody else hear about this? I'm wondering what other companies use these guys.

i got this from chase i think.

fuck*ng morons.

i got one last year from Blue Cross Blue Shield that someone had misplaced an old server hard drive.
WHOOPS!
LOL HIPAA? I THOUGHT YOU MEANT HIPPOS! I LOVE THE ZOO! LET ME SHOW YOU MY WISH LIST AT THINK GEEK! BUT I HAVE A BACHELORS AND AN MCSE SO I AM QUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION!1!!!

mother. fuck*ng. morons.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:36 pm »

Capitol One finally got around to sending me an email about it too.

And the spam is definitely showing the effects now. Dammit, why can't other providers filter spam as well as Gmail?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »

i got this from chase i think.

fuck*ng morons.

i got one last year from Blue Cross Blue Shield that someone had misplaced an old server hard drive.
WHOOPS!
LOL HIPAA? I THOUGHT YOU MEANT HIPPOS! I LOVE THE ZOO! LET ME SHOW YOU MY WISH LIST AT THINK GEEK! BUT I HAVE A BACHELORS AND AN MCSE SO I AM QUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION!1!!!

mother. fuck*ng. morons.



On the plus side you get a can for spelling HIPAA right. I work with it daily and most people in my office get it wrong. To be fair it does really seem like it should have 2 Ps instead of 2 As
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

this is the kind of outrage that would happen if my office got hacked, except directed at elected officials instead of retail giants
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 06:28:26 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Epsilon email database
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 06:44:06 pm »

also,

outsourced email address management company.

what.

the.

fuck.

you, chase, you can fuck*ng track all of my purchases and compound interest
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up