The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on April 07, 2011, 07:48:39 pm

Title: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Asherdan on April 07, 2011, 07:48:39 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 07, 2011, 08:45:37 pm
Wrap the bacon up in the steak - that'll keep 'em on their toes!

I'm making spaghetti.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2011, 08:58:35 pm
Then put it all inside a turkey and... tursteacon?
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 07, 2011, 08:59:32 pm
Then put it all inside a turkey and... tursteacon?

And then inside a Wampa, and take it out to the first marker.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2011, 09:02:14 pm
Just sear the steak.  You can't improve on perfection.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: jaydub on April 07, 2011, 10:29:06 pm
If you butterfly it, the bacon won't cook.  Pork fat has a higher melting temperature than beef.  Hot raw bacon - while adventurous - is probably a path best left untrod.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 07, 2011, 11:13:07 pm
Quote from: jaydub
Hot raw bacon - while adventurous - is probably a path best left untrod.

Great name for a band, though.

Or a porn about sexy lesbian cops.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 08, 2011, 12:23:59 am
OK, yeah that makes sense of the image I had in my mind of what the bacon would look like if I did that. I guess my subconscious knew what was bad for me in advance.

I thought you were cutting loose since the spouse wasn't home - what happened to that?
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2011, 12:42:09 am
Nothing like a little trichinosis when you're living the bachelor life, you're saying?
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: AugustWest on April 08, 2011, 02:08:14 am
Looks great!
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 08, 2011, 02:12:33 am
dont forget the butter, ya'll!
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 08, 2011, 05:32:29 am
I hope you had plenty of sour cream for slathering. The spaghetti was good and spicy as Hell.

It is "y'all". You + all.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 08, 2011, 06:02:29 am
It is "y'all". You + all.

[[straight-arm salute]]
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: miles on April 08, 2011, 05:47:24 pm
It is "y'all". You + all.


Yeah dude, get your informal contractions right. Wait, are all contractions considered informal? Maybe ya'll is super informal, as in ya + all.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 02:41:36 am
Yeah dude, get your informal contractions right. Wait, are all contractions considered informal? Maybe ya'll is super informal, as in ya + all.

No, no - it's just like any contraction. The apostrophe is marking where the word piece is missing. That's why ain't is such a bastardy fester-hole of a word. Not that this is a big deal to me or anything.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2011, 02:46:42 am
A misplaced apostrophe on a message board is like a divining rod for finding English majors.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 02:51:01 am
A misplaced apostrophe on a message board is like a divining rod for finding English majors.

I'm glad this is a place that I can safely be a pedantic douche-bag, so thanks to everyone for that.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Choop on April 09, 2011, 03:11:28 am
'SCRIPTIVIST!
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 09, 2011, 04:24:18 am
im glad you's dont kick me out, even though i dont rite good.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 08:06:11 am
'SCRIPTIVIST!

Actually, I don't really have a problem with ain't. I don't use it, but it's not a big deal to me. But the apostrophe/contraction thing . . . I don't know. I don't think of that as prescriptive vs. descriptive. That's like adding random yelps and clicks into your language and calling it all words.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2011, 12:48:46 pm
"Ain't" has the apostrophe where the o of "not" is missing. It's entirely consistent with the rule for apostrophes.

Also I really need more caffeine before I can spell apostrophe.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Choop on April 09, 2011, 04:37:33 pm
seriously. did you seriously not see what i did there.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 04:47:43 pm
seriously. did you seriously not see what i did there.
Well, I did, but I thought there was a bigger point.

And on the ain't with the apostrophe taking the place of the o, I'm cool with that. I'm just not sure what the ai part is.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2011, 05:34:50 pm
Am I Not, or, depending on context, Are It Not. 

So, technically, it should be a'i'n't. But then you have the problem of people saying, "ain't I," or "ain't it," which is then redundant.

It's best not to think too hard about "ain't."
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 06:31:39 pm
Am I Not, or, depending on context, Are It Not. 

So, technically, it should be a'i'n't. But then you have the problem of people saying, "ain't I," or "ain't it," which is then redundant.

It's best not to think too hard about "ain't."

Yeah, like that's an option.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2011, 09:42:12 pm
When I was a kid, I insisted that the proper construction was "amn't I," not, "aren't I." Because...well, "aren't" just doesn't make sense in the first person.

No sense at all.

This drove my parents nuts, but eventually, I turned eight and realized I might not know everything, after all.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: miles on April 09, 2011, 10:14:19 pm
My sister did the same thing. I kind of loved it and was kind of sad when she stopped, even though we'd tease her.

Now her daughter says "me-mow" when she sees a cat, and I love that.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 10:48:30 pm
When I was a kid, I insisted that the proper construction was "amn't I," not, "aren't I." Because...well, "aren't" just doesn't make sense in the first person.

No sense at all.

This drove my parents nuts, but eventually, I turned eight and realized I might not know everything, after all.

Early bloomer.
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 19, 2011, 06:38:54 pm
Bacon Roses (http://www.instructables.com/id/Bacon-Roses/)

Posted to Bobby's FB wall.  I HAVE SEEN EVERY BACON THING
Title: Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
Post by: jaydub on April 20, 2011, 08:32:13 pm
Ash's picture were pure agony to see on a Friday during Lent.  Also rough today when my lunch is PB&J's due to circumstances.

Unnecessary apostrophes in plural words is a particular peeve of mine.  Unfortunately one of the scripts I use in cheating enhancing Mafia Wars gameplay is loaded with them, so I get to see it daily.