The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 06:21:32 pm

Title: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 06:21:32 pm
Not the store, just the player.  I love tracking my stats, what have I been listening to, what's my most popular songs.  I find it fascinating.  I also love how it aids in my selection process.  When I don't know what to listen to I will typically just scroll through until I see something I am interested in or go to random play.  I just recently downloaded a little app that analyzes the xml file and gives back a bunch of stats that itunes doesn't display such as number of songs never played,  songs played by genre and a bunch more.

I can't possibly be the only person who is thusly addicted.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 06:37:02 pm
iTunes makes me want to drill holes in my head.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 06:38:49 pm
iTunes makes me want to drill holes in my head.

Oh gosh.  You shouldn't use that program then.  Definitely not for you.  Not a good side effect of music listening?  What program do you use instead?
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 06:43:35 pm
Well, I use it because I have an iPod and it's more work than I'm willing to put in to find an alternative. I just don't prefer it. It really likes to fuck around with me because of my iPhone. I like everything about the phone other than iTunes.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 07:14:22 pm
Yeah, I like a lot of the things it does, and it's like the internal combustion engine - I'm living with it. There are just certain things about it that really piss me off. I do like smart playlists.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2011, 08:29:05 pm
I'd switch to SongBird but it lacks 2 features that I absolutely rely on:

1) streaming to my AirPort Express. So I can listen to music on my giant ca. 1996 stereo

2) smart playlists based on Last Played date. I listen to my iPod all day at work and I never want to hear the same song twice in a week.

I look at my Last.fm stats all the time. Right now:
Tracks per hour:   3.78
Tracks per day:   90.79
Tracks per week:   635.56
Tracks per month:   2814.61
Tracks per year:   33139.71
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 16, 2011, 01:31:27 am
Yeah, last.fm lets you do a lot of that stuff, regardless of player.  I just wish it was compatible with my car stereo, since that's where I do most of my music listening.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: CortJstr on April 16, 2011, 02:09:20 am
Yeah, last.fm lets you do a lot of that stuff, regardless of player.  I just wish it was compatible with my car stereo, since that's where I do most of my music listening.

This is one of the reasons why I still own an iPod. When I sync it w/ iTunes the Last.fm program finds what I've listened to since my last sync and scrobbles them.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Doc on April 16, 2011, 02:16:38 am
I used to hate iTunes but being able to aggregate podcasts just using the itunes store is so much easier than futzing with rss feeds and similar that I just gave in one day. I'm in a happier place now.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2011, 03:40:18 am
yeah, lately I am really into burning CDs. It helps keep me from wanting to change the song every 5 seconds when I am driving. I like making CDs where there are 2 albums from really different genres.

But it is driving me freaking insane that listening to these things is not recorded anywhere. Why do I care? I have no idea. The self-loathing part of me wants to say that it is to show off, or something like that... but I am not aware of anyone regularly checking my last.fm profile, and I certainly don't look at other people's.

 I just really want to be able to look at last.fm and know for sure that I have listened to a certain song 24 times in the last 6 months.
Except, sometimes I feel like last.fm is a fuck*ng liar. I know for sure that I listened to C.R.E.A.M. every day for a few weeks, and yet it says I only listened to it 6 times. What gives?
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2011, 08:37:11 pm
I just really want to be able to look at last.fm and know for sure that I have listened to a certain song 24 times in the last 6 months.
Except, sometimes I feel like last.fm is a fuck*ng liar. I know for sure that I listened to C.R.E.A.M. every day for a few weeks, and yet it says I only listened to it 6 times. What gives?

Depending on what scrobbling program you use it may not detect multiple plays. My old program was also very specific that I had to sync my iPod before listening to iTunes or all the stuff on my iPod wouldn't count. Then there's the obvious question are you sure you've got it tagged properly.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on May 31, 2011, 02:29:47 am
Here's a thing about iTunes. I used to get the free tracks that they put up (not anymore, because our internet makes connecting to the store a bitch). I just got a new work computer, and now I can't play the free songs that are on my iPod on my computer, because I can't connected to the store to "authorize" this computer. Hey iTunes? Fuck you twice.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on May 31, 2011, 05:39:41 am
I've never bought from iTunes store because of that very reason.  You buy from them they think they still own it.

I love the iTunes player though.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on May 31, 2011, 06:21:41 am
I've never bought from iTunes store because of that very reason.  You buy from them they think they still own it.

I love the iTunes player though.

I've probably actually purchased three songs from iTunes - I had to get funky president and a change is gonna come during Obama's election so my cube-mate and I could play them over and over and over. The rest of the folks up here reaaaaaally appreciated it. It just seems like the free ones shouldn't have that stupid shit built in.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on May 31, 2011, 07:14:31 am
Probably the philosophy is that if you got it for free and really loved it when the license or whatever expires you would be willing to spend money on it.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on May 31, 2011, 07:40:48 am
Probably the philosophy is that if you got it for free and really loved it when the license or whatever expires you would be willing to spend money on it.

Well, and that's part of the stupidity. I can listen to it on my iPod all day, as well as on my home computer, but it's not "authorized" on this machine.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on May 31, 2011, 05:39:13 pm
Well, and that's part of the stupidity. I can listen to it on my iPod all day, as well as on my home computer, but it's not "authorized" on this machine.

Exactly.  And eventually those devices will stop working or become obsolete and you will be shit out of luck.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2011, 02:34:15 am
Exactly.  And eventually those devices will stop working or become obsolete and you will be shit out of luck.

And we're back where we started, and this is why I hate iTunes.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: theinevitable on June 01, 2011, 02:53:41 am
I don't understand the idea of ever paying for an mp3/m4a/whatever. I guess the guy who buys vinyl and almost never listens to it doesn't get to talk, though.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on June 01, 2011, 04:12:17 am
I don't understand the idea of ever paying for an mp3/m4a/whatever. I guess the guy who buys vinyl and almost never listens to it doesn't get to talk, though.

Are you saying you don't understand why one would pay for it of why you would want an mp3?
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: theinevitable on June 01, 2011, 04:27:57 am
Why you would pay for it. Every story I have heard is along the lines of Nabu's.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2011, 04:38:44 am
I kind of feel fogeyish for not buying mp3s, but at this point I literally will not catch up on the music I currently have and am adding to my collection every day for free. I have probably 50 - 100 CDs at home I've never listened to, that I know I would like (given to me by friends, etc), to say nothing of the CDs I get from the library and the perhaps 50 individual songs I amass every week. Plus I like to have something more than the electronic version of a song - especially when S. Jobs decides I don't deserve to own it anymore (this is a simplification - there are many contributing factors such as the fucko or fuckos who have stolen two of my iPods).
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on June 01, 2011, 08:04:44 am
Why you would pay for it. Every story I have heard is along the lines of Nabu's.

I guess you pay for it because otherwise it's stealing*. 

My story is nothing like Nabu's.  Well there are similarities, but... when I buy mp3s I buy them from amazon dot com drm free.  I don't have any problem playing my music.  I can use it wherever I please.  I specifically don't do business with iTunes because I know they are out to fuck me over.

*of course I'm a big hypocrite who has stolen a shitload of music. But I've also paid for way more than the average customer


Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2011, 08:06:54 am
Oh yeah - I don't get even free music from iTunes anymore. The free shit at amazon is less "fuck you" ish, and also actually better and more plentiful. Fuck those other guys.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 01, 2011, 01:50:40 pm
I am in the process of copying ALL my CDs to MP3.  Last night I tried to copy Kings of Leon's "Aha Shake Heartbreak," only to discover it has awful, draconian DRM on the disc, rendering it impossible to copy over.  SUCK.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2011, 03:20:14 pm
I've copied a lot, but I have other things that I want to do. My to do list is so fuck*ng long. And then there's the guitar and all - I just run out of time. My CDs and books are still out of order from before the basement remodel.

Also I am lazy.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: CortJstr on June 02, 2011, 01:21:01 am
Yeah, I only buy proper DRM-free mp3s and have been since I first discovered eMusic in '99. Inev, don't most records come with a code to download the album as mp3s anyway? So you did kind of buy them.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: theinevitable on June 02, 2011, 06:01:09 am
I mostly buy used records. But I am a big fan of the ones with download codes. It makes me feel a little bit better than downloading them illegally.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on June 02, 2011, 06:27:29 am
Can you give me some perspective on what the appeal of vinyl is to you in this day in age?
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: theinevitable on June 02, 2011, 06:38:43 am
It looks cool. I like the ritual of having to set everything up and put the needle down and listen to the songs in order. With music on a computer, I am always tempted to switch tracks, switch albums, brose the internet, watch Youtube...

When I buy an old used record, I feel like in some way I am listening to this the way it "should be," even though I know that is completely silly.

Mostly, I download whatever music I want off the internet for free. When I buy new records, it is to give money to the band and have a cool big cover art... it's like real-life Cover Flow.

Actually, I don't buy that many records. I bought the most when I lived in Charlotte, where records are cheap. Looking back, it is insane to me that I bought re-prints of old records. What is the point of owning a modern pressing of a Velvet Underground record? Who knows.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 02, 2011, 08:59:59 am
I don't want to get too into it, and I don't come down on either side of the debate, but:

"This means that, by definition, a digital recording is not capturing the complete sound wave. It is approximating it with a series of steps. Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate." (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm).

There are a billion other resources that say the same. YMMV, but some real dyed-in-the-wool audiophiles feel licorice pizza is the only way to go.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: CortJstr on June 02, 2011, 04:32:18 pm
I will admit to vinyl as one of my affectations.* I don't own a lot of it but I do like to listen to it occasionally. I'm more likely to buy the vinyl if it's an album I think I'll sit down and listen to rather just having it on. Though 99% of the time I have my main iTunes playlist on shuffle in the background.



*The other main one is wearing a watch.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 02, 2011, 04:40:56 pm
I'm thinking I may start buying records again. My wife has a bunch of old collectable punk stuff, but I gave all mine away a long time ago.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: pmcd9 on June 02, 2011, 04:49:30 pm
I get what you are saying about really really listening to the music instead of it just being background noise.  For me, the times when I do my most concentrated listening are in the car or in bed.  Both of those are much better suited to digital music than an lp.  I do have an old record player and a bunch of 78s upstairs that belonged to my Aunt.  Every once in a blue moon I'll go up there and listen to old records (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/1970654244/)
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2011, 01:33:33 am
When we had that party recently, after the bands played we spun records. It was pretty fun. We all got together and did the frug (http://youtu.be/KzsjESAmvKM).
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 03, 2011, 02:38:43 am
the frug (http://youtu.be/KzsjESAmvKM).

dancers have the yummiest thighs [[drool]]
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2011, 02:51:30 am
Athletic thighs will get me every time.
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 03, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
I have hell of vinyl, I guess for a few reasons.  First and foremost, those shits were really cheap in Oklahoma.  Original press T-Rex Electric Warrior for 7 dollars?  Yeah, I'll buy that.  In Denver it is more expensive for less cool records, so I don't usually buy them, but every time I go to a record store I still get like $40 worth of shit. 

The other reasons are, like, yeah, I have well over 200 gb of mp3's.  Those completely replace any need for cds or tapes.  Vinyls actually sound better and you get to own your absolute favorite albums in a way that is actually worthwhile to own them (kick ass art, etc.).
Title: Re: Addicted to iTunes
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2011, 03:50:21 am
And not to be a hipster but if you have an original pressing of Martha Splatterhead in your music room, people know you mean business. They know you are not soft.