Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Addicted to iTunes  (Read 6191 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Addicted to iTunes
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »

Not the store, just the player.  I love tracking my stats, what have I been listening to, what's my most popular songs.  I find it fascinating.  I also love how it aids in my selection process.  When I don't know what to listen to I will typically just scroll through until I see something I am interested in or go to random play.  I just recently downloaded a little app that analyzes the xml file and gives back a bunch of stats that itunes doesn't display such as number of songs never played,  songs played by genre and a bunch more.

I can't possibly be the only person who is thusly addicted.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »

iTunes makes me want to drill holes in my head.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:49 pm »

iTunes makes me want to drill holes in my head.

Oh gosh.  You shouldn't use that program then.  Definitely not for you.  Not a good side effect of music listening?  What program do you use instead?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

Well, I use it because I have an iPod and it's more work than I'm willing to put in to find an alternative. I just don't prefer it. It really likes to fuck around with me because of my iPhone. I like everything about the phone other than iTunes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »

Yeah, I like a lot of the things it does, and it's like the internal combustion engine - I'm living with it. There are just certain things about it that really piss me off. I do like smart playlists.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »

I'd switch to SongBird but it lacks 2 features that I absolutely rely on:

1) streaming to my AirPort Express. So I can listen to music on my giant ca. 1996 stereo

2) smart playlists based on Last Played date. I listen to my iPod all day at work and I never want to hear the same song twice in a week.

I look at my Last.fm stats all the time. Right now:
Tracks per hour:   3.78
Tracks per day:   90.79
Tracks per week:   635.56
Tracks per month:   2814.61
Tracks per year:   33139.71
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:27 am »

Yeah, last.fm lets you do a lot of that stuff, regardless of player.  I just wish it was compatible with my car stereo, since that's where I do most of my music listening.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 02:09:20 am »

Yeah, last.fm lets you do a lot of that stuff, regardless of player.  I just wish it was compatible with my car stereo, since that's where I do most of my music listening.

This is one of the reasons why I still own an iPod. When I sync it w/ iTunes the Last.fm program finds what I've listened to since my last sync and scrobbles them.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 02:16:38 am »

I used to hate iTunes but being able to aggregate podcasts just using the itunes store is so much easier than futzing with rss feeds and similar that I just gave in one day. I'm in a happier place now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 03:40:18 am »

yeah, lately I am really into burning CDs. It helps keep me from wanting to change the song every 5 seconds when I am driving. I like making CDs where there are 2 albums from really different genres.

But it is driving me freaking insane that listening to these things is not recorded anywhere. Why do I care? I have no idea. The self-loathing part of me wants to say that it is to show off, or something like that... but I am not aware of anyone regularly checking my last.fm profile, and I certainly don't look at other people's.

 I just really want to be able to look at last.fm and know for sure that I have listened to a certain song 24 times in the last 6 months.
Except, sometimes I feel like last.fm is a fuck*ng liar. I know for sure that I listened to C.R.E.A.M. every day for a few weeks, and yet it says I only listened to it 6 times. What gives?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »

I just really want to be able to look at last.fm and know for sure that I have listened to a certain song 24 times in the last 6 months.
Except, sometimes I feel like last.fm is a fuck*ng liar. I know for sure that I listened to C.R.E.A.M. every day for a few weeks, and yet it says I only listened to it 6 times. What gives?

Depending on what scrobbling program you use it may not detect multiple plays. My old program was also very specific that I had to sync my iPod before listening to iTunes or all the stuff on my iPod wouldn't count. Then there's the obvious question are you sure you've got it tagged properly.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 02:29:47 am »

Here's a thing about iTunes. I used to get the free tracks that they put up (not anymore, because our internet makes connecting to the store a bitch). I just got a new work computer, and now I can't play the free songs that are on my iPod on my computer, because I can't connected to the store to "authorize" this computer. Hey iTunes? Fuck you twice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 05:39:41 am »

I've never bought from iTunes store because of that very reason.  You buy from them they think they still own it.

I love the iTunes player though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:41 am »

I've never bought from iTunes store because of that very reason.  You buy from them they think they still own it.

I love the iTunes player though.

I've probably actually purchased three songs from iTunes - I had to get funky president and a change is gonna come during Obama's election so my cube-mate and I could play them over and over and over. The rest of the folks up here reaaaaaally appreciated it. It just seems like the free ones shouldn't have that stupid shit built in.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 07:14:31 am »

Probably the philosophy is that if you got it for free and really loved it when the license or whatever expires you would be willing to spend money on it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up