The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on May 11, 2011, 08:32:25 pm

Title: A Matter of Taste
Post by: side_show on May 11, 2011, 08:32:25 pm
You can vote for more than one.

I've always said I could live the rest of my life without dessert, but take away salty fried Tortilla chips or sushi and I wouldn't want to live.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: jaydub on May 11, 2011, 09:08:39 pm
Love nuts and beef jerky.  Macadamias, cashews, filberts, Brazil, hazel, etc.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 11, 2011, 09:31:31 pm
I got some Moose jerky coming back from Canada today.

consider me jealous.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2011, 10:23:48 pm
I only really eat salty snacks when nothing else is available. And I don't see the appeal of a bowl of mixed nuts at all. But after dinner I have to have something sweet, even if it's just one of those tiny candy bars.

But I do intend to try the Salty, Spicy, Sweet pizza* as soon as I can find a pizza place that has non-pickled chilis.


*Bacon, Jalapeno, Pinapple
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2011, 11:03:51 pm
We get this on the plane as a snack:
(http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/7403/2567370/1/Granola+Bars,+Sweet+%26+Salty+Nut+Almond+Cereal,+1.5oz+Bar,+16%2Fbox.jpg)

Just me, amused by this? Adolescent? Perhaps.

I always bring the wrapper back to my wife. She thinks it's naughty.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 11, 2011, 11:32:45 pm
We get this on the plane as a snack:
(http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/7403/2567370/1/Granola+Bars,+Sweet+%26+Salty+Nut+Almond+Cereal,+1.5oz+Bar,+16%2Fbox.jpg)

Just me, amused by this? Adolescent? Perhaps.

no sir, i smirked at it, m'self.  sometimes i get this from the vending machine at school:

(http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/images/article/1206734758231_Planters.jpg)

i like to refer to it as a "nut sack".
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: jay-ell on May 12, 2011, 02:03:26 am
after dinner I have to have something sweet, even if it's just one of those tiny candy bars.

This. I've found a 35 calorie mini reese's cup will do wonders to keep me from overeating. If I don't have a little something sweet, I tend to want to keep eating past the point of satiety. I read somewhere a while ago that a little sweetness at the end of the meal triggers some hormone that makes you stop wanting to eat, but I can't find the reference now.

I crave everything except sour and bitter at one time or another. I just love food.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 12, 2011, 03:34:29 am
Cort-- that pizza combo is my favorite. But I usually get canadian bacon, for some reason.

I definitely crave things like cheeseburgers or pasta with spicy meat sauce, not snack foods...

until lately, when I have started having a hard-core sweet tooth. I thought I had lost it in college, but now I always want candy. It is this job's fault.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Choop on May 12, 2011, 05:49:14 am
good god do NOT bring doritos into my house if you want either to leave with them or to leave me with some dignity. if you would rather watch me revert to neanderthal forager slash gitmo prisoner, by all means give me them GIVE ME THEM NOW

i don't have much of a sweet tooth but i can appreciate a nice chocolate or lemon dessert, so long as the whatevernut butter and mango is on other peoples' plates.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: AugustWest on May 12, 2011, 01:14:00 pm
I like 'em all.

I also agree with the bit o' sweet at the end of a meal thing.  Whether or not it has an effect on my appetite, I'm at least psychologically conditioned to expect something sweet after eating a meal, even if it's only a mint.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: side_show on May 13, 2011, 03:21:00 pm
See I grew up in a non-dessert house hold, so the idea of this is foriegn to me.  I don't crave sweet, and I don't typically eat much after dinner either.

I'm especially interested in umami flavours in combinantion with salty.   Aparently Doritos, which have tons of glutimate on them are a near perfect synthisis of both, and of course sushi is all about umami combined with other tastes. 

Oh, and I once had a truffle infused hamburger at a 5 star resort that I will never forget.  Actually, I had it about four or five times within a the two week period I was there.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: jay-ell on May 13, 2011, 06:19:08 pm
Sugar snap peas sauteed in sesame oil with a touch of fresh ground ginger, then drizzled with soy sauce just before serving.

Sweet + Umami, it's quite excellent.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: pmcd9 on May 14, 2011, 07:24:00 am
Pussy is generally described as sweet, but it's really more of a savory flavor.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 14, 2011, 10:05:05 pm
Pussy is generally described as sweet, but it's really more of a savory flavor.

MeFi's final assessment was it's like licking a 9-volt.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: jay-ell on May 16, 2011, 01:54:22 am
Doesn't that usually depend on the individual being licked? Semen, likewise, is usually described as salty, but it varies widely with individual body chemistry and diet, and I've never encountered anything that I'd describe as salty.

I really hope neither my mother nor my kids ever find this board.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2011, 04:31:28 am
there is definitely an underlying taste that is the same for all pussy, though.

have I told you guys about the time my ex accused me of putting semen in her food?
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: smick on May 16, 2011, 08:16:34 pm
No, but this is the correct medium.

Proceed.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2011, 08:23:43 pm
so, my mom makes homemade tortillas. At some point she figured out that when they are cooling, if you wrap them in a towel that has ever been washed with detergent/softener, the tortillas will taste like weird chemicals. So she had a special towel that she only washed by hand.

One day, my sister was helping, and my mom forgot to mention this step, so they came out tasting funny. Fresh off the presses, I brought some over to my current GF, who accused me of somehow adding my semen to the food. "I mean, I don't care, I'm not mad... but you did, right?"
Later my mom called and told me to tell them not to eat any of the tortillas, but by then the damage was done. So... it tastes like that? Shit.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 25, 2011, 10:34:32 pm
flour or corn?
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2011, 10:40:42 pm
flour. I just got her recipe, and she taught me to make her awesome salsa, and I'm thinking about making some hand-formed ones. RAD.

I have really never had a salsa that tastes like my mom's. SO GOOD. I think it is because she uses a ton of balsamic vinegar? Other than that it's just salt, pepper, tons of cilantro, red onion, tomatoes.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: pmcd9 on May 25, 2011, 11:34:17 pm
so, my mom makes homemade tortillas. At some point she figured out that when they are cooling, if you wrap them in a towel that has ever been washed with detergent/softener, the tortillas will taste like weird chemicals. So she had a special towel that she only washed by hand.

One day, my sister was helping, and my mom forgot to mention this step, so they came out tasting funny. Fresh off the presses, I brought some over to my current GF, who accused me of somehow adding my semen to the food. "I mean, I don't care, I'm not mad... but you did, right?"
Later my mom called and told me to tell them not to eat any of the tortillas, but by then the damage was done. So... it tastes like that? Shit.

Did you post this for Towel Day?
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2011, 11:45:48 pm
So, she either knows what semen in food tastes like or this is her first assumption? Hm. Well, good on you that she didn't have an issue with it.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2011, 12:06:29 am
Now you guys have me thinking about what it was like to date a girl who loved blowjobs. Hoo boy.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 12:10:05 am
Now you guys have me thinking about what it was like to date a girl who loved blowjobs. Hoo boy.

If at all possible, I advise marrying a woman like that. I'm just saying.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: side_show on May 26, 2011, 01:05:57 am
I have tasted semen that has flavours in common with the way bleach smells so I can definitely see how the connection could be made.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2011, 01:31:20 am
Is it wrong of me that I don't care if she likes them so long as she keeps giving them?
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2011, 03:08:43 am
hm. maybe.


Mostly, women who enjoy giving blowjobs are more likely to be good at it, and to want to do it more often.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 04:37:39 am
Is it wrong of me that I don't care if she likes them so long as she keeps giving them?

Not only is it wrong, I don't even believe you feel that way, considering the difference when the partner is enthusiastic.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2011, 05:39:49 am
I can recall instances where I could tell she was not into it, yet I did not want her to stop.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2011, 07:50:14 am
I'm still trying to get over 'I'm not mad, I'm ok with it.'
If someone put bodily fluids into my food without telling me I'd probably be mad and I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone that isn't.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 11:23:05 am
I'm still trying to get over 'I'm not mad, I'm ok with it.'
If someone put bodily fluids into my food without telling me I'd probably be mad and I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone that isn't.

You might not want to bring that person home to meet mom.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2011, 11:29:54 am
Don't ask them to bring desert anyway.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2011, 02:04:41 pm
...in a row?
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2011, 04:29:00 pm
yeah, that girl was INSANE. I think I have told stories before about how she wanted to do weird porn-y things. At that point in my life I was horrified, now I look back wistfully at all the opportunities I turned down.
...on the other hand, this is also a person who cheated on me with my best friend and refused to stop hanging out with him afterwards, so, you know. Shitty person.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2011, 04:36:51 pm
Could someone please make a note of this for Most Wandering Thread Award if we ever have another TOUAMBIES?
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: jay-ell on May 26, 2011, 05:07:27 pm
Yeah, this was impressive, even for us.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 11:36:56 pm
Well, the two winners for flavors were sweet and salty, so it's not that far off.
Title: Re: A Matter of Taste
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2011, 11:44:13 pm
Well, the two winners for flavors were sweet and salty, so it's not that far off.

yeah, that girl was INSANE. I think I have told stories before about how she wanted to do weird porn-y things. At that point in my life I was horrified, now I look back wistfully at all the opportunities I turned down.
...on the other hand, this is also a person who cheated on me with my best friend and refused to stop hanging out with him afterwards, so, you know. Shitty person.

Bittersweet.