Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Poll

Which is your favorite? Which do you crave?

Bitter
Salty
Sour
Sweet
Umami
I don't crave a flavor or have a favorite

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Matter of Taste  (Read 7860 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
A Matter of Taste
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:25 pm »

You can vote for more than one.

I've always said I could live the rest of my life without dessert, but take away salty fried Tortilla chips or sushi and I wouldn't want to live.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:39 pm »

Love nuts and beef jerky.  Macadamias, cashews, filberts, Brazil, hazel, etc.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

I got some Moose jerky coming back from Canada today.

consider me jealous.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:23:48 pm »

I only really eat salty snacks when nothing else is available. And I don't see the appeal of a bowl of mixed nuts at all. But after dinner I have to have something sweet, even if it's just one of those tiny candy bars.

But I do intend to try the Salty, Spicy, Sweet pizza* as soon as I can find a pizza place that has non-pickled chilis.


*Bacon, Jalapeno, Pinapple
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »

We get this on the plane as a snack:


Just me, amused by this? Adolescent? Perhaps.

I always bring the wrapper back to my wife. She thinks it's naughty.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 11:32:45 pm »

We get this on the plane as a snack:


Just me, amused by this? Adolescent? Perhaps.

no sir, i smirked at it, m'self.  sometimes i get this from the vending machine at school:



i like to refer to it as a "nut sack".
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03:26 am »

after dinner I have to have something sweet, even if it's just one of those tiny candy bars.

This. I've found a 35 calorie mini reese's cup will do wonders to keep me from overeating. If I don't have a little something sweet, I tend to want to keep eating past the point of satiety. I read somewhere a while ago that a little sweetness at the end of the meal triggers some hormone that makes you stop wanting to eat, but I can't find the reference now.

I crave everything except sour and bitter at one time or another. I just love food.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:29 am »

Cort-- that pizza combo is my favorite. But I usually get canadian bacon, for some reason.

I definitely crave things like cheeseburgers or pasta with spicy meat sauce, not snack foods...

until lately, when I have started having a hard-core sweet tooth. I thought I had lost it in college, but now I always want candy. It is this job's fault.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:49:14 am »

good god do NOT bring doritos into my house if you want either to leave with them or to leave me with some dignity. if you would rather watch me revert to neanderthal forager slash gitmo prisoner, by all means give me them GIVE ME THEM NOW

i don't have much of a sweet tooth but i can appreciate a nice chocolate or lemon dessert, so long as the whatevernut butter and mango is on other peoples' plates.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 01:14:00 pm »

I like 'em all.

I also agree with the bit o' sweet at the end of a meal thing.  Whether or not it has an effect on my appetite, I'm at least psychologically conditioned to expect something sweet after eating a meal, even if it's only a mint.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »

See I grew up in a non-dessert house hold, so the idea of this is foriegn to me.  I don't crave sweet, and I don't typically eat much after dinner either.

I'm especially interested in umami flavours in combinantion with salty.   Aparently Doritos, which have tons of glutimate on them are a near perfect synthisis of both, and of course sushi is all about umami combined with other tastes. 

Oh, and I once had a truffle infused hamburger at a 5 star resort that I will never forget.  Actually, I had it about four or five times within a the two week period I was there.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »

Sugar snap peas sauteed in sesame oil with a touch of fresh ground ginger, then drizzled with soy sauce just before serving.

Sweet + Umami, it's quite excellent.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:00 am »

Pussy is generally described as sweet, but it's really more of a savory flavor.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »

Pussy is generally described as sweet, but it's really more of a savory flavor.

MeFi's final assessment was it's like licking a 9-volt.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Taste
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:54:22 am »

Doesn't that usually depend on the individual being licked? Semen, likewise, is usually described as salty, but it varies widely with individual body chemistry and diet, and I've never encountered anything that I'd describe as salty.

I really hope neither my mother nor my kids ever find this board.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up