The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 17, 2011, 09:49:00 pm
-
I was talking to my nephew last weekend and when I asked what he was into musically these days he said Dubstep. I told him I had heard the term, but didn't know what it was about. He said it was like rap music, but without words. So that got me intrigued. I don't want to dive in blindly so I am asking you people, especially the younger generation, what are some good Dubstep groups to listen to?
I wonder if it has any resemblance to Anti-Which House (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2010/10/download_fuck_n.php)? About that link. I don't remember how I came across that, but it's fuck*ng awesome.
Anywhoo... Hook me up with some Dubstep.
-
"rap music without words" is how i jokingly refer to all electronic music (that doesnt have actual lyrics). also, i dont care enough about the differences between dubstep and "electronica" to know how to explain it properly. that being said, here are some examples i found:
1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRdMHbzjrlU)
2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZq-70w0uk)
3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw)
a baby eating chili and headbanging to some dubstep in the background. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzTrPrxxr-E)
a) IIRC, the baby's dad is the composer/creator/whatever of that song
b) she has better table manners than i do
-
I do not like dubstep, but as far as I can tell the main identifying characteristic is "the wubwubwubwubwub" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yIIPp8Wps). People who are into Dubstep talk about this a lot. This sound has been cropping up in a lot of pop music lately, including a new(ish?) Britney Spears track that I heard in my friend's car.
Anyway, it is one of those really specific genres of electronic dance music from the UK. I will try to remember who the big Dubstep guy is that everyone talks about. Hmm.
Witch House is funny in that it is a thing where a few bands were doing this really specific thing, and then people started calling it a sub-genre, and then people started hating on that subgenre immediately. Sometimes a few bands can be doing a similar thing without it being a whole new sub-genre, although I guess it is easy to explain things that way. "New sub-genre" instead of "oh, suddenly there are a couple of bands doing kind of similar things who all influence each other."
...maybe that is what a sub-genre is? Seems too specific to me.
-
I do not like dubstep, but as far as I can tell the main identifying characteristic is "the wubwubwubwubwub" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yIIPp8Wps).
Every time I've seen this thread title I've heard that noise in my head. That's kind of the extent of knowledge I have of Dubstep. Oh, that and Skrillex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylr6P76G3iQ
-
a baby eating chili and headbanging to some dubstep in the background. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzTrPrxxr-E)
a) IIRC, the baby's dad is the composer/creator/whatever of that song
b) she has better table manners than i do
I enjoy how the infant (toddler?) has this furrowed brow and she's banging her head and pumping her fist, but she's also very careful to wipe her mouth after every bite. Those parents are ok in my book.
-
Yeah, that's some good shit. All those tracks rock. I could definitely jam on that. Might go well with drugs.
-
I read this really good article that basically went from the 60s to now and talked about the drugs that inspired the popular genres. It was written because dub step apparently goes well with the high quality cannabis that has become such the rave. I think it was in the guardian or something, but I can't find it now.
It seems like more of an indica thing, I like to legally medicate with sativa. That is my way of saying I don't particularly like it, but it can be kinda cool. My roommate blasts it sometimes and has the room above mine, so, yeah...
-
The only Dubstep I'm familiar with is this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6bapqdiSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dek0diwQ0r0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOh6WEmTryU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2wE7BZel0
It seems kinda darker and more melancholic than the other stuff.
-
I read this really good article that basically went from the 60s to now and talked about the drugs that inspired the popular genres. It was written because dub step apparently goes well with the high quality cannabis that has become such the rave. I think it was in the guardian or something, but I can't find it now.
This may be it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/nov/16/drugs-music-link
-
After Paul started this thread, I found four separate references to dubstep in my Facebook feed by people who don't even know each other. Weird.
-
Dub step is huge right now, so it probably isnt that weird
-
also, I feel like for whatever reason nerds love it out of proportion to the rest of the population.
-
Are you saying my Facebook friends are nerds, Inev?
'Cause, yeah, that's a pretty accurate assessment.
-
also, I feel like for whatever reason nerds love it out of proportion to the rest of the population.
totally. everyone i know/of that likes dubstep is a major video game nerd. they all llisten to video game themes and music and chiptunes.
hell yes, socially and physically awkward people are allowed to sit in front of a TV or computer screen and listen to electronic-y/dance music for fun. i just find is strange.
-
based on reddit, nerds only like dubstep and The Black Keys. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWimOMVdHgE)
-
totally. everyone i know/of that likes dubstep is a major video game nerd. they all llisten to video game themes and music and chiptunes.
hell yes, socially and physically awkward people are allowed to sit in front of a TV or computer screen and listen to electronic-y/dance music for fun. i just find is strange.
Well, I suppose once my husband learns about Dubstep, that will be a thing for him then.
Dubstep is not for me though.
-
I really liked dubstep...until I went to, and just came back from Burning Man this week.
It was a week long unrelenting dubstep song. 24 hours a day, the only escape was sleep.
Wob wob wob wob wooooobwooooobwooooob wobwobwobwobwob wooooooobwoooooooooobwooooooooooob...in to infinity.
-
Yeah, Burning Man sounds like one of those things where...
There's some really fuck*ng cool stuff mixed in with tons upon tons of people who THINK they're really cool being lame as fuck.
Like you gotta be selective as hell to not have the awesome overwhelmed by the poseuring and the shilling.
Similar to any larger comic-con, I guess.
-
Actually the mix was a lot of really fuck*ng cool, with a little crap here and there. Then the last night it just became a huge orgiastic party.
Like...fireworks have been effectively ruined for me. Even the super huge Disney style productions. Friday I watched fireworks go off constantly, saturating 20 degrees of my vision mixed with liquid fuel explosions where I FELT the heat, and felt like I got punched in the chest. Then saturday the "Man" was in the middle of a bunch of constant fireworks and green and red liquid fuel explosions.
I mean watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIxJY9dHycw and then think about any municipal fireworks show.
Man, July 4th is going to be bullshit.
BUT... EVERYTHING was dubstep. I've only watched the clip muted, but I'm pretty sure there's some wobbing in there.
"Yes yes yes. Wobwobwob. You said that before!"
-
Smick, that was frikkin' awesome. Wow!
-
I found another great video (http://youtu.be/usXP8USnl68) of the color and lights of the playa.
-
Yea, it's a VERY pretty place. There seems to be a big art car/burning man overlap. I can't imagine you don't know people that go. There are some pretty amazing art cars out there. (They make a differentiation though that they're mutant vehicles vs. art cars, since art cars are pretty much street legal... I guess. They have some kind of secret sauce where they look at the car and go "Yea! It's a mutant vehicle, welcome!" or "No... it's just a car you've decorated... go away!".
At the risk of this becoming a "Burning Man Video" thread... here's a timelapse of the burn night. When they light the big fire, all the mutant vehicles circle around it. That's the big pool of light in the lower right corner. Normally that's just mostly vacant desert.
http://vimeo.com/28801666
It's a terribly beautiful place.
-
Fantastic vid. Yes, I know a bunch of burners.
-
I'm sold. On the last night anyway. Do you have to attend the entire week?
-
I think tickets are only available for the entire event, not sure. I guess you could just go for the final night, but it's not a cheap ticket. And it's not easy to get either. After growing larger every year they finally capped ticket sales at 50 thousand.
-
I just don't want to take that many days off to roast in the desert for a week. I try to escape the heat on vacation during the summer.
-
A lot of people just come for the last two days. I was able to kind of feel the difference. There was a lot more litter too.