Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dubstep  (Read 4195 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Dubstep
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:49:00 pm »

I was talking to my nephew last weekend and when I asked what he was into musically these days he said Dubstep.  I told him I had heard the term, but didn't know what it was about.  He said it was like rap music, but without words.  So that got me intrigued.  I don't want to dive in blindly so I am asking you people, especially the younger generation, what are some good Dubstep groups to listen to?

I wonder if it has any resemblance to Anti-Which House?  About that link. I don't remember how I came across that, but it's fuck*ng awesome.

Anywhoo... Hook me up with some Dubstep.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:13:50 pm »

"rap music without words" is how i jokingly refer to all electronic music (that doesnt have actual lyrics).  also, i dont care enough about the differences between dubstep and "electronica" to know how to explain it properly.  that being said, here are some examples i found:

1
2
3

a baby eating chili and headbanging to some dubstep in the background.
a) IIRC, the baby's dad is the composer/creator/whatever of that song
b) she has better table manners than i do
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:42:04 am »

I do not like dubstep, but as far as I can tell the main identifying characteristic is "the wubwubwubwubwub". People who are into Dubstep talk about this a lot. This sound has been cropping up in a lot of pop music lately, including a new(ish?) Britney Spears track that I heard in my friend's car.
Anyway, it is one of those really specific genres of electronic dance music from the UK. I will try to remember who the big Dubstep guy is that everyone talks about. Hmm.

Witch House is funny in that it is a thing where a few bands were doing this really specific thing, and then people started calling it a sub-genre, and then people started hating on that subgenre immediately. Sometimes a few bands can be doing a similar thing without it being a whole new sub-genre, although I guess it is easy to explain things that way. "New sub-genre" instead of "oh, suddenly there are a couple of bands doing kind of similar things who all influence each other."

...maybe that is what a sub-genre is? Seems too specific to me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »

I do not like dubstep, but as far as I can tell the main identifying characteristic is "the wubwubwubwubwub".

Every time I've seen this thread title I've heard that noise in my head.  That's kind of the extent of knowledge I have of Dubstep.   Oh, that and Skrillex.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylr6P76G3iQ

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

a baby eating chili and headbanging to some dubstep in the background.
a) IIRC, the baby's dad is the composer/creator/whatever of that song
b) she has better table manners than i do

I enjoy how the infant (toddler?) has this furrowed brow and she's banging her head and pumping her fist, but she's also very careful to wipe her mouth after every bite. Those parents are ok in my book.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:19:44 am »

Yeah, that's some good shit.  All those tracks rock.  I could definitely jam on that.  Might go well with drugs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:56 am »

I read this really good article that basically went from the 60s to now and talked about the drugs that inspired the popular genres.  It was written because dub step apparently goes well with the high quality cannabis that has become such the rave.  I think it was in the guardian or something, but I can't find it now.

It seems like more of an indica thing, I like to legally medicate with sativa.  That is my way of saying I don't particularly like it, but it can be kinda cool.  My roommate blasts it sometimes and has the room above mine, so, yeah...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:31:45 pm »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:51:53 pm »

I read this really good article that basically went from the 60s to now and talked about the drugs that inspired the popular genres.  It was written because dub step apparently goes well with the high quality cannabis that has become such the rave.  I think it was in the guardian or something, but I can't find it now.

This may be it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/nov/16/drugs-music-link
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:54:27 pm »

After Paul started this thread, I found four separate references to dubstep in my Facebook feed by people who don't even know each other. Weird.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »

Dub step is huge right now, so it probably isnt that weird
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »

also, I feel like for whatever reason nerds love it out of proportion to the rest of the population.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »

Are you saying my Facebook friends are nerds, Inev?

'Cause, yeah, that's a pretty accurate assessment.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 07:10:09 pm »

also, I feel like for whatever reason nerds love it out of proportion to the rest of the population.

totally.  everyone i know/of that likes dubstep is a major video game nerd.  they all llisten to video game themes and music and chiptunes.

hell yes, socially and physically awkward people are allowed to sit in front of a TV or computer screen and listen to electronic-y/dance music for fun.  i just find is strange.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dubstep
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 08:13:56 pm »

based on reddit, nerds only like dubstep and The Black Keys.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up