The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: miles on August 23, 2011, 12:31:22 pm

Title: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: miles on August 23, 2011, 12:31:22 pm
Damn, two of the great songwriters in one day.

Nick Ashford (of Ashford & Simpson) and Jerry Leiber (who co-wrote with Mike Stoller) (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8717601/Two-great-American-songwriters-die.html) passed away yesterday.

Does it get any better than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg)? Maybe, but not much.

More Ashford (including the Diana Ross version of above) and some Leiber tunes compiled:

http://www.hecklerspray.com/nick-ashfords-best-tunes-rip/201163219.php

http://www.hecklerspray.com/jerry-leibers-best-songs-rip/201163210.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/aug/23/jerry-leiber-nickolas-ashford
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: AugustWest on August 23, 2011, 03:12:35 pm
RIP Great Songwriter dudes.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2011, 03:31:44 pm
Dang, I don't have any speakers on my computer today.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2011, 05:30:07 pm
Nick Ashford co-wrote a bunch of the Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell songs. So bummed. I can't even say how important those songs are to me.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: miles on August 23, 2011, 06:39:54 pm
Nick Ashford co-wrote a bunch of the Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell songs. So bummed. I can't even say how important those songs are to me.

Ditto. If you haven't yet check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg

Of course the song is fantastic. Perfect, even. Few things move me like Marvin Gaye's voice, but one of the few are their voices combined. But I love the video. Those two are beautiful.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2011, 10:19:41 pm
I have that video on a Marvin DVD. I love that video.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2011, 11:22:17 pm
I knew I had a bunch of Ashford and Simpson scattered throughout my music collection. So I just searched Ashford on itunes and came up with a 15 song playlist of Ashford and Simpson hits from 9 different artist.  Did you know they wrote I Don't Need No Doctor by Humble Pie? 
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: miles on August 24, 2011, 12:08:01 am
I have that video on a Marvin DVD. I love that video.

What's the DVD title?
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2011, 12:23:52 am
I knew I had a bunch of Ashford and Simpson scattered throughout my music collection. So I just searched Ashford on itunes and came up with a 15 song playlist of Ashford and Simpson hits from 9 different artist.  Did you know they wrote I Don't Need No Doctor by Humble Pie? 

I knew about the Ray Charles version.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2011, 12:29:39 am
What's the DVD title?

It's this one (http://www.amazon.com/Marvin-Gaye-Thing-Performance-1964-1981/dp/B000EPFDAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314145498&sr=8-1). There are a couple weird things on there, and at least one live performance where he looks cracked like an egg, but the rest is sweet as hell.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2011, 02:04:16 am
What's the DVD title?

Whilst answering this question I discovered that my local video rental place (http://www.moviemadnessvideo.com/index.htm) has Save the Children (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128454/). I will be watching it this time home.
Title: Re: Ashford and Leiber
Post by: miles on September 01, 2011, 03:05:46 am
It's this one (http://www.amazon.com/Marvin-Gaye-Thing-Performance-1964-1981/dp/B000EPFDAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314145498&sr=8-1). There are a couple weird things on there, and at least one live performance where he looks cracked like an egg, but the rest is sweet as hell.

Bought it. fuck*ng awesome. Thanks for the tip!