Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ashford and Leiber  (Read 2296 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ashford and Leiber
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:31:22 pm »

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:37:14 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »

RIP Great Songwriter dudes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:31:44 pm »

Dang, I don't have any speakers on my computer today.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »

Nick Ashford co-wrote a bunch of the Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell songs. So bummed. I can't even say how important those songs are to me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »

Nick Ashford co-wrote a bunch of the Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell songs. So bummed. I can't even say how important those songs are to me.

Ditto. If you haven't yet check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg

Of course the song is fantastic. Perfect, even. Few things move me like Marvin Gaye's voice, but one of the few are their voices combined. But I love the video. Those two are beautiful.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »

I have that video on a Marvin DVD. I love that video.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:22:17 pm »

I knew I had a bunch of Ashford and Simpson scattered throughout my music collection. So I just searched Ashford on itunes and came up with a 15 song playlist of Ashford and Simpson hits from 9 different artist.  Did you know they wrote I Don't Need No Doctor by Humble Pie? 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:08:01 am »

I have that video on a Marvin DVD. I love that video.

What's the DVD title?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:23:52 am »

I knew I had a bunch of Ashford and Simpson scattered throughout my music collection. So I just searched Ashford on itunes and came up with a 15 song playlist of Ashford and Simpson hits from 9 different artist.  Did you know they wrote I Don't Need No Doctor by Humble Pie? 

I knew about the Ray Charles version.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:39 am »

What's the DVD title?

It's this one. There are a couple weird things on there, and at least one live performance where he looks cracked like an egg, but the rest is sweet as hell.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:04:16 am »

What's the DVD title?

Whilst answering this question I discovered that my local video rental place has Save the Children. I will be watching it this time home.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Ashford and Leiber
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 03:05:46 am »

It's this one. There are a couple weird things on there, and at least one live performance where he looks cracked like an egg, but the rest is sweet as hell.

Bought it. fuck*ng awesome. Thanks for the tip!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up