The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on September 09, 2011, 06:03:23 pm

Title: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Asherdan on September 09, 2011, 06:03:23 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2011, 06:12:55 pm
Hey, Rodeo at Ash's corral.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on September 09, 2011, 06:32:46 pm
Ah, our own private "LFMF" thread. It's about time.

I (re-)learned recently that you should always, always get a solid dollar amount before you ask your lawn guy to do extra work. It was still a bargain for the amount of hours he put in, but I seriously underestimated the amount of work involved and was seriously unprepared to write a check $250.

We covered it fine, but that money was supposed to stay in our savings account for a rainy day, and Pedro was kind of pissed about it.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2011, 07:31:58 pm
write a check $250.

Dang, that's a lot of yardwork.

Also, what is LFMF?
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2011, 07:56:12 pm
"Learn From My Fail"
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: side_show on September 09, 2011, 10:39:03 pm
I learned that when a person makes you some traditional home cooked food of their culture that there is a good possibility you are about to be ruined for eating at ethnic food restaurants of that culture, because it is unlikely that the food you get at any restaurant will be even moderately as good as the home cooked version.  My coworker Rajinder brought me samosas today and now I'm ruined.  I have previously been ruined when it comes to perogies due to another coworker's wife's Ukrainian cooking too.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on September 10, 2011, 01:33:08 am
I learned the other day that if you are in a super huge hurry and you decide to just give your hair a quick rinse in the shower without shampooing, you should remember before you blow it out not to add any more styling product, because the stuff you put on after your shower the day before is still in there and your hair will look worse than it did before you half-ass "washed" it.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 10, 2011, 02:34:32 pm
I learned that when a person makes you some traditional home cooked food of their culture that there is a good possibility you are about to be ruined for eating at ethnic food restaurants of that culture, because it is unlikely that the food you get at any restaurant will be even moderately as good as the home cooked version. 

Ain't that the truth?  My MIL tutors a couple of Indian kids, and a couple months ago their dad gave her some homemade butter chicken. She said it was too spicy and gave it to me. IT WAS FRICKIN' AWESOME. I've asked her to arrange for me to go to her house for a cooking lesson. I've tried several butter chicken recipes at home and never come close to as good as any local Indian restaurant, let alone this guy's version.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 10, 2011, 06:37:01 pm
Butter chicken you say.  I've never heard of it.  Sounds good, but of course having butter in the name it would.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 10, 2011, 07:18:19 pm
If you've ever been to an Indian buffet, you've probably had it, or at least seen it. It's also called chicken tikka masala, or "the national dish of England."
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 10, 2011, 07:26:14 pm
Of course.  I have had that.  Never heard it called butter chicken.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Mr Trout on September 10, 2011, 08:30:29 pm
I worked with a guy from Sudan and during Ramadan he would bring in all these amazing dishes from the night before. Since they fasted during the day, and didn't eat leftovers at night he always had a surplus of amazing food he would bring in.

My favorite was this really spicy chicken that had some kind of dry rub on it. You would just tear chunks off and dip it in this spicy sauce. I can't remember what it was called, but I've never had chicken that good before or since.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: side_show on September 10, 2011, 09:38:05 pm
At least in my understanding, tikka masala is not butter chicken - they are distinctly different recipes, and from what I understand from my cook books they're from different regions of India, with slightly different ingredients and are prepared differently, although both are awesome.  I've ordered both at once from my fav restaurant, and found I like Butter Chicken better (richer and more complex tasting).  Butter Chicken is sometimes called murgh makhani, but I've been told by people of Indian ancestry that calling it that is actually a mostly Western practice, as it's typically called butter chicken in India. 

Regardless: I <3 Indian food, and my pal Rajinder has ruined me for ordering both samosas and butter chicken at this point.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: side_show on September 11, 2011, 01:18:43 am
Today I learned that taking a Gravol will not help me with my anxiety over the dentist.  I will just be drowsy and extremely anxious at the same time, which is actually worse.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on September 11, 2011, 01:33:38 am
Today I learned that if you add food coloring to a bucket of water and then throw in a chunk of dry ice, the cloud it makes is still white. Ah, well.

I also learned that dry ice is really cheap, and my parents were a little bit lame.

I always thought they never got me dry ice to do Science with because it was hard to get and expensive, but it turns out it's $0.75/lb at the grocery store and they were just too lazy to supervise me with it.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: wombat on September 11, 2011, 01:54:15 am
Really? I always thought it was expensive and hard to get also. Huh.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 11, 2011, 02:14:52 am
I think it used to be more expensive and/or hard to get than it is today.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 11, 2011, 03:39:12 am
I think it used to be more expensive and/or hard to get than it is today.

And yet people still believe in global warming.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on September 29, 2011, 05:54:58 pm
If you're walking home from the mall on a warm fall day, don't turn your iPod to the playlist that contains the soundtrack to a post-apocalyptic video game in which you do a lot of walking through ruined urban areas. You will be seized by the urge to check other people's mailboxes and garbage cans for ammunition and skill books.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 28, 2011, 09:30:11 pm
I guess add marginally aged dairy products to the list of things people over 30 are scared of.  Right under boner pill/gout medication drug interactions. I do not miss the future.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2011, 11:55:57 pm
... people over 30...

It could happen to you.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 29, 2011, 03:42:01 am
I find my boner pills go down well with aged cheese.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: theinevitable on October 29, 2011, 08:29:56 pm
You are now aware that Al Capone is responsible for milk expiration dates. (http://m.tnonline.com/2011/jun/18/milk-expiration-dates-courtesy-al-capone)
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2011, 11:23:02 pm
Remember, sometimes boner pills are a recreational drug.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on November 08, 2011, 04:47:35 am
Today's lesson, also from the department of geriatric complaints: if you have certain pills you have to take every morning and certain other pills you have to take every night, for fuck's sake, keep the bottles separate!
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2011, 09:59:03 pm
"Do you know where Falencia's office is?"
"[first name] Valencia? Yes ma'am, she's in this cubicle"
"NO. I said FALENCIA."
"yeah, that's [first name]. This is her office right here."
"FALENCIA."
"..."

Lesson of the day: there is [name] Valencia, and there is another woman down the hall whose first name is Falencia.

So I guess I'm the jerk here. Sure felt uppity about it at the time.

we're all That Guy sometimes.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: smick on November 09, 2011, 02:08:19 am
I met a nice French couple once when I was traveling.

I expended my knowledge of French in introducing myself, and jokingly saying that the hike we were on was easy.    They told me their names, and... her name was "Hose-ah-nine."

I kept repeating it, "HOSE-AH-NINE?" until finally she just nodded and smiled.   I came away feeling like an ugly american.    Later I was informed by a guest register that "Rosalyn" with a deep French accent hits my ear in the worst way.

(I also felt like Viktor Krum in The Goblet of Fire trying to say Hermione's name.  "HERMY-OH-NINNY")
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2011, 04:58:17 am
(I also felt like Viktor Krum in The Goblet of Fire trying to say Hermione's name.  "HERMY-OH-NINNY")

until i heard someone else say it out loud, i wasnt much better.  all saying, "her-me-OWN" in my head...
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on November 09, 2011, 05:42:19 pm
Lesson of the Day: certain bullet vibrators with a wireless remote are tuned to the same frequency, meaning that you can control more than one with the same remote.

Hopefully you will discover this by having the lady at the sex shop test the one you are about to buy and noticing that the other one on the countertop also vibrates when she turns on yours.
Hopefully you will not discover, while out to dinner with your date, that someone else in the restaurant has one, too.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 09, 2011, 06:33:14 pm
Today I learned there is actually something that annoys me more than someone piling onto the elevator as soon as the door opens, not giving the people ON the elevator the opportunity to get out.

And that thing is: people getting OFF the elevator, standing immediately in front of the doors, looking around bewildered, and dicking around long enough that the elevator closes behind them, before anyone can get on.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Mr Trout on November 09, 2011, 06:41:01 pm
Variation of this:

Someone holds open the door of a train on the near tracks for so long that in the meantime your train arrives and departs on the far tracks, causing you to be late for work.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: wombat on November 09, 2011, 08:44:50 pm
Today I learned that there are vibrators with remote controls.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 03:41:34 pm
Today I learned that there are vibrators with remote controls.

Pouring one out for lost innocence.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2011, 05:16:03 pm
If you use an electric device to remove hair from your legs, don't do your ankles first, then change your mind and decide to start at the top and work your way down past the knee. You will run out of batteries, and it will look like you are wearing fuzzy legwarmers.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2011, 06:07:25 pm
Pouring one out for lost innocence.

But I haven't figured out why you'd want to be far enough away from a vibrator that you'd need a remote control, so I must still have some innocence left.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 07:32:27 pm
But I haven't figured out why you'd want to be far enough away from a vibrator that you'd need a remote control, so I must still have some innocence left.

Do you ever.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 07:35:35 pm
The only problem with that deal for practical purposes is that those vibrators tend to make a fair bit of noise.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2011, 07:39:42 pm
Actually I can imagine it would be useful for practical jokes, and the noise would be good for that.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 07:40:52 pm
Actually I can imagine it would be useful for practical jokes, and the noise would be good for that.

Yeah . . . . our minds aren't exactly on the same wavelength here, but that sure is one thing you could do with it.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2011, 08:38:29 pm
But I haven't figured out why you'd want to be far enough away from a vibrator that you'd need a remote control, so I must still have some innocence left.

Should I tell her, guys? Or should I let her keep her innocence and just let her go on thinking that some people are very, very tall?
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2011, 09:28:43 pm
The only problem with that deal for practical purposes is that those vibrators tend to make a fair bit of noise.

The lady at the store told me which ones were quietest, and she put batteries in them so I could decide. The one I got is very stealthy.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Doc on November 11, 2011, 02:23:48 am
So if when Pedro uses that in public he has to say 'Stealth mode: Activated'
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2011, 03:54:28 pm
If you go to sleep with a little bit of popcorn kernel stuck in your teeth, it will still be there in the morning. 
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: miles on November 12, 2011, 08:16:18 pm
Lesson of the Day: certain bullet vibrators with a wireless remote are tuned to the same frequency, meaning that you can control more than one with the same remote.

Hopefully you will discover this by having the lady at the sex shop test the one you are about to buy and noticing that the other one on the countertop also vibrates when she turns on yours.
Hopefully you will not discover, while out to dinner with your date, that someone else in the restaurant has one, too.

I'm pretty sure this is a scene straight out of the movie Shortbus.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 12, 2011, 09:20:27 pm
That movie is delightful.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: miles on November 12, 2011, 09:40:37 pm
Oh no, make her look it up on the internets.

Or, she could just watch Shortbus.
Title: Re: Lesson of the Day...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 13, 2011, 01:12:29 am
Or, she could just watch Shortbus.

Odds of that happening = odds of Wombat and Oatmeal co-writing a book.