The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on September 17, 2011, 01:26:11 pm
-
Is it a false dichotomy to separate people into Van Halen and Van Hagar camps? I ask because a new co-worker (that I was stuck in the truck with for about ten hours) held forth lovingly about how much he enjoyed the Sammy Hagar-led version of Van Halen, and my stomach roiled. I'm all for Bad Motor Scooter (http://youtu.be/tk52nGxF-jc), but other than that, I'm not a big Sammy fan.
-
Sammy's got some good shit, but the David Lee Roth era is superior in my book. I don't entirely blame Sammy though. His arrival roughly coincided with Eddie deciding to play a lot of boring ass slow jams on the synth.
-
A friend of mine was a pro-Sammy Van Halen fan, and I had to be in a van with him for a total of eight hours of Hagar-era Van Halen listening. I really new nothing of Van Halen before hand. Now I know I generally dislike the pre-Hagar Van Halen and intensely dislike Hagar era Van Halen. I'm sure if I was forced to be in a vehicle for eight hours of David Lee Roth I'd have more strong negative feelings about him too though. Oh man, that was a torture ride. Sorry you had to go through it too.
-
Diamond Dave for the win. All the classics came out of the early period. No question.
-
Probably the only Hagar song I know is Right Now, which I've hated since I first heard it on that Crystal Pepsi ad from years ago. Which I guess is JL's point, what classics came from Hagar?
I'm with Paul though on the explanation. Can't blame it all on Sammy. It's kind of like AC/DC (but not really at all). Bon Scott is clearly the better vocalist, but AC/DC just became a different band with Back in Black.
-
His arrival roughly coincided with Eddie deciding to play a lot of boring ass slow jams on the synth.
This is a salient point. Eddie did kind of use his new level of power with a fresh frontman to start taking a fun party rock band way the hell too seriously.
The problem might be the transition itself not who replaced in the transition.
-
Diamond Dave for the win. All the classics came out of the early period. No question.
I guess I'm right, then - there are two kinds of people in this world.
-
I've independently observed this before, I think Van Halen is pretty much *the* band for this dichotomy, for reasons illuminated by Paul. You don't get a lot of people arguing about whether Skynyrd was better with Ronnie or Johnny. While the '77 crash was tragic, it left the sound and style of the band fundamentally unchanged.
However, I'd say there are 3 kind of people in the world: Roth fans, Hagar fans, and people who ask, "Van who?"
-
i'd like to make a dracula joke but i'm no cecconi
-
All I get out of Van Halen is the guitar playing. I think I like the earlier stuff? Will google when not at work.
-
Earlier guitar parts are less bloop-bloop-bleep.
-
This is a salient point. Eddie did kind of use his new level of power with a fresh frontman to start taking a fun party rock band way the hell too seriously.
To be fair, Eddie was already well on his way to synthland before Hagar arrived. And Van Halen was never a democracy. it's always been Eddie's band.
-
To be fair, Eddie was already well on his way to synthland before Hagar arrived. And Van Halen was never a democracy. it's always been Eddie's band.
he gave the band his last name and said, "get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!"
-
Which singer is singing in this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lwocmL9dQ)
-
Which singer is singing in this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lwocmL9dQ)
What am I, 900 years old now? I watched two and a half minutes and thought "self-indulgent".
-
Silly AC/DC side note: when I first heard "Dirty Deeds" I seriously thought it was "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief," and along with what I thought was a stereotypical aboriginal-style drum beat, I thought they were being underlying racist. I thought this for probably 10 years or longer before I realized my mistake.
-
Silly AC/DC side note: when I first heard "Dirty Deeds" I seriously thought it was "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief," and along with what I thought was a stereotypical aboriginal-style drum beat, I thought they were being underlying racist. I thought this for probably 10 years or longer before I realized my mistake.
hell of a mondegreen...
-
What am I, 900 years old now? I watched two and a half minutes and thought "self-indulgent".
If it means anything, I felt that way when I first heard it in my late teen/early twenties.
I did listen to Ain't Talking 'Bout Love for the first time for real a few minutes and that is a pretty alright song if the singer wasn't there. I really have a thing for songs that don't change though.
Also, as I understand the dude uses a shit load of phaser and there is phaser on those two tracks (eruption and ain't talking bout love) and, man, you just shouldn't use that much phaser, or any of those effects. Some yeah, but like, I don't know, two songs per album. Exception- you are using a flanger and yer band is Olivia Tremor Control.
-
I am a really big fan of the way that sometimes a 12-string guitar sounds like permanent phaser. YEAH.
I hated guitar playing like EVH until very recently, when I saw Decline and Fall of Western Civilization: The Metal Years. This kind of guitar playing comes out of a similar testosterone-filled teenage male impulse as punk music does. HOLY SHIT, I'M A MAN, LOOK AT MY GUITAR PLAYING. LOOK AT IT. HOLY SHIT, THESE LOUD NOISES! YEAHH! I'M GOING TO PLAY SO FAST! AHHHHHHHH MY DICKKKKKKKKKBOOOOONNEEEEE!
I can only take it for so long, though. That super-long video is a bit much. But the album version of Eruption, where it's just all these un-connected flashy riffs... I just can't hate something that weird and goofy and testosterone filled.
I originally heard "Dirty Deeds and they're done to sheep."
-
I originally heard "Dirty Deeds and they're done to sheep."
Ha! Bon Scott always hated those sheep fuckers to the east.
-
ALSO: who brought up AC/DC? Because I am straight torn on that one. Back in Black is maybe one of the seminal albums in my world. But what came before and was interrupted could might ought have been even greater than what came later (even though it is awesome on a bun for me, still).
So yeah, hella conflicted on AC/DC.
That was me. If there's a thread about late 70s rock, I can't seem to help bringing them up. To me, there is no doubt they would have been greater. Bon Scott AC/DC is like the best hard-blues-rock ever made. The band had started to work on Back in Black before Bon died, and it kills me to think how much more awesome it could have been if he had helped to complete it. And it certainly wouldn't have been their last great album. I know tons of people love Brian Johnson AC/DC, but for me, it's wildly inconsistent (except Back in Black, which kicks fuck*ng ass), and at its best it still doesn't even come close to touching something like, say, Squealer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJFqCfCqAk). Goddamn.
-
I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.
-
I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.
Does Brian Johnson play bagpipes? More to the point, did Brian Johnson create the greatest bagpipe including rock song of all time? No? Fuck that guy.
As someone who kinda likes Bon Scott AC/DC (mainly Long way to the top...) I don't really dig Brian Johnson Ac/dc, but yeah, I ain't really a fan of either I suppose, so maybe that is the difference.
Actually, after going through some early AC/DC on youtube, I think I do like them. Last time this happened though I downloaded some of their albums and didn't dig them. Also, watching them on the It's a Long... video (the one with them on a truck driving through Melbourne) I remembered I am living with this Australian hipster (in a good way- I am tired of having hipster have negative connotations, those people should be called scensters or something). He is cool and has the same name as me, so we can be all "hey Jough" then the other person an say likewise. Or sometimes one of us will say the name and then both of us say squared in a corny way. It is fun!
He is here for a month until he goes to Mexico to do some oceanography volunteering then is spending like a year in South America/Central America. All we have done is get high and listen to music, but I have yet to make him listen to Tropicalismo (Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, Tom Ze). He is leaving in ten days now, I got to get on that.
-
Brian Johnson also doesn't play the recorder. I won't link to it, because I've linked to it like five times here.
-
I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.
Oh, definitely. Which is why included the following disclaimer in my first post.
It's kind of like AC/DC (but not really at all).
As I said above, I just tend to bring them up on any remotely related thread. However, while I don't hate Brian Johnson, I don't particularly like him either.
-
I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.
Well I'm kinda like that with Van Halen too. The difference, obviously is that Angus didn't suddenly decide to start playing fuck*ng synth.