Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Van Halen  (Read 4054 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Van Halen
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »

Is it a false dichotomy to separate people into Van Halen and Van Hagar camps? I ask because a new co-worker (that I was stuck in the truck with for about ten hours) held forth lovingly about how much he enjoyed the Sammy Hagar-led version of Van Halen, and my stomach roiled. I'm all for Bad Motor Scooter, but other than that, I'm not a big Sammy fan.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »

Sammy's got some good shit, but the David Lee Roth era is superior in my book.  I don't entirely blame Sammy though.  His arrival roughly coincided with Eddie deciding to play a lot of boring ass slow jams on the synth. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »

A friend of mine was a pro-Sammy Van Halen fan, and I had to be in a van with him for a total of eight hours of Hagar-era Van Halen listening.  I really new nothing of Van Halen before hand.  Now I know I generally dislike the pre-Hagar Van Halen and intensely dislike Hagar era Van Halen.  I'm sure if I was forced to be in a vehicle for eight hours of David Lee Roth I'd have more strong negative feelings about him too though.  Oh man, that was a torture ride.  Sorry you had to go through it too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »

Diamond Dave for the win. All the classics came out of the early period. No question.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »

Probably the only Hagar song I know is Right Now, which I've hated since I first heard it on that Crystal Pepsi ad from years ago. Which I guess is JL's point, what classics came from Hagar?

I'm with Paul though on the explanation. Can't blame it all on Sammy. It's kind of like AC/DC (but not really at all). Bon Scott is clearly the better vocalist, but AC/DC just became a different band with Back in Black.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

Quote from: pmcd9
His arrival roughly coincided with Eddie deciding to play a lot of boring ass slow jams on the synth.

This is a salient point. Eddie did kind of use his new level of power with a fresh frontman to start taking a fun party rock band way the hell too seriously.

The problem might be the transition itself not who replaced in the transition.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:18:10 pm »

Diamond Dave for the win. All the classics came out of the early period. No question.

I guess I'm right, then - there are two kinds of people in this world.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:15:24 pm »

I've independently observed this before, I think Van Halen is pretty much *the* band for this dichotomy, for reasons illuminated by Paul. You don't get a lot of people arguing about whether Skynyrd was better with Ronnie or Johnny. While the '77 crash was tragic, it left the sound and style of the band fundamentally unchanged.

However, I'd say there are 3 kind of people in the world: Roth fans, Hagar fans, and people who ask, "Van who?"
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »

i'd like to make a dracula joke but i'm no cecconi
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:52 pm »

All I get out of Van Halen is the guitar playing. I think I like the earlier stuff? Will google when not at work.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »

Earlier guitar parts are less bloop-bloop-bleep.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:13 am »

This is a salient point. Eddie did kind of use his new level of power with a fresh frontman to start taking a fun party rock band way the hell too seriously.

To be fair, Eddie was already well on his way to synthland before Hagar arrived.  And Van Halen was never a democracy.  it's always been Eddie's band.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 01:04:37 am »

To be fair, Eddie was already well on his way to synthland before Hagar arrived.  And Van Halen was never a democracy.  it's always been Eddie's band.

he gave the band his last name and said, "get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!"
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 02:53:00 am »

Which singer is singing in this?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 03:51:19 am »

Which singer is singing in this?

What am I, 900 years old now? I watched two and a half minutes and thought "self-indulgent".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up