The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 09, 2011, 09:16:15 pm

Title: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: pmcd9 on October 09, 2011, 09:16:15 pm
This might actually belong in the Facebook is the new Email.  It's it's own subsection I feel.

Now that Steve Jobs has died he is rapidly becoming canonized.

"Three apples that changed the world. The one Eve Ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Built."

I've seen a bunch of this kind of stuff on Facebook.  Posted from their Droids no doubt.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 09, 2011, 10:36:36 pm
some guys get their dicks sucked even after theyre dead....
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: jaydub on October 10, 2011, 05:34:15 pm
Immediately after Jobs' death was announced I was not surprised by the general reaction; people love their apple-y things and he had become a familiar face at the various launches and so forth.  I am surprised by the ongoing lionization of the man however - usually The Mob tires of building someone up and gets to the business of knocking them off their pedestal by now.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: miles on October 10, 2011, 06:31:18 pm
You forget that Apple is a cult. We didn't just lose a great business leader, we lost a prophet.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 11, 2011, 12:16:15 am
Dollars to donuts that Apple is working up a line of "Jobs Memorial" product upgrades.

I mean, if they aren't dumb-asses, they should be.

probably started before he even stepped down  ;)
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2011, 12:21:01 am
probably started before he even stepped down  ;)

Poor guy probably spent his last days autographing special edition commemorative iphones and ipads.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: miles on October 11, 2011, 03:25:48 am
Paul mentioned the ghost of Steve Jobs in another thread and it made me chuckle. And then I immediately pictured a meme that fuses Cancer Jesus and Steve Jobs worship. Maybe I should feel guilty and maybe it's too soon, but I chuckled some more.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2011, 04:21:49 am
I'm thinking of staying home on Halloween just so I don't have to see 500 Steve Jobs plus another 100 zombie Steve Jobs
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: Nabubrush on October 11, 2011, 05:03:27 am
As a Lego VIP, I had access to a Lego apple this month. It has immediately been offered on eBay as the Steve Jobs memorial apple.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: wombat on October 11, 2011, 12:31:37 pm
As a Lego VIP

A what?
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2011, 01:57:29 pm
What happened with Legos? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitDWAx6_eA)
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2011, 03:04:09 pm
That scene singlehandedly makes me want to start watching that show. Something about Omar asking what happened to Legos tickles me more than anything else could.

I think I played with Legos in an intermediate era-- many of my Legos were themed, but the Branded Legos were at the very tail end of my Lego years. I think I had an X-Wing, and shortly after that I stopped playing with Legos.
That set frustrated me, because I felt like I couldn't take the X-Wing apart without "ruining" the set. Never felt that way about pirate ships, space ships, etc. They went right in the bin.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: jay-ell on October 11, 2011, 03:50:04 pm
We talked about this before, but I'll say it again: I had my brother's hand-me-down Lego sets, some of which dated back to before Minifigs were released in 1978. Yeah, I had some of these:

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Lego-minifigs-old.jpg)

And some even older ones that used 2x2 bricks as body pieces.

I was twelve before I realized that Lego sets came with instructions.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: Choop on October 11, 2011, 03:51:21 pm
[aside re: community - if you're going to start watching it, start at the beginning. the first few shows are rough, bu tthe formula starts to gel after that. the second season is one of the best efforts to hit the small screen in ages, by leaps and bounds my favorite show of last year. so far, the third season reminds me of the first - the formula has a couple mutations to its variables, and the result is a bit less fun than last year's. so far, omar is really good but that's about it.]
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: miles on October 12, 2011, 01:35:01 am
That scene singlehandedly makes me want to start watching that show. Something about Omar asking what happened to Legos tickles me more than anything else could.

Oh man do I miss me some Omar.

Anybody watch Breaking Bad Sunday night? Shit was insane.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: wombat on October 12, 2011, 01:45:36 am
What happened with Legos? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitDWAx6_eA)

Whaaa....?

This thread has gotten so confusing.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: miles on October 12, 2011, 02:12:32 am
Clearly TOUAMB is not as enamored of Jobs as everyone else seems to be. I mean, the thread didn't even make it one page before veering off topic.

But I guess that's not too unusual.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: smick on October 12, 2011, 02:36:31 am
Pay attention!  LEGO VIP! LEGO VIP! LEGO VIP!
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 12, 2011, 12:51:52 pm
any day now i expect to see some 'steve jobs facts' just like that stupid chuck norris meme.
Title: Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2011, 05:56:04 am
This thing here is made completely of very basic pieces, and it's pretty cool:

(http://cdn.hypebeast.com/image/2011/09/lego-architecture-frank-lloyd-wright-robie-house-1.jpg)