Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve Jobs Mythology  (Read 3780 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Steve Jobs Mythology
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:16:15 pm »

This might actually belong in the Facebook is the new Email.  It's it's own subsection I feel.

Now that Steve Jobs has died he is rapidly becoming canonized.

"Three apples that changed the world. The one Eve Ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Built."

I've seen a bunch of this kind of stuff on Facebook.  Posted from their Droids no doubt.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:36:36 pm »

some guys get their dicks sucked even after theyre dead....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:15 pm »

Immediately after Jobs' death was announced I was not surprised by the general reaction; people love their apple-y things and he had become a familiar face at the various launches and so forth.  I am surprised by the ongoing lionization of the man however - usually The Mob tires of building someone up and gets to the business of knocking them off their pedestal by now.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »

You forget that Apple is a cult. We didn't just lose a great business leader, we lost a prophet.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:16:15 am »

Dollars to donuts that Apple is working up a line of "Jobs Memorial" product upgrades.

I mean, if they aren't dumb-asses, they should be.

probably started before he even stepped down  ;)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:21:01 am »

probably started before he even stepped down  ;)

Poor guy probably spent his last days autographing special edition commemorative iphones and ipads.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25:48 am »

Paul mentioned the ghost of Steve Jobs in another thread and it made me chuckle. And then I immediately pictured a meme that fuses Cancer Jesus and Steve Jobs worship. Maybe I should feel guilty and maybe it's too soon, but I chuckled some more.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:21:49 am »

I'm thinking of staying home on Halloween just so I don't have to see 500 Steve Jobs plus another 100 zombie Steve Jobs
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 05:03:27 am »

As a Lego VIP, I had access to a Lego apple this month. It has immediately been offered on eBay as the Steve Jobs memorial apple.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 12:31:37 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 01:57:29 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 03:04:09 pm »

That scene singlehandedly makes me want to start watching that show. Something about Omar asking what happened to Legos tickles me more than anything else could.

I think I played with Legos in an intermediate era-- many of my Legos were themed, but the Branded Legos were at the very tail end of my Lego years. I think I had an X-Wing, and shortly after that I stopped playing with Legos.
That set frustrated me, because I felt like I couldn't take the X-Wing apart without "ruining" the set. Never felt that way about pirate ships, space ships, etc. They went right in the bin.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 03:50:04 pm »

We talked about this before, but I'll say it again: I had my brother's hand-me-down Lego sets, some of which dated back to before Minifigs were released in 1978. Yeah, I had some of these:



And some even older ones that used 2x2 bricks as body pieces.

I was twelve before I realized that Lego sets came with instructions.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »

[aside re: community - if you're going to start watching it, start at the beginning. the first few shows are rough, bu tthe formula starts to gel after that. the second season is one of the best efforts to hit the small screen in ages, by leaps and bounds my favorite show of last year. so far, the third season reminds me of the first - the formula has a couple mutations to its variables, and the result is a bit less fun than last year's. so far, omar is really good but that's about it.]
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Steve Jobs Mythology
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:35:01 am »

That scene singlehandedly makes me want to start watching that show. Something about Omar asking what happened to Legos tickles me more than anything else could.

Oh man do I miss me some Omar.

Anybody watch Breaking Bad Sunday night? Shit was insane.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up