The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 06:05:36 am
-
Tis the season. Let me start off the conversation with this (http://www.regretsy.com/audio/xmas/Major_Bill_Smith_and_Nancy_Nolte_Happy_Birthday_Jesus.mp3). Enjoy.
-
Hosted on Regretsy. Made me think you were referencing
this kerfuffle (http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/05/cats-1-kids-0/) somehow.
-
No, but I did post that over in the thread where we were talking about paypal.
Wait, there's more (http://www.regretsy.com/2011/11/30/merry-shitmas/)!
-
Keep humping that chicken, guy. We've been rocking on Christmas and listening to this crap since the 1600's.
http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs4.htm
-
This article (http://www.salon.com/2011/12/05/the_infantile_style_in_american_politics/) had a line which reminded me of this perennial battle:
“the effort of Americans of diverse cultural and moral persuasions to win reassurance that their values are respected by the community at large…Such persons believe that their prestige in the community, even their selef-esteem, depends on having these values honored in public.
I'm always waiting for a customer to get mad at me when I say Happy Holidays. But so far it seems like people in St Louis are sane, in that one way at least.
-
I say Merry Christmas, because that's what I celebrate. If someone wants to come back at me with "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Solstice" or just a non-committal "Happy Holidays" or "Happy New Year," I welcome it. If I know someone to be Jewish or pagan, I will wish them the appropriate greeting for their religion, but in cashier-at-the-supermarket situations, I just say M.C. because that's what feels most natural to me.
Especially since a lot of atheist and agnostic people celebrate a secular Christmas, which is fine with me. Some Christians get upset about that, but I figure, peace on earth, goodwill and all that jazz, I'm willing to share my holiday with whoever wants a piece of it, whether you believe in the Baby Jeebus or not.
-
Do any of the sects other than catholic actually call their services "mass?" If not then shouldn't we be putting the mass back in christMas?
-
I think some of the Orthodox churches, the CofE, and maybe the Lutherans? Old-school Christianity anyway. Oh, and Satanists, right?
-
I don't celebrate anything during this time of year, so no matter what somebody says to me I tell them to get fucked.
-
I like to flip the script on people and ask them what's with the war on New Years?
I mean, like, originally, Happy Holidays wasn't even about cultural sensitivity, it was just a catchall for Christmas and New Years for people you weren't gonna see again until a while after New Years.
So I start frothing about New Years not getting respected and... occasionally... they even get what I'm actually doing with it.
I'm agnostic but I am damn fine with having big parties because the days are getting longer again and if you wanna call it "Christmas" it's just a word.
It's all just arbitrary markers these people are fighting over, it is as inconsequential to reality as a border is.
-
I try not to speak at all to strangers.
-
I had a really funny moment where this young girl I work with came around handing out candy canes. She sort of froze up when trying to explain herself, clearly because she didn't want to say "Christmas" for fear of offending someone, so I helped her out by saying "oh you're handing these out for Decemberween?" and somehow I guess she decided I had given her the perfectly PC thing to say as I heard her moving from cubicle to cubicle saying "Happy Decemberween!" It was sort of adorable. I'm fairly certain she had no idea what I was referring to. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9X3O3Bg06g) This is the same young lady, who all wide eyed and sincere told me she looked forward to being "older" like me because I seemed so secure in my self image.
-
What a fun video (http://gawker.com/5865597/justin-bieber-ruins-entire-nerd-subculture-with-new-christmas-video). Steampunk fans are rolling in their burnished bronze graves.
-
I accidentally referred to someone my mom's age as "old" in a conversation with my mom the other day. That felt pretty bad for everyone.
-
I think some of the Orthodox churches, the CofE, and maybe the Lutherans? Old-school Christianity anyway. Oh, and Satanists, right?
Orthodox, yes. We Lutherans, no. Not sure about CoE.
-
Heretical spoilsports.
-
So what's your favorite Christmas music? It's Vince Guaraldi, isn't? That's pretty much a consensus, right?
-
i have to hear justin beiber Christmas songs 8 hours a day, so i dont enjoy Christmas music right now.
-
I had a really funny moment where this young girl I work with came around handing out candy canes. She sort of froze up when trying to explain herself, clearly because she didn't want to say "Christmas" for fear of offending someone, so I helped her out by saying "oh you're handing these out for Decemberween?" and somehow I guess she decided I had given her the perfectly PC thing to say as I heard her moving from cubicle to cubicle saying "Happy Decemberween!" It was sort of adorable. I'm fairly certain she had no idea what I was referring to. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9X3O3Bg06g) This is the same young lady, who all wide eyed and sincere told me she looked forward to being "older" like me because I seemed so secure in my self image.
Man, if someone actually got offended by a person giving them a delicious goddamn treat because the wish of goodwill wasn't specifically tailored enough then that person should get their holiday privileges revoked.
-
Man, if someone actually got offended by a person giving them a delicious goddamn treat because the wish of goodwill wasn't specifically tailored enough then that person should get their holiday privileges revoked.
They get to trade their delicious treat for a bag of dicks.
-
i have to hear justin beiber Christmas songs 8 hours a day, so i dont enjoy Christmas music right now.
What sort of heinous crime did you commit?
-
What sort of heinous crime did you commit?
I chuckled heartily at that.
-
What sort of heinous crime did you commit?
im poor.
-
Man, if someone actually got offended by a person giving them a delicious goddamn treat because the wish of goodwill wasn't specifically tailored enough then that person should get their holiday privileges revoked.
This reminds me of the semester I had one absolutely batshit insane roommate, and one very emotionally disturbed roommate who happened to be Jehovah's Witness. One night the insane roommate had a birthday party so the other one went into his room I guess because he didn't want to be tempted to celebrate. But later in the evening he poked his head out the door and called over to me to ask for a piece of cake.
-
I'm gonna have to be the devil's advocate here. I think it is totally Legit to be unhappy that someone wishes you Merry Christmas if you do not celebrate that holiday.
fitting, since non-christians are in fact, Devils.
-
I don't think it's legit to be unhappy that someone wishes you a happy Christmas if you don't celebrate that holiday. If somebody said that they hoped you enjoy your weekend, but you have to work Saturday and Sunday, would it make sense to be unhappy at them? Maybe you think that the setting aside of those two days traditionally is arbitrary and pointless.
If somebody was signing your high school freshmen yearbook and put 'Have a bitchin' summer', but you had to do summer school or work on your daddy's potato plantation all summer, would it make sense to hold it against the person who wished you seasonal happiness?
If someone wished you a happy Diwali or Eid, how would you feel? That they were expressing an inclusive statement to you, despite having every indication that you're not 'one of them'? You could choose to feel happy that they are comfortable being themselves around you.
Go with the flow, young man. Don't be unhappy because someone attempted to include you in their own joy.
-
But see, it is not like that.
People say "god bless you" to me or "have a blessed day" sometimes. I am fine with that. That makes me feel happy, because they are saying a nice thing to me. I celebrate the major holidays and if someone who celebrates a minority religion says something to me (although, why would they, I am a white dude) about their religion I can take it in stride. If someone wishes me Eid Mubarak, it is EXTREMELY CLEAR that they aren't just assuming I'm Muslim-- they know I am almost certainly not, but they are being friendly. What we're talking about is a culture where it is assumed that everyone is a Christian, and if you try to be nice and leave some ambiguous wiggle room for other religions you are called an asshole.
What we're talking about is my Jewish roommate who, everywhere he goes for almost 2 months out of every year, has to hear Christmas music, and has people saying Merry Christmas to him, and Christmas decorations everywhere, and if someone tries to be inclusive and says Happy Holidays everyone BLOWS A fuck*ng GASKET.
The store where I work has been blanketed in Christmas decorations since Halloween. Loud, horrible Christmas music. I just don't get it. I love Christmas and celebrate it, and even I do not want to hear that shit all the time.
-
See, I think the people blowing their gasket at happy holidays and people getting pissed at 'merry christmas' is essentially the same thing. In both cases it is a gesture of goodwill and should be taken as such. I get annoyed at the saturation with horrible decorations and carols and stuff too but if someone is actually wishing me well on a personal level then I take that as a real thing that is separate from all the superficial crap that's going on at the same time.
The exception is when people deliberately say Happy Holidays or Merry CHRISTmas as some sort of statement so they can turn a season of fellowship and celebration into part of the ongoing petty political point scoring that our society seems to be immersed in these days. They get a bag of dicks too, as is traditional for my people.
-
A parallel: I find it much easier to be a take-it-easy atheist now that I live where I do. If someone asks me what church I go to (although this has never happened,) I'll just say "I don't go to church."
In Charlotte, NC where I grew up, this was one of the first questions any new person I met asked me. It didn't bother me at first, but it grates on you, you know? All of these people making this assumption about you based on nothing, putting you in the awkward position of explaining yourself. It sucks. It doesn't make them bad people, by any stretch, but it can make a person uncomfortable. Once it happens enough times, it can make you angry.
I guess what I'm saying is: my roommate doesn't go around saying Happy Hanukah to everyone. Because, why would he? None of these people celebrate Hanukah. So, then, built into saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone you meet is the assumption that everyone you meet is Christian.
So. Yes. It doesn't make me mad. But I think it is legitimate for someone to be upset by it.
"Merry Christmas" is not a simple gesture of Goodwill. It is a simple gesture of goodwill with a "Christ is your savior too, you'd better remember that" attached.
Not to go all quasi-Godwin on this, but this is not too far from people saying that the black community is too sensitive about racial issues. It is real easy to say that when you're in a cozy house and no one has ever screamed the N word at you.
-
I deliberately say Happy Holidays to make a point that I don't care what holiday you celebrate. Why does that make me a dick? You're a dick.
-
This might be one of those cultural things, ain't no one assumes you go to church around here and Christmas is a fairly secular sort of thing, so maybe that's why it doesn't strike me as much. But then I'm a white male who came up Catholic so I guess if I'm wrong I wouldn't be bothered anyway?
I say happy Holidays or merry Christmas or happy Agnostica or whatever the hell I feel like saying that day because I'm wishing the person I'm saying it to a good time during a time of year that lots of people are celebrating stuff. I think the wish that people enjoy themselves is the important thing is what I'm trying to get at here. If when you say happy holidays you're more concerned with getting across a point about inclusiveness than just wishing someone well I think you may as well not say anything at all or you may as well be up front and say 'remember there are other cultural holidays this time of year' just like the christian dude emphasising the 'CHRISTmas' should say 'your holiday doesn't count as much as mine because mine is the one true solstice festival'.
I just want to wish people well without it being a Thing is all and I hate people finding something to fight about during a time of year when we're all meant to get together and be happy the winter hasn't killed us yet.
The fact that you say happy holidays to make sure as many people will appreciate it as possible puts you firmly in the not-a-dick camp, but we already knew that.
-
I say Merry Christmas because that is what I am celebrating and I wish to extend my holiday cheer to you.
So anyway, I'm out at a thing tonight, it's our annual reenactment of the bombing of Pearl Harbor dressed as Santa, and one of my friends was saying that she says Merry Christmas when she puts on the Santa suit. It puts her in a Christmas mood. I know she's not a Christian. Her and her boyfriend, he's the dude with the Jesus Christ Monkey Car, have a solstice party every year. They're pagans or whatever.
So later on someone said they were repping for Jesus and somebody else said they were repping for the Jews and I said I was repping for the Atheist... Hail Satan. They told me that if I was an atheist I didn't believe in the devil either. Crap!
-
Oh yeah, and we had a Krampus and somebody celebrating Hogswatch. Holidays for all!
-
I try to avoid anger, especially in response to (almost always innocuous) greetings from random strangers.
-
When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I say "maaaaaaaaan, FUCK you" really loud, right in their face.
My mom, in particular, took exception to this.
-
Merry can-mas Mayor. Or happy Hannucan, whichever you prefer.
-
you forgot Can-za
-
So is this basically all about white guilt? Being brownish, I tend to be on the receiving end of the uncertainly/tension in these circumstances, while even though I'm an atheist (and sometimes aboriginal spiritual) person, I celebrate Christmas as a secular thing and really love it. I really have a lot of trouble thinking there is anything but a small minority of non-Christians who give two shakes about people wishing each other well. I really believe that the majority of people don't want each other to feel like shit, so it's time to sort of walk away from the guilt about this and give out more fuckin' Candy Canes.
-
nope, not really about white guilt. Mostly about having a ton of jewish friends who say that it kind of bums them out when every person says "Merry Christmas" to them.
-
If you get the day off from work on Christmas I think you should be merry about it no matter your religion. I mean, you don't worship George Washington either but it's nice to get his birthday off, right?
-
Honestly, I don't think that parsing out the Merry/Happy split is a gut reaction for anyone.
I think that we let ourselves get played into it by people playing identity politics and... busting it out when they want to divide us if it profits them.
On all sides. This is not one of those things where it is just the religious or the Christian right are absurd about it, though they're certainly the vast majority.
There's people all over the spectrum being herded into this one for the benefit of one identity-politician or another.
-
LFM, you are stupid if you think that. How is it not the case that when someone says "merry Christmas" to my roommate, he notes that he does not celebrate christmas?? Do you think he would forget if it weren't for some grumpy jerks who invented identity politics?
-
No, I mean, I get the idea of some negative reaction.
I'm just...
Hm, it's hard to explain. I'm just saying that people wouldn't be so fuck*ng frothed up about this shit, on all sides, if they weren't getting manipulated into it. They'd be mildly weirded out and then move on quickly.
It's like when someone with a smile says "How are you?" I reserve the right to not being false about it.
I reserve the right to say "Ah, I am not having the best day, really, but I appreciate the exchanged pleasantry. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying things."
-
Hm, it's hard to explain. I'm just saying that people wouldn't be so fuck*ng frothed up about this shit, on all sides, if they weren't getting manipulated into it.
You might find this of interest.
http://atheistoasis.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/an-open-letter-to-christians-merry-christmas-from-an-atheist/ (http://atheistoasis.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/an-open-letter-to-christians-merry-christmas-from-an-atheist/)
-
I like that article.
True story: a guy yelled at my coworker for saying "happy holidays." She was wearing a santa hat, standing under a row of green and red christmas lights. There is big santa statue next to the service desk, and A GIANT CRUCIFIX over the service desk.
-
Christmas won't be merry unless I get to see a photo of Ash riding his hoss in a parade.
-
Christmas won't be merry unless I get to see a photo of Ash riding his trampling grinches, pedants, and scrooges under his hoss in a parade.
FTFY
-
I took a holiday photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6485288597/in/photostream) for my pagan atheist friends today. We listened to the South Park Christmas album while we were snapping. Afterwards we watched youtube clips of Rick Perry being a douchebag. They both wished me merry Christmas.
Then I delivered a sexy Santa dress to a Jewish friend of mine to wear in the Deck the Hall's parade tomorrow. She wished me a merry Christmas.
I was talking on the phone yesterday to another Jewish friend of mine. He's actually building a 12' foot menorah (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6438139705/in/photostream) that is going to be on display at the Galleria. We're gonna get a group together and see it when it's unveiled. He didn't wish me merry Christmas, but that's pretty cool. The 12' menorah I mean.
-
Shouldn't there be one more point on his star?
-
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z120/Asherdan93/P_PAntlersarena.jpg)
"look, Ma! no hands!"
-
This (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/neil-gaiman-hanukkah-with-bells-on-1203307.html) made me smile. Merry culturally ambiguous tree day, everyone.
-
im definitely having a Patrick Swayze Christmas this year.
-
This (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/neil-gaiman-hanukkah-with-bells-on-1203307.html) made me smile. Merry culturally ambiguous tree day, everyone.
See, that's what we should do. We should just move Arbor Day to Dec. 25 and celebrate the trees with gifts wrapped in paper made from their ground innards.
And then we can scrap Santa Claus and start telling kids about The Lorax.
-
See, that's what we should do. We should just move Arbor Day to Dec. 25 and celebrate the trees with gifts wrapped in paper made from their ground innards.
And then we can scrap Santa Claus and start telling kids about The Lorax.
I was just stymied in my attempt to find the 'like' button. Aren't the wonks always saying that Jesus was likely born in the spring anyway?
-
It's time for your annual helping of Christmas Shoes (http://youtu.be/iq10bz3PxyY).
-
It's OK, Wish Me A Merry Christmas™ (http://www.wmamc.com/index.html)
-
Today I got my first HOLIDAY present of the season. I would be ripping it open, because knowing this aunt it is a cool houseware or kitchen item, but my little cousins demanded that I NOT OPEN BEFORE THE 25TH, FOR SOME REASON. She said she thought it would come next week sometime...
I am having a major little-kid problem where I want to open it THIS INSTANT.
I guess the magic of the internet is that I could open it right now, and send them an email with a picture of me opening it next week. But isn't that cheating?
Although, really, what is this season about if not duping children?
-
My former boss... would put a Chanukah card on my desk every year.
This is all because I let it slip that I didn't mind having the pager one time on Christmas, since we didn't really celebrate it much.
-
'Tis the season for binary generalizations!
-
Christmas Pornaments (http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/12/pornaments-nsfw/) (if you have to ask if it's NSFW, then maybe you shouldn't use the internet).
-
Christmas Pornaments (http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/12/pornaments-nsfw/) (if you have to ask if it's NSFW, then maybe you shouldn't use the internet).
Good Lord!
-
Merry Crimbo, Fuckos.
By way of a callback, when I'm at work and somebody says "have a good weekend", it does indeed make me unhappy. By the way, this will be the seventh consecutive year I will be at work for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. So all those extra days off my wife will be enjoying again will not be enjoyed with me. This is to say nothing of the fact that I will be traveling on my mother's birthday.
Hope I didn't wreck your holidays, kids! Have fun out there!
-
Tonight, after our Christmas thingy, when we were driving Grandma back from my MIL's farm to the care home, she got pretty shaken up when we turned right (toward the care home) instead of left (toward the town she lived in for 80+ years). Then it became clear that we were basically strangers (to her in that moment) who were driving her to a town and place she didn't know. Can you imagine how scary that would be? So there was about a half hour of that, until we got to the home and brought her up to her room, and as I was hanging up her new Christmas sweaters she was looking in her closet at her clothes and fretting that the clothes belonged to someone else, and that I'd put her in some stranger's room. Then she opened the other side of her closet and thankfully there was a jewelry box in there that hubby and I had given her which had our photos (plus a bunch of other family photos), and then I helped her figure out who we are. Then there was this moment of clarity for her where she said we should drive home before it got too late. Then she slipped back into the dementia and was confused about why her stuff was in this closet in this strange room. I explained, gently, and for probably the tenth time that she would be sleeping here, and here were her pj's, and she should get comfy in them and get some rest. She thought that was a good idea, so we said our goodbyes and she said she wished we lived closer, which was sad but reassured me that she at least knew who I was because she always said that back before the strokes, and I replied the way I always used to that I wished we lived closer too.
So yeah, that and the first highway trip with hubby since he nearly died on the road, and I'm glad to say the roughest part of the holiday season is behind us.
Bonus awfulness: my hubby was in a graduating class of 12, with six boys, and a few years ago four of his male classmates were driving back to the city after Christmas carpool style and got struck by a drunk driver, two died. As we drove by the highway memorial of where they died we had a talk about how glad we both were that hubby didn't end up that way, and how I was glad I didn't have to put up fake flowers and pick up litter in a ditch somewhere. We talked a bit about his accident site and how different the highway we were on is to the road he crashed on. Hubby did pretty well as a passenger. I talked through some techniques for dealing with anxiety before we went, which helped a bit, and really passing the memorial gave him a good opportunity to talk it out too.
Anyway, intense times today, and if that weren't enough to wind me up, I drank a bunch of coke so I'd be extra alert for the 1 1/2hr drive home in the pitch black tonight. So no sleep for me tonight. I just offered to go fuck some of this energy out of me though, so it's time to stop typing this on my iPhone and go get busy!
-
Oh, man, I just realized re-reading my last post that when I thought grandma was having a moment of clarity telling hubby and I that we should drive home because it was so late, that she probably meant all of us, including herself, should be going... Shit.
Hubby was so exhausted that by the time I got to him he was down for the count, so no outlet for excess energy has been found.
-
Intense times Smells. You handled it with your usual aplomb though.
I just went to a party and had some girls dancing on my car. I've also got a glittery face. My folks Sunday school class is gonna love me when I deliver a framed copy of this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6513923129/in/photostream) photo in a few hours.
-
I love you, Smells. Have a good holiday.
-
Wait, is this the thread where we complain about Christmas, or is it also the thread where we wish each other Merry?
Regardless, for me, all the hard work is done and it's now time to bask in a world of plenty and feast and drink and celebrate that, after all, the sun does come back. 2011 has been one of the hardest years, but I'm proud of how I made it through. I'm proud of the strength of all the people I love and how they made it through too. I'm asking for deep inner peace in 2012. That's my wish for one and all. Merry everything to all. La la la!
-
I meant for it to be a thread about wishing everyone happy Christmas or whatever, but I got it started off on the wrong foot with the title of the thread. It never really recovered from that.
Regardless. Happy Christmas to all of you beautiful people. I love you all.
-
...celebrate that, after all, the sun does come back.
A-men! I miss the sun.
I've been a little low lately and not really in any sort of holiday spirit. But finally yesterday and today I've gotten there a little bit. Ended up doing halfway OK on getting gifts taken care of too.
Love and happiness to you all! A new year is beginning and the sun is coming back. Merry Christmas!
-
I made eggnog for the first time yesterday for my friend's christmas lunch and it was delicious and awesome.
Here's to you lovely people and being halfway through the dark (or the light, depending on your hemisphere).
-
Fuck xmas, but I am going to eat like a fuckin' king tomorrow.
-
I don't care if you seen this before, you can't watch it too many times.
Hallelujah Chorus -Quinhagak, Alaska (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A&feature=player_embedded)
(Anyone who complains about the misplaced apostrophe will be de-canned with extreme prejudice.)
-
I don't care if you seen this before, you can't watch it too many times.
Hallelujah Chorus -Quinhagak, Alaska (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A&feature=player_embedded)
335 people are joyless grammar Nazis or just misanthropic dicks.
Happy whatever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdShWevWoU)!
-
Christmas Eve we watched a slide show of my mom's family in the 60s and 70s. Little immigrant children have grown up to be a big, great, successful family. Really charming, also I look incredibly like my grandfather. And he got to marry my super-hot Grandma, so I guess things will work out for me. It is really Nuts seeing pictures of my grandma with 2 kids when she was only a little older than me.
Also, several slides of my mom with creepy smoking 70s boyfriend hugging her. Felt extremely uncomfortable, kind of wanted to beat him up.
Now: reflecting on the fact that I might be the jerk who wants to return almost every present. My family still thinks I wear an XL, somehow.
Merry Christmas, TOUAMBs.
-
We're having king crab and New York steaks.
-
I managed to get in the Christmas spirit yesterday, with the help of my good buddy Johnny Walker.
If I drink scotch two Christmases in a row, that makes it a tradition, right?
-
I was with my mother's family for Christmas.
They're teetotalers.
Made me miss my in-laws, a little bit.
-
I was with my mother's family for Christmas.
They're teetotalers.
Made me miss my in-laws, a little bit.
I went from one party where old women were hammering scotch like frat boys to another "party" where a dude had a martini and everyone joked about how he had a smile on his face.
-
They're teetotalers.
My parents and sisters don't drink at all. Luckily I get along with them really well.
I feel your pain though.
-
I don't drink at all. Does that mean you don't want to party with me?
-
No, I'm just saying it would suck to spend Christmas with my family if I didn't like them and they didn't have booze in the house. At least half of my good friends don't drink.
-
My parents and brother are fine. They don't drink, but I like them.
The extended family is a drama hurricane, and although I am not much of a drinker myself, being around them for five straight hours would be more bearable if I could pound a couple of jack and cokes while I was there.
I muddled through by roping the tolerable few into a board game, so it was all good.
-
There was once a Christmas with my in-laws where my MIL assigned me the duty of assuring a drink was in her hands at all times. I was actually pretty fun.
-
Welcome to presbyterian english family celebration where we raise the roof like its 1922 and we pretend to tolerate each other for a few hours. MERRY CHRISTMAS.
-
not drinking is fine, i wouldn't begrudge it of anybody. so long as they don't begrudge my drinking.
it's like, you're free to swing your arms wantonly, but your right to do so ends at my face.
-
it's like, you're free to swing your arms wantonly, but your right to do so ends at my face.
that applies to everything in life. perfect. you have the rights to a tcodp.
-
Half my family drinks too much and half doesn't drink at all. I fuck it all up by spending half my time in each camp.
-
nobody in my extended family drinks more than like a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe they secretly all get drunk on wine when I am not around.
None of them wanted spiked eggnog OR spiked apple cider. Even my brother (who is 20) does not drink at all. What gives? I drink so much.
-
I have hell of alcoholics on both sides of my family. I drank my share, but I quit four years ago. Don't miss it much at all.
-
Half my family drinks too much and half doesn't drink at all. I fuck it all up by spending half my time in each camp.
Good. Keep 'em guessing.
-
I have hell of alcoholics on both sides of my family. I drank my share, but I quit four years ago. Don't miss it much at all.
Four years ago I couldn't imagine going a full week without a drink, but recently I sometimes think that this will eventually be my fate. But the beer! Oh, the beer! How do you not miss the beer?
-
Man I seriously did not drink for like 2 years unless I got cocaine beforehand and knew I would drink that day. I would usually just have like 3-4 to take the edge off the blow. Anyways, in the last 3-4 months I have been drinking again. I have only gotten drunk once, and it was prearranged, we had adderal and with an old friend. Anyways, the point is beer is fuck*ng awesome and I wish it didn't get you drunk. Why do they have to make it so damn tasty? I don't know if I can not drink again.
My problem with booze is a bit different than most peoples. I hate being drunk but love being drunk and on uppers, so everytime I would get drunk I would try to get cocaine and if I couldn't find it I would just use my stash of adderal. That is why I had to stop drinking and take it down to like 3-4 times a year when I get an eight ball before hand then go all out. Also, I am high on herb literally constantly, so I don't know if that makes it easier to not drink? Probably
-
Yeah I would propose that being constantly intoxicated on pot diminishes desire for alcohol.
-
if it weren't very expensive and I couldn't get drug tested, I would totally prefer being high to being drunk. But, you know. That isn't the case.
-
If it weren't very expensive and I didn't get drug tested at work and my wife wouldn't drop me like a hot brick, I'd go back to being fucked up on everything I could find all the time. I could afford much better drugs and larger quantities nowadays.
-
I swear to God I'mma get on the secret santa thing soon.
The move back upstate has... not gone well.
Might be turning around and starting to go well but... disaster. Days long fights. Remodeling a room to live in, my mom went into analphylatic shock from the mold and was in the hospital.
I dunno where the hell my head is at but I'll get to it.
-
I swear to God I'mma get on the secret santa thing soon.
The move back upstate has... not gone well.
Might be turning around and starting to go well but... disaster. Days long fights. Remodeling a room to live in, my mom went into analphylatic shock from the mold and was in the hospital.
I dunno where the hell my head is at but I'll get to it.
Wherever the hell your head is, keep it down for god's sake. Seriously, take it as easy as it is possible to take it (and sorry about the bitching about the check. I hadn't read this yet).
-
Holy shit, LFM. Hang in there.
-
For reals.
Meanwhile, next time you're having writers block just start writing down the shit that happens in your everyday life. It would be compelling.