The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on February 12, 2012, 02:44:45 am

Title: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 12, 2012, 02:44:45 am
What a shame. (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57376028/singer-whitney-houston-dies-at-48/)  I wasn't a huge fan, but I can't deny that she was a true talent.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: jaydub on February 12, 2012, 06:10:36 am
If you couldn't see this one coming...

Still, I was surprised (mightily) that she outlasted Michael Jackson.  God knows what her life has been like since she last surfaced in the public eye.  I'm thinking the one thing more powerful than stupidity is the penchant for self destruction.  (Not mutually exclusive).  She didn't seem like a stupid person to me, but that was a vicious downward spiral she was in.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: wombat on February 12, 2012, 02:23:49 pm
Quote
@LieBot The saddest thing is that Newt Gingrich is still alive and Whitney Houston is dead.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 13, 2012, 03:48:57 pm
For some reason I thought Whitney Houston had turned her shit around. Then again, I knew Michael was fucked up but I didn't realize he was on hoss tranquilizers.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2012, 02:12:05 am
They Might Be Giants have retired their song Marty Beller Mask from live performances. Lyrics (http://tmbw.net/wiki/Lyrics:Marty_Beller_Mask)
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2012, 06:14:09 am
Inevitable (http://www.regretsy.com/2012/02/13/healing-through-tragicrafting-whitney-houston-edition/)
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: AugustWest on February 14, 2012, 03:42:25 pm
Know what's 6 inches long and won't be getting sucked this Valentine's Day?

Whitney Houston's crackpipe.

Too soon?
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 14, 2012, 03:54:40 pm
It's never too soon for a tiny, refreshing can of Dr Pepper.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 15, 2012, 04:10:05 am
Know what's 6 inches long and won't be getting sucked this Valentine's Day?

Whitney Houston's crackpipe.

Too soon?

Surprisingly rough chuckles there. Remember, as Whitney said, crack is wack.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 03:48:38 pm
It's not too soon.  Is it wrong that I automatically thought "most crack pipes aren't that big?"  I've never smoked crack BTW, but I've worked in support of enough people who do smoke it and have harm reduction training in safer crack use, meaning I've handled crack pipes and taught people how to use them more safely. 
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 15, 2012, 07:36:10 pm
I think we can all agree it doesn't matter how big your crack pipe is, it is how you use it.

Right?
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: AugustWest on February 15, 2012, 07:40:31 pm
I think we can all agree it doesn't matter how big your crack pipe is, it is how you use it.

Right?

It DOES matter how big your can of Dr. Pepper is.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 07:45:57 pm
Actually, the bigger it is the better I guess.  For safty sake the longer the pipe, the more the smoke will cool off and the less likely people are to burn their lips, mouth and lungs.  So no, in this case size does matter.  

That being said, most of the crack pipes I've seen are maybe three inches.  

Scary thing that people do:  instead of using pipe screens some folks use brillo pads or steel wool, which can't handle high heat and could have hella chemicals on them.  Even in the case of steel wool untreated with chemicals, heating it causes little bits to break off when smoked, and needless to say little bits of steel wool in the lungs can lead to serious health problems like lung infections, pnumonia and worse.  What I'm saying is if your gonna smoke crack, practice as much harm reduction as possible.  Also, don't do it alone in a bathroom not saying this is how Whitney died, but be safe.  Same goes for bennies really - don't take them and then be alone in enough water to drown you.  
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 15, 2012, 07:52:05 pm
Yeah, I have a crack pipe I use for liquid hash and research chemicals, I understand. 

I use that shit right.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 07:54:28 pm
Steel-wool free lungs.  It's a good thing!
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 15, 2012, 08:11:35 pm
Indeed.

Here there were things called rose in a bottle or something, and it was a small crack pipe sold at gas stations.  Then, they came out with candy in a bottle that was the same thing with like 1 m&m in it so it could be purchased with food stamps.  Did you have that problem?
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 09:28:13 pm
You bet - at many a convienience store. 
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 03:10:47 am
The last time I really got sideways with a crack pipe, the guy who was fixing tried to tear off a piece of steel wool. In case you don't know, steel wool doesn't really tear. It sliced the shit out of his hand, though.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 16, 2012, 07:18:23 am
There are times when, if you are in tune with yourself, clear messages about if a product meant to be used in application to the human body are pretty clear.  If it is so bad in contact with your skin it is basically telling you not to use it.  I have pulled apart steel wool, and the burning itch it leaves on my fingers is message enough.  Then again, I've known some crack addicts who are so smart, yet due to poor impulse control do things that are so bad for themselves and those around them.  Crack seems the worst for that in my experience.  It's such a short high that it gobbles up the financial resources damn quick if you want to stay high on it.  I know a lady who is probably smarter than me who has lost everything - material possession and interpersonal relationships - due to that pattern.  It's all gone, genuinely up in smoke, and she's got the self awareness to know it, which in my opinion, is far worse than being a dummy and not knowing you've fucked yourself. 

Addiction vs use are very interesting to me.  Gabor Mate's book "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" talks about this.  I do agree with the majority of what he says, which is pretty revolutionary stuff about addiction.  I believe the hard wiring for addiction has a direct relationship to health attachment in early childhood.  All the brain science is laid out in the book, and I've seen the reality of it played out in enough people.  Some people can just use drugs, while those of us who have addictive natures are of a different cloth. 
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2012, 03:21:23 pm
Since we're on the topic of recreational drugs, I was thinking recently that I'm kind of curious about Ecstasy. I'm not really that interested in coke (I am high strung enough) or LSD (my brain is already altered), and I have smoked enough pot to know what that's like. But E seems like something that's completely unique and would be fun to try once or twice.

I read a blurb about an article on E recently and why everybody should try it at least once, and I can't find the piece now. But it got me thinking. I'm sure someone here has done it. What's it like?
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2012, 04:26:20 pm
I too am curious to try E.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2012, 04:31:08 pm
The E episode of Spaced is fun. I know friends who say never to have sex while using it because by comparison regular sex is like wearing a carpet suit. But then I've never tried anything harder than caffeine and alcohol.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 04:36:39 pm
I'm on that list, too. I'd like to try it with the missus. Not really interested in any more acid, though.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2012, 04:44:20 pm
Nabu, I'm kind of surprised you've never tried it. What with all your other adventures, and all.

Keith?
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 04:47:58 pm
Yeah, me too - I think it became popular a touch too late for me.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2012, 04:59:51 pm
Did this thread start out about a celebrity that died who had been messed up because of drugs and is now about which drugs we should try?

Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 05:00:46 pm
You have to admit, that's less wandering than usual.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 16, 2012, 06:07:03 pm
Side note:  JL, many high-strung people, especially those with diagnosed ADD or ADHD are not wound up by coke.  Very much the opposite - they are "normalized" and relaxed on crack or coke.  There is a studied correlation between crack use and addiction in people with ADD because of this.  It's about the way these drugs interact with the differing chemicals in the ADD brain vs a non ADD brain.

I have no interest in ecstasy.  Having been in a situation where I was around a bunch of people who were on E while I was having a bad trip on hallucinogens has cemented some very negative connotations in my mind about the stuff.  I was crying and thinking I had lost my mind and my friend's response in an attempt to comfort me was to want to grope me and lick my tears off because I was apparently "beautiful" when I cry.  Fuck.  Never again.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 16, 2012, 09:33:53 pm
tom arnold said he has ADHD and in his coke days, it just made him intense and zoned-in.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 16, 2012, 10:20:15 pm
I felt like coke/amphetamines helped me concentrate/zone in or whatever too.

I don't feel like small doses of LSD and bigger doses of E are all that different.  I guess the difference is on E you feel fuck*ng incredible and on any LSD it is kind of like your body isn't there.  I find E really fuck*ng fun, but you are still tripping.  It is a little baby trip, but depending on your past experiences it could get to you.  I came to psychedelics through massive mushroom use, and mushrooms are the harshest of all that I have done, so LSD and E were both super fun, your mileage may vary? 

I said it here like a week ago, but I would consider both small doses of LSD and almost any amount of E to be therapy that basically increases your enjoyment of the world for 3-6 months.  I would recommend doing it, but there is a very minor risk.  It doesn't last near as long as LSD either.  With LSD I can't sleep for like 18 hours if I take more than 1 hit, with E I can sleep in like 6-8 hours.

Oh, so also, with LSD and Mushrooms if you take them angry or with stuff over your head or something it might get to you.  With E it always makes you extremely happy, so then the trip part is a breeze because you are so happy and feel so good.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 16, 2012, 11:57:48 pm
I've never had a bad experience with marijuana in my life. Never gotten paranoid, never gotten antsy, just had a good-ass time.

It seems to be a genetic trait from my dad's side of the family.

I'd like to try peyote some day, I guess, but I know my head is in a bad place for pushing those kinds of boundaries right now.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: jay-ell on February 17, 2012, 01:44:33 am
If I tried E, it would be a thing where we had the kids staying overnight at Grandma's and Pedro and I would stay in and he would play druggie babysitter to make sure I didn't have a bad reaction. But the odds of him agreeing to letting me try it are pretty slim. He's kind of a prude about drugs. He's why I haven't smoked weed since I was seventeen. If it were legal, he'd be cool with it -- and he supports legalization -- but as long as it remains contraband he will never try it and he will never approve of me toking either.

But if any of you other party people give it a shot, let me know.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2012, 04:16:25 am
I would totally try E or some sort of hallucinogen. My friends here smoke lots of pot, but I never smoke enough to really feel it. Especially when smoking a joint, I have such an intense coughing reaction that I can't inhale properly. Baking it into food is a popular thing.

I guess I have taken a lot of stimulants as ADD treatment. I kind of miss it, but I don't feel like going through the hassle of finding a doctor to prescribe something, trying various dosages, etc. I stopped taking those pills in college when I started having issues with my dosage (old dose didn't have any effect, next highest dose made me freak out.)

I think sometimes about how, maybe, if I were taking ADD medicine, I would have my shit together enough to get prescribed some ADD medicine.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2012, 06:01:50 am
That coke thing kind of sounds like what is said about ritalin.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 06:30:24 am
When I was in High School I had a friend who was on a drug for his hyperactivity.  He told me that the drug was actually a stimulant, but it had the opposite effect on him, that it calmed him down.  The drug was called Mysoline? I just looked that up and it says it is for seizures, so I just don't know.

He once gave me one and it calmed me down too, way down.  It knocked my dick in the dirt is what it did.  I didn't get out of bed for two days.  I wasn't sick, I just couldn't stay awake.  This was, like an elephant tranquilizer or something.

Dude took this twice a day and he was still a spazz.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2012, 06:35:03 am
yeah, my body is apparently really sensitive to that stuff. The doses most ADD people are on made me completely flip my lid.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: jay-ell on February 17, 2012, 06:46:51 am
Pedro has sort of an opposite problem. He is resistant to pain medication. When he goes to the dentist, he always has to have a double shot of Novocaine, and when he had his wisdom teeth out the anesthesiologist said it took a lot of gas to put him out. He comes out of it quick, too.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: miles on February 17, 2012, 07:00:46 am
Addiction vs use are very interesting to me.  Gabor Mate's book "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" talks about this.  I do agree with the majority of what he says, which is pretty revolutionary stuff about addiction.

Gabor Mate was in this documentary I recently saw called The House I Live In. Thanks for the tip on that book, his stuff was interesting.

The movie was amazing. It's about the war on drugs. I'm sure it'll get a relatively wide release this year and I recommend it.

Keith, LSD was way harsher to me than mushrooms. I'd like to try both again, but I haven't seen any acid in years. I would have no idea where to find it. Wasn't there some huge bust a while back and it basically disappeared for a while? My one experience with ecstasy was terrible, but probably because I drank too much. I did coke once and it was amazing, but the come down was terrible. The high was nothing like ritalin.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2012, 07:30:45 am
FWIW, my point about the coke thing wasn't that the high was the same, just that its effect can be different for ADD/ADHD folks is sort of the opposite as for non- folks.

For me, mushrooms were always pretty lame, but I followed Ozzy's example for LSD.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 17, 2012, 09:16:17 am
Man the sky ripped itself open with mushrooms.

With LSD I just feel like I am in a movie or something. 
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 17, 2012, 12:03:04 pm
Also, yes, LSD was plentiful and cheap and everywhere when I was 15 (2001 ish), then two big chemists got busted and it was impossible to get until I moved to Boulder.  It is definitely possible it isn't really LSD or it is weaker than in the past.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2012, 12:57:46 pm
LSD was everywhere when I was in high school and it was cheap as hell. Mushrooms were hard to find and lots of times they were pretty crappy. Of course, we've already talked elsewhere how hard it is to get good produce in Alaska.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 03:19:40 pm
Man the sky ripped itself open with mushrooms.

With LSD I just feel like I am in a movie or something. 

That was pretty much my experience.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Doc on February 19, 2012, 12:21:15 pm
Of course, we've already talked elsewhere how hard it is to get good produce in Alaska.
Zing!

Drug facts: Ritalin is methylphenidate which is, you guessed it, an amphetamine so closer to ecstasy than coke. Contrary to what you might expect it works for ADD because it stimulates the inhibitory centres of the brain, biology is fun like that.

I've never been keen to try ecstasy, cocaine seems like a terrible idea and I'll have weed if it's around but I don't love it or anything. LSD though is something I would take again but it does seem a bit of a hassle to get.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 19, 2012, 03:54:10 pm
Cocaine is a fuck*ng amazing idea! More cocaine is an even better idea!
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 20, 2012, 03:53:12 am
I swear to jeebus I just heard 1984 kiss me in the ear!

Now it is 1984 . . . knock knock at your front door . . . (http://youtu.be/5iNh6BVZgJ0).
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 20, 2012, 07:19:51 am
I know you have heard that song as many times as I have.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 20, 2012, 04:45:05 pm
Me, I do the only thing that stops me growing old. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUsQj_ha0zU)  (Not really though.)
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2012, 04:34:53 am
A later version (http://youtu.be/df9uxaqpEGQ). I had no idea this existed. He really reminds me of Eddie Izzard in that second one.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2012, 01:35:21 pm
Me, I do the only thing that stops me growing old. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUsQj_ha0zU)  (Not really though.)

A later version (http://youtu.be/df9uxaqpEGQ). I had no idea this existed. He really reminds me of Eddie Izzard in that second one.

My goodness, I don't think I've heard that in 25 years.  Tim Curry is a fuck*ng treasure.
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: side_show on February 21, 2012, 05:34:23 pm
I know!  I read somewhere that he sort of pulled back on being a total weirdo out of fear of being typecast.  It's a shame, because if he's holding back on this, I can't imagine the wonderfulness of what would've come out of him if he just lets loose. 

I often get this cheerful tune stuck in my head if someone work-related makes reference to "doing rock."  It sort of offsets the bleakness of some of the stuff I encounter. 
Title: Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
Post by: jaydub on February 21, 2012, 06:11:47 pm
If you call his recent turn on Criminal Minds not being a total weirdo, then we have different standards for the phrase.  Yikes.  The man is talented.