Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitney Houston dead at 48  (Read 7643 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:48 pm »

I've never had a bad experience with marijuana in my life. Never gotten paranoid, never gotten antsy, just had a good-ass time.

It seems to be a genetic trait from my dad's side of the family.

I'd like to try peyote some day, I guess, but I know my head is in a bad place for pushing those kinds of boundaries right now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:33 am »

If I tried E, it would be a thing where we had the kids staying overnight at Grandma's and Pedro and I would stay in and he would play druggie babysitter to make sure I didn't have a bad reaction. But the odds of him agreeing to letting me try it are pretty slim. He's kind of a prude about drugs. He's why I haven't smoked weed since I was seventeen. If it were legal, he'd be cool with it -- and he supports legalization -- but as long as it remains contraband he will never try it and he will never approve of me toking either.

But if any of you other party people give it a shot, let me know.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:25 am »

I would totally try E or some sort of hallucinogen. My friends here smoke lots of pot, but I never smoke enough to really feel it. Especially when smoking a joint, I have such an intense coughing reaction that I can't inhale properly. Baking it into food is a popular thing.

I guess I have taken a lot of stimulants as ADD treatment. I kind of miss it, but I don't feel like going through the hassle of finding a doctor to prescribe something, trying various dosages, etc. I stopped taking those pills in college when I started having issues with my dosage (old dose didn't have any effect, next highest dose made me freak out.)

I think sometimes about how, maybe, if I were taking ADD medicine, I would have my shit together enough to get prescribed some ADD medicine.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 06:01:50 am »

That coke thing kind of sounds like what is said about ritalin.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 06:30:24 am »

When I was in High School I had a friend who was on a drug for his hyperactivity.  He told me that the drug was actually a stimulant, but it had the opposite effect on him, that it calmed him down.  The drug was called Mysoline? I just looked that up and it says it is for seizures, so I just don't know.

He once gave me one and it calmed me down too, way down.  It knocked my dick in the dirt is what it did.  I didn't get out of bed for two days.  I wasn't sick, I just couldn't stay awake.  This was, like an elephant tranquilizer or something.

Dude took this twice a day and he was still a spazz.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:03 am »

yeah, my body is apparently really sensitive to that stuff. The doses most ADD people are on made me completely flip my lid.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 06:46:51 am »

Pedro has sort of an opposite problem. He is resistant to pain medication. When he goes to the dentist, he always has to have a double shot of Novocaine, and when he had his wisdom teeth out the anesthesiologist said it took a lot of gas to put him out. He comes out of it quick, too.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:46 am »

Addiction vs use are very interesting to me.  Gabor Mate's book "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" talks about this.  I do agree with the majority of what he says, which is pretty revolutionary stuff about addiction.

Gabor Mate was in this documentary I recently saw called The House I Live In. Thanks for the tip on that book, his stuff was interesting.

The movie was amazing. It's about the war on drugs. I'm sure it'll get a relatively wide release this year and I recommend it.

Keith, LSD was way harsher to me than mushrooms. I'd like to try both again, but I haven't seen any acid in years. I would have no idea where to find it. Wasn't there some huge bust a while back and it basically disappeared for a while? My one experience with ecstasy was terrible, but probably because I drank too much. I did coke once and it was amazing, but the come down was terrible. The high was nothing like ritalin.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 07:30:45 am »

FWIW, my point about the coke thing wasn't that the high was the same, just that its effect can be different for ADD/ADHD folks is sort of the opposite as for non- folks.

For me, mushrooms were always pretty lame, but I followed Ozzy's example for LSD.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 09:16:17 am »

Man the sky ripped itself open with mushrooms.

With LSD I just feel like I am in a movie or something. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:04 pm »

Also, yes, LSD was plentiful and cheap and everywhere when I was 15 (2001 ish), then two big chemists got busted and it was impossible to get until I moved to Boulder.  It is definitely possible it isn't really LSD or it is weaker than in the past.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »

LSD was everywhere when I was in high school and it was cheap as hell. Mushrooms were hard to find and lots of times they were pretty crappy. Of course, we've already talked elsewhere how hard it is to get good produce in Alaska.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 03:19:40 pm »

Man the sky ripped itself open with mushrooms.

With LSD I just feel like I am in a movie or something. 

That was pretty much my experience.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 12:21:15 pm »

Of course, we've already talked elsewhere how hard it is to get good produce in Alaska.
Zing!

Drug facts: Ritalin is methylphenidate which is, you guessed it, an amphetamine so closer to ecstasy than coke. Contrary to what you might expect it works for ADD because it stimulates the inhibitory centres of the brain, biology is fun like that.

I've never been keen to try ecstasy, cocaine seems like a terrible idea and I'll have weed if it's around but I don't love it or anything. LSD though is something I would take again but it does seem a bit of a hassle to get.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:29:21 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Whitney Houston dead at 48
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 03:54:10 pm »

Cocaine is a fuck*ng amazing idea! More cocaine is an even better idea!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up