The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on February 16, 2012, 08:28:40 pm
-
http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-hog-and-halo/Content?oid=5619848 (http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-hog-and-halo/Content?oid=5619848)
Should we be titling the thread with a pithy quote from it?
-
As much as the menu sounds like a heavily seasoned food allergy reaction in progress to me, I feel like I can imagine what the food tasted like based on his descriptions. He is really good at this. Let's hope he keeps it up.
I think we should have threads for each column just like the comics. There's plenty to discuss here, thinks I. However, the correct thread title is "I hung up like in the movies."
Though I suppose "an explosive mouthful of angry poultry feces" is a close second, if you can get past the ick factor.
-
I think the food descriptions are a bit overwrought, personally. But I like the funny bits and since I'm never going to get to go to any of the places he reviews, that's what really matters.
-
I thought it was a well done review. Struck the right balance between professional and funny.
And now I want to try Filipino food.
-
My best friend is half Filipino and as she says "if it's Filipino, everything has pork in it." There's even a desert I've eaten that has pork in it. I just remember reaching for a cake-like thing, with sugar dusting and she said "there's pork in that" and I'm like "you're kidding it looks like a dessert, and one of your aunts said it was..." "It is, and there's pork in it." I don't like pork by nature, so I'm not a huge fan of the cuisine, although some of the home cooked stuff I've had isn't too bad.
Also I object to a food reviewer referring to feces. That is not cool unless it's actual feces and you are cautioning someone to avoid a place.
Thirdly what is this infant he mentions at the beginning? Has he had another kid or is one of his co-diners bringing along an infant? I believe his daughter is far too old at this point to be correctly called an infant, right?
-
His daughter is a little bit younger than Danger Boy. So, about six and a half. But I think I saw it hinted somewhere that they might possibly be expecting another one a little while after Chaos Girl was born, and she's barely four, so it's possible he has a baby/toddler (under three). Or his dining partner may have been the one with the kid.
-
I think the feces line is so funny, he can have it.
But you know what I do object to? JL's new sig, because it seems to me that quote should properly be attributed to Lord Peter Wimsey. It is jarring to me to attribute it to the author, who I can't imagine as the sort of person who would say such a thing.
-
But you know what I do object to? JL's new sig, because it seems to me that quote should properly be attributed to Lord Peter Wimsey. It is jarring to me to attribute it to the author, who I can't imagine as the sort of person who would say such a thing.
You're correct, of course, but I am never quite sure whether to attribute a line spoken by a fictional character to the character or the author. I was so unsure of it, I Googled it, and some of the sites had it attributed to Wimsey, but most had it attributed to Sayers. So I caved to popular opinion.
If it bothers you that much, I will change it. I am, after all, only one of your fictional characters, when all is said and done.
-
You're correct, of course, but I am never quite sure whether to attribute a line spoken by a fictional character to the character or the author.
Maybe it depends on the character.
-
Speaking of feces and food, I am reading a novel set in Thailand which describes a lot of food and refers more than once to "penis-shit peppers."
-
Speaking of feces and food, I am reading a novel set in Thailand which describes a lot of food and refers more than once to "c*ck-shit peppers."
Wait, what kind of penis is that? Penis, penis, or c*ck?
-
There is a food truck here that does "Filipino-inspired" food. It is really good. Some kind of pork with spicy sauce and a "one hour egg" (seems like a soft boiled egg) on top is really good.
-
Always cool to read a new perspective on food one eats regularly, especially when it's written by Onstad. Shame about the squid adobo though; it's a favorite of mine, but either nobody can figure out how grandma makes it or they've got the wrong sort of squid here.
Filipino cuisine is definitely big on pig, mostly because it would take actual effort and forethought to starve a pig in rural Philippines.
-
I used to live about ten blocks from that restaurant.
Nice review. I feel like I'm about to get suckered in to looking for his reviews and then he'll sort of trail off and I'll be burned again.
-
Wait, what kind of penis is that? Penis, c*ck, or c*ck?
Stupid filter. The rodent kind!
-
I used to live about ten blocks from that restaurant.
Nice review. I feel like I'm about to get suckered in to looking for his reviews and then he'll sort of trail off and I'll be burned again.
I think it's your duty, as a member of the Mercury's target audience, to go to these restaurants and verify Onstad's review.
-
I will do so.
I'll just mention here that it occurred to me this morning that I consider Onstad the Mr. Kotter to our Sweathogs.
I'm Freddie Boom-Boom Washington.
-
I don't remember that show well enough to know which sweathog I am.
Edit: Maybe I'm the fat chick that wants to fuck Barbarino.
-
im the loud, obnoxious, fat nerdy dude from "head of the class".
-
im the loud, obnoxious, fat nerdy dude from "head of the class".
You're doing it wrong.