Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]  (Read 3589 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-hog-and-halo/Content?oid=5619848

Should we be titling the thread with a pithy quote from it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:39:19 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new gig
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »

As much as the menu sounds like a heavily seasoned food allergy reaction in progress to me, I feel like I can imagine what the food tasted like based on his descriptions. He is really good at this. Let's hope he keeps it up.

I think we should have threads for each column just like the comics. There's plenty to discuss here, thinks I. However, the correct thread title is "I hung up like in the movies."

Though I suppose "an explosive mouthful of angry poultry feces" is a close second, if you can get past the ick factor.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new gig
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »

I think the food descriptions are a bit overwrought, personally. But I like the funny bits and since I'm never going to get to go to any of the places he reviews, that's what really matters.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:05 am »

I thought it was a well done review.  Struck the right balance between professional and funny.

And now I want to try Filipino food.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:01 am »

My best friend is half Filipino and as she says "if it's Filipino, everything has pork in it."  There's even a desert I've eaten that has pork in it.  I just remember reaching for a cake-like thing, with sugar dusting and she said "there's pork in that" and I'm like "you're kidding it looks like a dessert, and one of your aunts said it was..."  "It is, and there's pork in it."  I don't like pork by nature, so I'm not a huge fan of the cuisine, although some of the home cooked stuff I've had isn't too bad.

Also I object to a food reviewer referring to feces.  That is not cool unless it's actual feces and you are cautioning someone to avoid a place. 

Thirdly what is this infant he mentions at the beginning?  Has he had another kid or is one of his co-diners bringing along an infant?  I believe his daughter is far too old at this point to be correctly called an infant, right?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:12 am »

His daughter is a little bit younger than Danger Boy. So, about six and a half. But I think I saw it hinted somewhere that they might possibly be expecting another one a little while after Chaos Girl was born, and she's barely four, so it's possible he has a baby/toddler (under three). Or his dining partner may have been the one with the kid.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:03 am »

I think the feces line is so funny, he can have it.

But you know what I do object to? JL's new sig, because it seems to me that quote should properly be attributed to Lord Peter Wimsey. It is jarring to me to attribute it to the author, who I can't imagine as the sort of person who would say such a thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:56:14 am »

But you know what I do object to? JL's new sig, because it seems to me that quote should properly be attributed to Lord Peter Wimsey. It is jarring to me to attribute it to the author, who I can't imagine as the sort of person who would say such a thing.

You're correct, of course, but I am never quite sure whether to attribute a line spoken by a fictional character to the character or the author. I was so unsure of it, I Googled it, and some of the sites had it attributed to Wimsey, but most had it attributed to Sayers. So I caved to popular opinion.

If it bothers you that much, I will change it. I am, after all, only one of your fictional characters, when all is said and done.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:28 am »

You're correct, of course, but I am never quite sure whether to attribute a line spoken by a fictional character to the character or the author.

Maybe it depends on the character.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:42 am »

Speaking of feces and food, I am reading a novel set in Thailand which describes a lot of food and refers more than once to "penis-shit peppers."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:37 am »

Speaking of feces and food, I am reading a novel set in Thailand which describes a lot of food and refers more than once to "c*ck-shit peppers."

Wait, what kind of penis is that? Penis, penis, or c*ck?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 03:56:09 am »

There is a food truck here that does "Filipino-inspired" food. It is really good. Some kind of pork with spicy sauce and a "one hour egg" (seems like a soft boiled egg) on top is really good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:10:17 am »

Always cool to read a new perspective on food one eats regularly, especially when it's written by Onstad. Shame about the squid adobo though; it's a favorite of mine, but either nobody can figure out how grandma makes it or they've got the wrong sort of squid here.

Filipino cuisine is definitely big on pig, mostly because it would take actual effort and forethought to starve a pig in rural Philippines.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:58 am »

I used to live about ten blocks from that restaurant.

Nice review. I feel like I'm about to get suckered in to looking for his reviews and then he'll sort of trail off and I'll be burned again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's Food Column: 2012-02-16 [angry poultry feces]
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:48:28 pm »

Wait, what kind of penis is that? Penis, c*ck, or c*ck?
Stupid filter. The rodent kind!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up