The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on April 18, 2012, 05:22:33 am

Title: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: miles on April 18, 2012, 05:22:33 am
Now I'm really curious. Is it some kind of fucked up regional thing? A class thing? By my count, we have a Canuck, a dude who has spent his life split between the Pacific Northwest and the Mountain West (me) and a young man in St. Louis spelling it donut. And then a southern gal (right JL?), one of Ian MacKaye's neighbors and a guy who splits his time between Portland and Alaska spelling it doughnut.

What's the consensus of the board?

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I can't imagine anyone really cares enough for one anyway, but if I were, this ought to settle it:

(http://www.randysdonuts.com/200px-Randy%27s_donuts1_edit1.jpg)

And if not, this should:

(http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/f/fb/Lard_lad_2.PNG)
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Choop on April 18, 2012, 05:37:05 am
first vote cast, and it's for donut. this is one of very few cases in which i lean descriptivist.



ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiit
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 18, 2012, 06:17:53 am
For me it's a doughnut, but I ain't mad at donuts.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 18, 2012, 06:18:36 am
i picked "donut" because i am lazy.  i just want to eat the sumbitches.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2012, 01:58:41 pm
I always write doughnut because I have it stuck in my head that the donut spelling is a brand name. Kind of like how back in the day spelling on-line without the hyphen would get you sued back to the stone age by AOL. That plus Firefox's spell checker doesn't recognize it.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2012, 02:10:12 pm
I don't care how you spell it as long as you make the kind that is sort of rectangular with raspberry jam inside and granulated sugar on the outside.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 02:40:09 pm
I don't care how you spell it as long as you make the kind that is sort of rectangular with raspberry jam inside and granulated sugar on the outside.

I like how you have skin in the doughnut game.

For me, it's just that the producer that I linked to calls what they make doughnuts. Everybody else can be making donuts and I'm good with that. It's perfectly cromulent.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 02:44:22 pm
Of course,
(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OipmZG4MYds/T19Yxp_Ez0I/AAAAAAAAFAU/ICis38ZrfiU/s640/krispy.jpg)
vs.
(http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2011/02/dunkin-donuts-valentines-day-092-590.jpg)

Which is it, then? Where does your loyalty fall?
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 18, 2012, 03:42:40 pm
(http://philandmegan.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/1.jpeg?w=500&h=375)

This is my original fried dough-ring heaven, so you'd think I'd be a 'donut' guy, but I guess I always thought I was better than everyone else.

Driving back from church sometimes my dad would act like he'd lost control of the steering wheel, making him involuntarily turn left instead of the usual right.  Then he'd be all, 'Welp, guess we better park at Peterson's while I figure out what went wrong with the car.

Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 04:03:06 pm
Your dad sounds pretty awesome.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: jay-ell on April 18, 2012, 04:04:37 pm
I am a naturalized southerner, but I  spent my formative years in the midwest. My accent and dialect are so fucked up at this point that hardly anyone can tell where I'm from any more.

But yeah, it's doughnut. As in Krispy Kreme. Dropping three letters is just laziness.

It's what's wrong with America.

And what Wombles is describing is a beignet.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Choop on April 18, 2012, 04:10:05 pm
i have yet to find a glazed as good as a krispy kreme, but i'm bummed out that they discontinued the boston kreme. eclair meets the perfect glazed? heaven in a slip of wax paper.

on the other hand, dunkin has munchkins which just rock by the box.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 18, 2012, 04:25:14 pm
I am a naturalized southerner, but I  spent my formative years in the midwest. My accent and dialect are so fucked up at this point that hardly anyone can tell where I'm from any more.
I am totally understanding this, I can tell you.  

But yeah, it's doughnut. As in Krispy Kreme. Dropping three letters is just laziness.
But throwing in krazy K's where C's should be is kool.

It's what's wrong with America.

And what Wombles is describing is a beignet.
OH DAAAAMN!
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2012, 04:28:08 pm
i have yet to find a glazed as good as a krispy kreme, but i'm bummed out that they discontinued the boston kreme. eclair meets the perfect glazed? heaven in a slip of wax paper.

on the other hand, dunkin has munchkins which just rock by the box.


I thought that an eclair was filled with gross nasty ol' cream while Boston Cream is filled with wonderful delicious custard.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Choop on April 18, 2012, 05:02:24 pm
Quote from: Wikipedia
... Once cool, the pastry then is filled with a coffee- or chocolate-flavoured[1] pastry cream (crème pâtissière), custard, whipped cream, or chiboust cream; and iced with fondant icing.[2] Other fillings include pistachio- and rum-flavoured custard, fruit-flavoured fillings, or chestnut purée. The icing is sometimes caramel, in which case the dessert may be called a bâton de Jacob.

i can't see any reason for any variation other than custard, personally
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 05:19:19 pm
If it was good enough for little Robert Anthony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXVg2ep1hk), it's good enough for me.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: jay-ell on April 18, 2012, 05:26:39 pm
But throwing in krazy K's where C's should be is kool.

Yeah, I gotta admit, that bothers me too. But whatchagonnado?
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 18, 2012, 05:54:40 pm
Fugeddabowtit.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 18, 2012, 07:05:19 pm
I grew up with Dunkin' as the default donut shop, so there you go. Either way, they are damn good. Entirely TOO good.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 18, 2012, 07:19:40 pm
Joughnut.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 08:37:28 pm
Joughnut.

I'm pretty sure Voodoo Doughnuts makes a Dr. Pepper-flavored doughnut.

(All kidding aside, they used to make one with NyQuil in it, but they had to stop.)
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2012, 09:04:01 pm
And what Wombles is describing is a beignet.

What I am describing is a New York jelly doughnut. They don't resemble any beignets I have seen, although my beignet experience is limited. Do they make beignets with jam in them? And do they make them with granulated sugar instead of powdered? If so, tell me where and I am buying a plane ticket.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2012, 10:02:16 pm
I think I have had one like you describe somewhere around here, but I don't recall where. On this latest donut tour I never actually set foot inside any of the shops, I only ate some that my friend bought. Hmm. I will clearly have to go to all of them again to check it out.

Aug, I have to give you the St Louis donut ride report. Two blocks down Southwest Ave from World's Fair is a place called O'Fashion Donuts that I thought was also very good. The donuts were small and kind of crispy on the outside. The insides were pretty cakey, though. I liked the small size and crispiness.
Way down south on Hampton is St Louis Hills Donuts, which after this trip might be the champion. They have interesting combinations like a buttermilk donut filled with cream cheese, and an almond donut.
Eddie's Southtown, Plaza Donuts: not very impressive.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: AugustWest on April 19, 2012, 03:45:36 am
I think I have had one like you describe somewhere around here, but I don't recall where. On this latest donut tour I never actually set foot inside any of the shops, I only ate some that my friend bought. Hmm. I will clearly have to go to all of them again to check it out.

Aug, I have to give you the St Louis donut ride report. Two blocks down Southwest Ave from World's Fair is a place called O'Fashion Donuts that I thought was also very good. The donuts were small and kind of crispy on the outside. The insides were pretty cakey, though. I liked the small size and crispiness.
Way down south on Hampton is St Louis Hills Donuts, which after this trip might be the champion. They have interesting combinations like a buttermilk donut filled with cream cheese, and an almond donut.
Eddie's Southtown, Plaza Donuts: not very impressive.

We have driven past St Louis Hills Donuts and will probably stop someday.  World's Fair has a great deal of sentimental importance for Mrs. West and I.  We used to get hot out of the fryer cinnamon rolls for each other when we first got together and lived a block from there. 
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2012, 04:36:09 am
That is a really cute neighborhood! My roommates and I are talking about teaming up with a few other guys we know and trying to find a house to rent, and that is one of the areas where we are looking.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: miles on April 19, 2012, 05:15:04 am
What I am describing is a New York jelly doughnut. They don't resemble any beignets I have seen, although my beignet experience is limited. Do they make beignets with jam in them? And do they make them with granulated sugar instead of powdered? If so, tell me where and I am buying a plane ticket.

A Guide to the Best Doughnuts in New York (http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2008/10/guide-to-the-best-doughnuts-donuts-in-new-york-city-nyc.html)

Is the New York jelly "doughnut" you refer to represented in this guide? Because it sounds amazing. I usually plan trips around good burger places but if I can throw in a donut or two, all the better.

Raspberry Beignet (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazysundae/3625365855/). Reminds me of a Prince song.

Oh, Krispy Kreme vs. Dunkin' Donuts. I think Krispy Kreme's glazed dounts are pretty good if you can get them hot off the line, but generally I like donuts that have a little more substance. There aren't any Dunkin' Donuts locations in Utah as far as I'm aware, and I don't know if they are in Seattle either. They aren't big there anyway. I really do like Randy's Donuts, that photo from my first post. Now that we have In-N-Out in Utah, it's officially my first stop out of LAX. It used to be my second stop. Oh, and the next morning, I go for one of these (http://www.stansdoughnuts.com/peanutbutter.html).
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Choop on April 19, 2012, 07:13:15 am
see, the thing about a krispy kreme glazed is that it's a three-biter, whereas others need four to six bites to finish. so i have two instead of one. it's not for dunking, which i wouldn't expect, since i'm not buying them at a place named for the practice.

randy's has a good maple bar. i bought the t-shirt. they weren't doing them with bacon when i went, though voodoo in portland had just gotten popular with them. i haven't been to portland.

here in the A we have a place called sublime (http://sublimedoughnuts.com/) which does this fuck*ng killer strawberries-n-cream donut that might be my newest favorite. it's huge and messy and delicious. decent coffee, too, but not on par with dunkin's.

i need a joint around the corner from my house with peet's coffee, krispy kreme hot glazed, and strawberries&c from sublime. also flamin' hot chee-tohs because i'm like addicted. in all actuality i certainly do not need this joint, but if i hit the next big lotto jackpot? yeah. it'll happen.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2012, 08:44:12 am
I vote for Donut
(http://victoria.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/marketplace/businesses/images/2009/03/30/shipleys_updated_r470x260.jpg?86d48494c237f01f07dbf0fb9f3a08e2ebe567b4)

Of course,
(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OipmZG4MYds/T19Yxp_Ez0I/AAAAAAAAFAU/ICis38ZrfiU/s640/krispy.jpg)
vs.
(http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2011/02/dunkin-donuts-valentines-day-092-590.jpg)

Which is it, then? Where does your loyalty fall?

Krispy Kreme was never really a thing for me.  Shipley's is THE donut in Houston.  They've been around longer too.  Krispy Kreme is a Johnny come lately.  Their factory is a block from my house by the way. 

And Dunkin', that's just cake really, isn't it?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think Krispy Kreme's glazed dounts are pretty good if you can get them hot off the line

Yeah, that's sorta the major problem with Krispy Kreme
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/7092864917_be2224c3f8.jpg)

Aw what the hell, since I'm posting pics of donuts, might as well post this.
(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2596/3696200808_0339d328c1.jpg)

Anybody ever done donut jousting (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3657603342/)?


Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 19, 2012, 12:09:34 pm
at the farmshow in Harrisburg there is a vendor that makes potato donuts.

(http://www.pamatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/FarmShow16.jpg)

(http://www.altoonamirror.com/photos/news/md/503557_1.jpg)
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2012, 12:30:34 pm
A Guide to the Best Doughnuts in New York (http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2008/10/guide-to-the-best-doughnuts-donuts-in-new-york-city-nyc.html)

Is the New York jelly "doughnut" you refer to represented in this guide? Because it sounds amazing. I usually plan trips around good burger places but if I can throw in a donut or two, all the better.

Raspberry Beignet (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazysundae/3625365855/). Reminds me of a Prince song.

None of those are exactly the classic thing, but god damn it, I was at Almondine last time I was in in New York and there is a possibility I had that thing and I can't remember for sure. Either they were out of them and I didn't have one, or I had one and it was good but not the right thing so it didn't stick in my mind.

Next time I will go to the one in Park Slope and see if I can stop them before they put the powdered sugar on. I am willing to compromise.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 04:23:14 pm
There's no goddamn way I'd eat there. How do you have Chinese fast food and not have golden, palace, or kingdom in the name?

Voodoo makes a thing called the Memphis Mafia, which is a giant banana fritter with molten peanut butter and chocolate. It is awesome in every sense of the word.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: jay-ell on April 19, 2012, 05:56:37 pm
Wombat, I misread and thought "powdered" when you typed "granulated." My bad.

See, KK and DD are completely separate to me. It's literally like comparing apples and oranges. Maybe that's the key -- soft, light, fluffy glazed things are called "doughnuts" and cakelike rounds suitable for dipping in coffee are donuts.

I wonder if there's a correlation between who prefers DD and who spells it without the "ugh."
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: CortJstr on April 19, 2012, 06:05:06 pm
A Guide to the Best Doughnuts in New York (http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2008/10/guide-to-the-best-doughnuts-donuts-in-new-york-city-nyc.html)

Is the New York jelly "doughnut" you refer to represented in this guide? Because it sounds amazing. I usually plan trips around good burger places but if I can throw in a donut or two, all the better.

Raspberry Beignet (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazysundae/3625365855/). Reminds me of a Prince song.

Oh, Krispy Kreme vs. Dunkin' Donuts. I think Krispy Kreme's glazed dounts are pretty good if you can get them hot off the line, but generally I like donuts that have a little more substance. There aren't any Dunkin' Donuts locations in Utah as far as I'm aware, and I don't know if they are in Seattle either. They aren't big there anyway. I really do like Randy's Donuts, that photo from my first post. Now that we have In-N-Out in Utah, it's officially my first stop out of LAX. It used to be my second stop. Oh, and the next morning, I go for one of these (http://www.stansdoughnuts.com/peanutbutter.html).

Thank you for helping me figure out the one doughnut place I've been to in New York. I definitely had an orange doughnut at Doughnut Plant
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2012, 06:44:12 pm
See, KK and DD are completely separate to me. It's literally like comparing apples and oranges. Maybe that's the key -- soft, light, fluffy glazed things are called "doughnuts" and cakelike rounds suitable for dipping in coffee are donuts.

Obviously not.  Shipley's (predecessor to Krispy Kreme) are not cakelike and they spell it donut.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: side_show on April 20, 2012, 01:46:34 pm
My true favourite, stamped into my childhood brain are Those Little Donuts (http://www.thoselittledonuts.net/index.html) which works in the same way as Krispy Kreme in regard to stimulating the "want"part of the brain using the "fresh and hot" mandate.  Except Those Little Donuts are tiny single bite goodness tossed in cinnamon sugar rather than Krispy Kreme's three-biters with glaze.  You line up, typically at a fair or other event at the Those Little Donuts cart and  watch them pump out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqTmw3wDdg), and then you get your bag of insanely hot, sugary, crispy goodness, which typically contains a bakers dozen mini donuts, which is slightly more than one person is comfortable to consume, but slightly less than is enough to satisfy two people sharing a bag.  

Do you guys have those at fairs, carnivals, etc. in your part of the world?  There's guaranteed to be a Those Little Donuts or other mini donut vender at any such event in my area, or sometimes they'll just be there wherever food carts tend to convene.  There's even a place at the main tourist hub that sells them year-round.

I'm also obliged to note that a traditional aboriginal food, bannock/fry bread/les baigne, can be found in most communities, and it is sort of like an unsweetened donut in some regards.  It depends on the maker really, because what is called bannock is sometimes fried or sometimes baked or made in a skillet over a campfire.  Sometimes raisins make an unwelcome appearance, sometimes the final product is tossed with sugar...  It walks the line between bread and donut.  My grandpa and some elders I spoke to who lived through grinding poverty talk of living off bannock and lard sandwiches when there was nothing else to eat.  Also, I recall a Metis elder telling me about eating "les baigne et boulettes" which is Michif language and is a play on words for "bangs and bullets," but the food is "baigne" which is Michif language and clearly draws from the French "beignet" and "boulettes de viande" (meatballs).  The meal would be meatballs and frybread/bannock.  It's pretty interesting to me because the culinary history is tied to the revolutionary history (the Metis people held a rebellion against the government, which lead to our ancestors going underground for approximately 100 years.)  A culture and it's stories sometimes survive through it's food.

Likewise, but even more off topic, when I was very small my grandmother used to feed me a meal she called "les soldats" which consisted of a soft boiled egg in a little egg cup and buttered toast cut into thin strips called "soldats" (French for soldiers) which would then march to the egg and dip into the gooey yolk.  My grandmother was Belgian, but came to Canada before WWII.  A little googling makes me think she picked this up as a version of a British dish (http://exoticeatingexperiment.blogspot.ca/2008/04/eggs-with-toast-soldiers.html) however I was never taught of any connection to Humpty Dumpty, but rather that I was marching soldiers to war, and the egg was an explosion, the yolk their blood, and my job was to bite their heads off to quickly put them out of their misery.  I was (and continue to be) a picky eater, so this was an efficient way to get nourishment into me.  It's interesting and a bit disturbing when you think about all the connotations someone born in the early 1900's would have when it came to war.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Choop on April 20, 2012, 02:28:33 pm
as a kid, "donuts" meant the terrible cheap little cake ones from the bread aisle in the grocery store, split and toasted under the broiler, and buttered. usually with scrambled eggs at the table. they way you're describing them, smells, hot and fresh from the fryer? that sounds pretty good, actually; don't let them get stale in a plastic bag and then treat them the way my mother did.

as an adult, "donuts" means at least one glazed and one stuffed, with coffee, at the donut shop. this way is far, far better.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2012, 03:10:22 pm
at a nearby farmer's market there is a machine that makes small donuts, but it doesn't work like the one Smells posted. They are pretty good.
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2012, 08:54:56 pm
Sometimes we like to dunk our donuts into a cup of joe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/419158530/in/photostream/).
Title: Re: Doughnut or Donut
Post by: Nabubrush on April 20, 2012, 10:02:08 pm
I like how you have a photograph for any occasion.