Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Poll

Well, is it doughnut or donut?

Doughnut
- 6 (40%)
Donut
- 7 (46.7%)
Beignet
- 0 (0%)
A low-down dirty way to make a buck
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15


Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Doughnut or Donut  (Read 7923 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »

If it was good enough for little Robert Anthony, it's good enough for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »

But throwing in krazy K's where C's should be is kool.

Yeah, I gotta admit, that bothers me too. But whatchagonnado?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 05:54:40 pm »

Fugeddabowtit.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:19 pm »

I grew up with Dunkin' as the default donut shop, so there you go. Either way, they are damn good. Entirely TOO good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:19:40 pm »

Joughnut.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »

Joughnut.

I'm pretty sure Voodoo Doughnuts makes a Dr. Pepper-flavored doughnut.

(All kidding aside, they used to make one with NyQuil in it, but they had to stop.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:01 pm »

And what Wombles is describing is a beignet.

What I am describing is a New York jelly doughnut. They don't resemble any beignets I have seen, although my beignet experience is limited. Do they make beignets with jam in them? And do they make them with granulated sugar instead of powdered? If so, tell me where and I am buying a plane ticket.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »

I think I have had one like you describe somewhere around here, but I don't recall where. On this latest donut tour I never actually set foot inside any of the shops, I only ate some that my friend bought. Hmm. I will clearly have to go to all of them again to check it out.

Aug, I have to give you the St Louis donut ride report. Two blocks down Southwest Ave from World's Fair is a place called O'Fashion Donuts that I thought was also very good. The donuts were small and kind of crispy on the outside. The insides were pretty cakey, though. I liked the small size and crispiness.
Way down south on Hampton is St Louis Hills Donuts, which after this trip might be the champion. They have interesting combinations like a buttermilk donut filled with cream cheese, and an almond donut.
Eddie's Southtown, Plaza Donuts: not very impressive.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:36 am »

I think I have had one like you describe somewhere around here, but I don't recall where. On this latest donut tour I never actually set foot inside any of the shops, I only ate some that my friend bought. Hmm. I will clearly have to go to all of them again to check it out.

Aug, I have to give you the St Louis donut ride report. Two blocks down Southwest Ave from World's Fair is a place called O'Fashion Donuts that I thought was also very good. The donuts were small and kind of crispy on the outside. The insides were pretty cakey, though. I liked the small size and crispiness.
Way down south on Hampton is St Louis Hills Donuts, which after this trip might be the champion. They have interesting combinations like a buttermilk donut filled with cream cheese, and an almond donut.
Eddie's Southtown, Plaza Donuts: not very impressive.

We have driven past St Louis Hills Donuts and will probably stop someday.  World's Fair has a great deal of sentimental importance for Mrs. West and I.  We used to get hot out of the fryer cinnamon rolls for each other when we first got together and lived a block from there. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 04:36:09 am »

That is a really cute neighborhood! My roommates and I are talking about teaming up with a few other guys we know and trying to find a house to rent, and that is one of the areas where we are looking.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 05:15:04 am »

What I am describing is a New York jelly doughnut. They don't resemble any beignets I have seen, although my beignet experience is limited. Do they make beignets with jam in them? And do they make them with granulated sugar instead of powdered? If so, tell me where and I am buying a plane ticket.

A Guide to the Best Doughnuts in New York

Is the New York jelly "doughnut" you refer to represented in this guide? Because it sounds amazing. I usually plan trips around good burger places but if I can throw in a donut or two, all the better.

Raspberry Beignet. Reminds me of a Prince song.

Oh, Krispy Kreme vs. Dunkin' Donuts. I think Krispy Kreme's glazed dounts are pretty good if you can get them hot off the line, but generally I like donuts that have a little more substance. There aren't any Dunkin' Donuts locations in Utah as far as I'm aware, and I don't know if they are in Seattle either. They aren't big there anyway. I really do like Randy's Donuts, that photo from my first post. Now that we have In-N-Out in Utah, it's officially my first stop out of LAX. It used to be my second stop. Oh, and the next morning, I go for one of these.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 07:13:15 am »

see, the thing about a krispy kreme glazed is that it's a three-biter, whereas others need four to six bites to finish. so i have two instead of one. it's not for dunking, which i wouldn't expect, since i'm not buying them at a place named for the practice.

randy's has a good maple bar. i bought the t-shirt. they weren't doing them with bacon when i went, though voodoo in portland had just gotten popular with them. i haven't been to portland.

here in the A we have a place called sublime which does this fuck*ng killer strawberries-n-cream donut that might be my newest favorite. it's huge and messy and delicious. decent coffee, too, but not on par with dunkin's.

i need a joint around the corner from my house with peet's coffee, krispy kreme hot glazed, and strawberries&c from sublime. also flamin' hot chee-tohs because i'm like addicted. in all actuality i certainly do not need this joint, but if i hit the next big lotto jackpot? yeah. it'll happen.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:12 am »

I vote for Donut


Of course,

vs.


Which is it, then? Where does your loyalty fall?

Krispy Kreme was never really a thing for me.  Shipley's is THE donut in Houston.  They've been around longer too.  Krispy Kreme is a Johnny come lately.  Their factory is a block from my house by the way. 

And Dunkin', that's just cake really, isn't it?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think Krispy Kreme's glazed dounts are pretty good if you can get them hot off the line

Yeah, that's sorta the major problem with Krispy Kreme


Aw what the hell, since I'm posting pics of donuts, might as well post this.


Anybody ever done donut jousting?


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »

at the farmshow in Harrisburg there is a vendor that makes potato donuts.



Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »

A Guide to the Best Doughnuts in New York

Is the New York jelly "doughnut" you refer to represented in this guide? Because it sounds amazing. I usually plan trips around good burger places but if I can throw in a donut or two, all the better.

Raspberry Beignet. Reminds me of a Prince song.

None of those are exactly the classic thing, but god damn it, I was at Almondine last time I was in in New York and there is a possibility I had that thing and I can't remember for sure. Either they were out of them and I didn't have one, or I had one and it was good but not the right thing so it didn't stick in my mind.

Next time I will go to the one in Park Slope and see if I can stop them before they put the powdered sugar on. I am willing to compromise.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up