The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 04:32:09 pm

Title: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 04:32:09 pm
The old topic is old, and long, and we were going to need one of these eventually. Plus I have this (albeit somewhat NCAA as opposed to NFL):

(http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/sappu.gif)
I could watch that for days.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 19, 2012, 06:19:45 pm
I really, really do not give a flying fuck about the NFL draft, and I hate how much bloviation is given over to it on ESPN and elsewhere. I am quite content to check the news the next day, see who the top picks were, and who my favorite teams picked up. That's plenty. It's a travesty that Mel Kiper Jr. could be considered a celebrity in this country.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2012, 08:18:17 pm
I try to avoid all sports news. Like Ash, I'll see you in August or thereabouts.  And with the season the Texans had last year their fans are going to be extra insufferable this year. 
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 09:06:03 pm
I don't care a whole lot about the draft (and talking heads who say that the draft is the fourth major sport in this country). However, I'm down with some free agency shit. For instance, the 49ers picked up Mario Manningham, Brandon Jacobs . . . and Randy Moss. That ought to be interesting. On the other hand, if they win it all this year (yes, with Alex Smith) I will be setting people on fire.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 20, 2012, 01:41:51 am
I really like the draft, but I don't watch the coverage. That's unbearable. But I do read up on reports ahead of it and follow it online or on my phone.

Speaking of free agency, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2012/3/25/2901965/broncos-free-agents-2012-dennis-dixon).
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 20, 2012, 12:38:46 pm
I saw that, and I consider it funny as hell. There's a chance the Bolts might get to flame out in the first round after all!
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 20, 2012, 05:57:56 pm
Wait, whut?

Is there something wrong with a lineup of Manning, Hanie and Dixon at QB?

Also, how do the Bolts play into anything?

Goddam early onset dementia!

Raiders suck, Chiefs pretty much suck, Broncos are putting together a total crapshow line-up at QB - thereby ensuring a entrance and quick exit for my boys.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 20, 2012, 06:47:35 pm
My prognostication is that Manning lasts six games, max.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Choop on April 21, 2012, 06:19:27 am
dammit eli or peyton (where if anywhere is peyton playing)
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 21, 2012, 02:07:31 pm
Dude, c'mon. Eli has graduated and is the successful Manning. He'll be fine. Peyton is looking at game 6 vs. the Chargers, during which Antwan Barnes will make him decide "I already cashed this 18 million dollar check and I don't have to pay a nickel back? My neck hurts. Hello full-time commercial work!"
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2012, 05:40:40 pm
"I already cashed this 18 million dollar check and I don't have to pay a nickel back?

That would be a cold play.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 21, 2012, 06:08:21 pm
Wait, whut?

Is there something wrong with a lineup of Manning, Hanie and Dixon at QB?

Yes, one of my favorite college athletes playing for the team I hate more than most things in the world.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 21, 2012, 07:57:49 pm
But...but...wouldn't it warm your heart a little bit if Dixon picked up the reins and took the Broncos back to the promised land?

Then you'd have an Oregon QB to be proud of from this century.

(sorry Dan Fouts)

25 goddamn years since that giant of the gridiron last played. I shed a single tear today.

Also, Paul gets a can. That's another fantastic callback you threw out there.

Also, eh. Hanie is not so good. Dixon is ok, but I don't think he's ever going to work out in the NFL.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 22, 2012, 12:22:03 am
If Dixon weren't so goddamn injury prone (and didn't miss what was shaping out to be at the very least a Rose Bowl if not national title run his senior year due to a torn ACL) I think he'd be a mildly successful QB by now. But yeah, I agree with you. But fuck if he wasn't one of the most exciting college QBs ever.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 22, 2012, 05:29:36 am
But...but...wouldn't it warm your heart a little bit if Dixon picked up the reins and took the Broncos back to the promised land?

Then you'd have an Oregon QB to be proud of from this century.

(sorry Dan Fouts)

That would be the case with literally any other team in the NFL. I even made an effort to watch and rooted for the Steelers when he started.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 22, 2012, 09:40:26 pm
Yeah, that's one of those things. Somebody from BSU goes to the Broncos (looking at you, Ryan Clady (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Ryan-Clady/8ff5aae9-bdbb-45f1-a082-8d6ae3aa896b)) and he's dead to me. Unfortunately Ryan Clady is good.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 22, 2012, 09:56:47 pm
Man, I didn't realize you guys from the not-even-good-enough-to-fly-over states could get such a Bronco mad-on.

Dude, I am from Alaska and I live in Oregon, out of the three states being contemplated Colorado is the one that sucks.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 22, 2012, 11:27:25 pm
Man, I didn't realize you guys from the not-even-good-enough-to-fly-over states could get such a Bronco mad-on.

From Seattle. I guess if you're afraid of the rain and also a fair weather sports fan, sure, choose Denver. Seattle wins in every other category though.

As far as my hatred for the Broncos, it's a rivalry from the AFC West days when my mom's brother lived in Denver. Which I actually think is a fantastic city.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 01:07:27 am
Wait, they actually raped a guy? I like them even less now.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 23, 2012, 01:25:52 am
All I remember from the old AFC West days was the Broncos coming into the Kingdome and raping Jim Zorn and breaking off Curt Warner's knee.

Why would a dude want to relive that? Hell, I'd think you'd be relieved to be San Fran's whipping bitch now.

Dude, please. We've won the NFC West title five times since we moved back in '02. The 9ers, twice. Yeah yeah, the NFC West is a joke, blah blah. And if the Broncos would have beat the Steelers and landed themselves in Super Bowl XL, we finally would have given it back.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 23, 2012, 04:21:56 am
Heh. Well played.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 06:07:04 pm
What? Get off the Hi-5 with that. We all know the Broncos would have taken them SeaChickens out.

I mean, they are far more accomplished cheaters than the Steelers, after all.

Well, the Broncos are great cheaters, but the Steelers do that whole "unreasonably violent" thing.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 06:25:43 pm
Crap man, when did those words start residing comfortably adjacent to each other.

The first time a Steeler QB threw a pick with Hines Ward on the field?
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 06:31:56 pm
Rock on, miggroid. On the other hand, his peers seem to feel the same way I do. Of course, opinions may vary on whether the NFL is progressing or regressing, but I like the forward pass and shit, so I'll go with the Hines Ward rule being a good addition.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 07:51:04 pm
Or, you know, progress. You got the dinosaur thing right, though.


Nah, I'm just busting your balls.


Seriously, though, go get your shinebox.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 24, 2012, 04:43:02 pm
Everybody does it, it's just that the Saints were the ones in the box when the number came up. The whole backstory on that with dude not getting his documentary out or whatever kind of sucks, though.

Fuck it, at least the Saints won the big one.

/bitter Chargers fan
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 26, 2012, 04:36:20 am
We all know at the bottom of the pile dudes are getting their fingers busted, and that's just the ice you see. Norv's cheating . . . he just is terrible at it.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 28, 2012, 01:57:57 am
You're dead to me, LaMichael.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: jaydub on April 28, 2012, 04:08:56 am
Is Ingram any good in pass coverage?  Maybe they want him as a backer.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: miles on April 28, 2012, 02:38:58 pm
The Broncos just keep killing them off for you, don't they?

The 9ers got him. I'm over it, but it stung at first.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on April 29, 2012, 12:09:50 am
Hey Chargers, an undersized DE in the first round?

Why Not?

You're the football guy, not me, but I like that pick.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2012, 09:54:51 pm
So, Ash, what did you think about my two fellow alumni going in the first round? OLB Shea McLellin #19 to the Bears and RB Doug Martin #31 to the Bucs? I'm not sure BSU has ever had anyone drafted in the first before (and six picks in total). Also, the Lions are going to take a flier on Moore, so we'll see how that goes. I don't think he'll stick, but it's nice they're giving the kid a chance.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2012, 10:41:29 pm
Also, did you see the Raiders signed Leinart to back up Carson Palmer? I . . . uh . . . I'm not scared or anything, but are we sure Al Davis is really dead?
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2012, 11:35:38 pm
You know I go to you for NFL info, but Matt Leinart is a better looking Ryan Leaf (other than the pill issues).
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2012, 02:14:47 am
fuck*ng Junior Seau suicide at 43. I'm surprised about how I'm taking this. Of course, I'm the same age as he was and he was sort of the big star when I was getting more into the team.

Damn.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 03, 2012, 01:00:06 pm
Yeah, shit starts to get real when famous people your own age are dying, for whatever reason. Increasingly I am glad I didn't play football.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2012, 05:39:30 pm
He didn't really have a publicized history of concussions. He had that weird deal where there was some kind of domestic abuse thing and then he drove his SUV into a ditch. I don't know, I have a gut feeling this is more like a depression thing.

Oddly, I will be in San Diego tonight.
Title: Re: NFL 2012 - Reign of the Ginger Hammer
Post by: Nabubrush on May 04, 2012, 08:24:13 am
Yeah - he just seemed so involved in all kinds of stuff, though. I mean, not like some guys where you think "whatever happened to . . ." I have just always been worried about that driving off the cliff thing.