The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: wombat on June 07, 2012, 12:30:28 pm
-
It's the anniversary of Dorothy Parker's death. Has anyone actually read anything by her? I mean more than witty quotes and maybe a poem that's only several lines long. I don't think I have and am wondering if I should remedy this.
-
Dorothy Parker is who I wanted to be before I met you, Wombles. I think the two of you would get along.
She was my first female literary inspiration. Well, maybe second -- after Ursula K. LeGuin. She was the perfect counterpoint to the women authors my Mom put in my hands -- Louisa May Alcott and Laura Ingalls Wilder, et al. She proved to me that women writing about women didn't have to be sweet and sentimental.
Her poetry is what most people know her for but IMHO her very best works are her book and theatre reviews. If you only read one, read her review of "A House at Pooh Corner." She was probably the greatest critic who ever walked the earth.
"Big Blonde" is her most renowned short story, and it's fine, but I prefer some of her shorter vignettes, particularly "The Little Hours," "Here We Are," and "Just a Little One." I wish I could find the full text of these online for you, but I can't find any at sites that don't contain the word "torrent" in the description. In fact, it appears that the compilation I own is out of print -- most everything out there now is either all poetry, all short stories, or all reviews. Check the library, is my best guess.
But, yeah. Worth reading. None of her stuff is terribly long, either, so if by some chance you end up not liking it, you haven't lost much.
-
If I'm going to use the anniversary of someone's death to spur me towards reading their work it would be Ray Bradbury.
-
Dorothy Parker is who I wanted to be before I met you, Wombles.
So very flattering but to be honest, perhaps you should switch back - she made a much better living at it.
-
If I'm going to use the anniversary of someone's death to spur me towards reading their work it would be Ray Bradbury.
Good?
-
So very flattering but to be honest, perhaps you should switch back - she made a much better living at it.
Perhaps, but you seem so much happier.
-
Perhaps, but you seem so much happier.
The only metric for happiness begins with $ and extends to the East.
Despite her being a communist, I really liked Enough Rope.