Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  (Read 1903 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

It's the anniversary of Dorothy Parker's death. Has anyone actually read anything by her? I mean more than witty quotes and maybe a poem that's only several lines long. I don't think I have and am wondering if I should remedy this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:52:52 pm »

Dorothy Parker is who I wanted to be before I met you, Wombles. I think the two of you would get along.

She was my first female literary inspiration. Well, maybe second -- after Ursula K. LeGuin. She was the perfect counterpoint to the women authors my Mom put in my hands -- Louisa May Alcott and Laura Ingalls Wilder, et al. She proved to me that women writing about women didn't have to be sweet and sentimental.

Her poetry is what most people know her for but IMHO her very best works are her book and theatre reviews. If you only read one, read her review of "A House at Pooh Corner." She was probably the greatest critic who ever walked the earth.

"Big Blonde" is her most renowned short story, and it's fine, but I prefer some of her shorter vignettes, particularly "The Little Hours," "Here We Are," and "Just a Little One." I wish I could find the full text of these online for you, but I can't find any at sites that don't contain the word "torrent" in the description. In fact, it appears that the compilation I own is out of print -- most everything out there now is either all poetry, all short stories, or all reviews. Check the library, is my best guess.

But, yeah. Worth reading. None of her stuff is terribly long, either, so if by some chance you end up not liking it, you haven't lost much.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »

If I'm going to use the anniversary of someone's death to spur me towards reading their work it would be Ray Bradbury.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »

Dorothy Parker is who I wanted to be before I met you, Wombles.

So very flattering but to be honest, perhaps you should switch back - she made a much better living at it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:32 pm »

If I'm going to use the anniversary of someone's death to spur me towards reading their work it would be Ray Bradbury.

Good?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

So very flattering but to be honest, perhaps you should switch back - she made a much better living at it.

Perhaps, but you seem so much happier.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:15 pm »

Perhaps, but you seem so much happier.
The only metric for happiness begins with $ and extends to the East.
Despite her being a communist, I really liked Enough Rope.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up