The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2012, 10:17:40 pm

Title: Larry Clark
Post by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2012, 10:17:40 pm
After a recent trip to Tulsa (http://www.artcarnation.com/pages/newsPerm.php?newsID=494) I discovered Larry Clark (http://thislandpress.com/05/09/2012/tulsa-revealed/). He is a photographer famous for his photo book from that city filled with images of young junkies shooting up and fuck*ng back in the 60s. Do a Google Search (https://www.google.com/search?q=larry+clark+tulsa&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Xa8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsob&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=gHjST8PGIIbA2gWqw8yuDw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CFMQ_AUoAQ&biw=1296&bih=947) and you can see a lot of the images there.

He's gone on to make controversial movies including Kids and Bully. I remember watching Kids in the theater. That one really shook me up. It was too raw.

Am I the last person on earth to discover this guys work?
Title: Re: Larry Clark
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 09, 2012, 11:29:35 am
Kids was a mockumentary.
Title: Re: Larry Clark
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2012, 04:04:02 pm
Kids was a mockumentary.

It's shot in a pseudo documentary style, does that in and of itself make it a mockumentary? What is it mocking? It seemed to me to be earnestly telling a very sordid story.
Title: Re: Larry Clark
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 09, 2012, 07:25:03 pm
I think Ricky Gervais made sure mockumentary meant one thing, and it is not like mock chicken.
Title: Re: Larry Clark
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2012, 09:01:32 pm
I think Ricky Gervais made sure mockumentary meant one thing, and it is not like mock chicken.

Ricky Gervais is late to the mocumentary game actually.

But really, what I am asking, the reason for this thread, is to know if anyone else has heard of Tulsa, the photo book by Larry Clark and what you think of it?
Title: Re: Larry Clark
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 09, 2012, 11:18:58 pm
I haven't and I thought, damn, that seems cool.  I've done hard drugs in Tulsa though, so maybe appeals to me more.  I also chose to ignore my instinct of that looks cool I should check it out cause I am pretty busy and stressed and already have like 20-30 gb's of music to put into iTunes and listen to.  That is enough media for now.  Thank you for sharing though, maybe I'll remember in a while and check it.  I wonder if the center of the universe is in that book.  I'm on my iPhone, but y'all should google center of universe tulsa, it is pretty dope.
Title: Re: Larry Clark
Post by: AugustWest on June 10, 2012, 03:18:07 am
Ricky Gervais is late to the mocumentary game actually.

But really, what I am asking, the reason for this thread, is to know if anyone else has heard of Tulsa, the photo book by Larry Clark and what you think of it?

Have not heard of the book, but it does sound pretty interesting.