Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Larry Clark  (Read 1898 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Larry Clark
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:40 pm »

After a recent trip to Tulsa I discovered Larry Clark. He is a photographer famous for his photo book from that city filled with images of young junkies shooting up and fuck*ng back in the 60s. Do a Google Search and you can see a lot of the images there.

He's gone on to make controversial movies including Kids and Bully. I remember watching Kids in the theater. That one really shook me up. It was too raw.

Am I the last person on earth to discover this guys work?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Larry Clark
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:35 am »

Kids was a mockumentary.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Clark
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:04:02 pm »

Kids was a mockumentary.

It's shot in a pseudo documentary style, does that in and of itself make it a mockumentary? What is it mocking? It seemed to me to be earnestly telling a very sordid story.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Clark
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »

I think Ricky Gervais made sure mockumentary meant one thing, and it is not like mock chicken.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Clark
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:01:32 pm »

I think Ricky Gervais made sure mockumentary meant one thing, and it is not like mock chicken.

Ricky Gervais is late to the mocumentary game actually.

But really, what I am asking, the reason for this thread, is to know if anyone else has heard of Tulsa, the photo book by Larry Clark and what you think of it?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Clark
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »

I haven't and I thought, damn, that seems cool.  I've done hard drugs in Tulsa though, so maybe appeals to me more.  I also chose to ignore my instinct of that looks cool I should check it out cause I am pretty busy and stressed and already have like 20-30 gb's of music to put into iTunes and listen to.  That is enough media for now.  Thank you for sharing though, maybe I'll remember in a while and check it.  I wonder if the center of the universe is in that book.  I'm on my iPhone, but y'all should google center of universe tulsa, it is pretty dope.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Clark
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:18:07 am »

Ricky Gervais is late to the mocumentary game actually.

But really, what I am asking, the reason for this thread, is to know if anyone else has heard of Tulsa, the photo book by Larry Clark and what you think of it?

Have not heard of the book, but it does sound pretty interesting.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up