The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on February 25, 2013, 07:35:07 am
-
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2013/02/achewood-2013.html (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2013/02/achewood-2013.html)
Huh.
-
I don't know how I feel about the weird cel-shaded animation, but the Godfather Of Souls dance looked pretty good.
It's improved since the first draft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUdU8Q0nAo
-
all one episode every eight months
all storylines abruptly ending for no apparent reason
-
damn, I was hoping no one else would see this, and I'd go to bed, and in the morning I would realize it was all a dream.
-
There are going to be voice actors. They will get the voices wrong.
Make my (never to appear) free entertainment to my exact specifications, damn it.
-
anticipation like a motherfucker, for better or worse.
-
Then there was this one from around Christmas, with voices:
http://vimeo.com/56127468
And yeah, Ray's voice is wrong, but Phillipe pretty much hits my mental image.
-
I am stunned, gobsmacked, flabbergasted and dumbfounded. I hope I don't die when I have surgery next month because I really want to see this.
-
I am stunned, gobsmacked, flabbergasted and dumbfounded. I hope I don't die when I have surgery next month because I really want to see this.
But just for this one reason, I'm sure.
-
I am happy to see this because -- yay, Achewood -- and also because -- yay, Onstad is not sitting in a dark corner rocking back and forth!
-
Adult Swim here we come.
-
I don't know. Sometimes I just don't know how to feel. A couple of days ago, I was sort of feeling sad but relieved that maybe finally Achewood had died. Now this.
-
I think this is awesome, doing it in another medium is a great way to give it another life, inspire him to do new work with it, etc. I don't see any downside, except that yeah, we will probably hate the voices.
You know, if he had been writing a series of novels, and he hadn't published a new one in a couple of years, we wouldn't assume the series was dead. Sometimes there are reasons things take longer. And it's not like he was ever really on board with conventional notions of how often to put out a strip. Speaking as someone who hasn't managed to publish another book in a couple of years now, I'd hate if people assumed there was no chance I'd ever do it again.
-
I don't know. Sometimes I just don't know how to feel. A couple of days ago, I was sort of feeling sad but relieved that maybe finally Achewood had died. Now this.
I can't add another tab to my browser's startup routine without getting a warning every time. Just last week I was considering finally removing Achewood as the first startup tab then this happens.
-
I was gonna suicide, this came just in time. Now am punchink air in ecstasy.
-
Maybe not Adult Swim, though.
I could well see a channel like FX or Comedy Central or Spike taking another stab at taking down Adult Swim and trying to use Achewood as one of the central pieces of a counter block of programming.
-
This is awesome!!! And I am already starting to wrap my head about Ray's voice.
-
Actually I am afraid he is not going to be able to sell this to commercial TV, but I am trying to have faith.
-
holy toledo
-
I hope he does shorts like 3-5 minutes and not a full half hour thing.
-
i hope roast beef sounds just exactly the way that i imagine he sounds and not like some jazz project with computer aspirations.
-
It will aspire to reach Brad Neely levels of adult swim. Let's check back when the first short is released sometime around Christmas.
-
It will aspire to reach Brad Neely levels of adult swim. Let's check back when the first short is released sometime around Christmas.
Let's hope it's that good.
-
I cannot wait to find out what Mr Bear sounds like, and see him move. I hope they get Garrison Keillor for his voice. Or Sean Connery. Or Sterling Holloway. Or Hugh Hefner.
-
LIMMO
It only just now occurred to me that this could also be a new golden age for TOUAMB.
-
It will aspire to reach Brad Neely levels of adult swim. Let's check back when the first short is released sometime around Christmas.
Hmm, my first thought upon hearing this news was "I hope they do a better adaptation job than China, IL." I only watched the first few episodes but felt the Adult Swim version lost a lot of the warped poignancy that made the original Baby Cakes shorts so good.
-
Hmm, my first thought upon hearing this news was "I hope they do a better adaptation job than China, IL." I only watched the first few episodes but felt the Adult Swim version lost a lot of the warped poignancy that made the original Baby Cakes shorts so good.
That worries me as well. In this case the original version is a static cartoon. Hard to compare the two. I really hope it's good is all.
-
Ugh. I had thankfully forgotten about China, Il. I miss the professor brothers, though.
-
Neat! The trailer looks a bit off though, it looks like 3D animations built to look like simple 2D drawings rather than just digital animated frames, if that makes any sense.
-
Neph, that is exactly what I was thinking. Yuck.
I think at best it will take a little while for the show I get things right, as opposed to just trying to wedge old comic strip jokes into a new format. I hope they get the chance to get into the groove.
-
Then there was this one from around Christmas, with voices:
http://vimeo.com/56127468
And yeah, Ray's voice is wrong, but Phillipe pretty much hits my mental image.
Yet so close.
Ray really should use the same voice actor as Flutterguy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGJJDL5EUA
Phillipe should have the same voice actor as Catbug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHk6UADtDQ
Actually, I'd accept the voice of Impossibear as Ray's voice too.
Remember kids: It's always been Wankershim.
-
I am surprised no one has commented on the music. It is perfect.
-
I cannot wait to find out what Mr Bear sounds like, and see him move. I hope they get Garrison Keillor for his voice. Or Sean Connery. Or Sterling Holloway. Or Hugh Hefner.
Stephen Fry. Or Edward Herrmann if you want less British.
We have a couple threads on this, no?
-
I am surprised no one has commented on the music. It is perfect.
It is perfect.
-
Stephen Fry. Or Edward Herrmann if you want less British.
Kelsey Grammar.
And yes, I think we do have threads on this.
Also, yes, the music is perfect.
-
I think David Attenborough (the guy who did the Planet Earth and BBC narration of Life amoung other things) would be awesome.
As for Beef, either of these KITH would do, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoaoP3aJi5U) though Dave Foley would be my top pick.
-
I think animation could produce some really amazing things for Achewood. A sense of timing for one - long pauses on stark scenery have always been done by means of an extra panel. Now we can find out just how long they are. Also the motion - Lyle scissoring his feet as his body pitches up to 45 degrees in either direction, never quite connecting with the floor for some reason, is how I always pictured him moving around. I think watching that would be extra hilarious. I think I'm probably wrong about that one, but I'm sure he'll have a pretty decent stagger. I'm getting more and more stoked.
-
Wired has a story up with quite a few new details in it. Including who's voicing Philippe and Ray: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/achewood-tv-show/
-
Among other exciting tidbits in that article comes this non-Achewood-related gem:
Fox is set to debut its own late-night animation blog with Axe Cop, a series based on another webcomic that features the voice talent of Parks and Recreation‘s Nick Offerman.
YES
-
A NEW WEBSTORE
It would be great to be able to put on my Achewood sweatshirt without thinking "maybe I shouldn't wear this, it is irreplacable."
-
Also, The Mayor suggesting a Scatman Crothers type voice is a ringer for me.
ZING: http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=1166.0
-
Are we agreeing, then, that Ray is black?
-
Ray sounds in my head like a rich white guy who sort of tries to sound like a mellow African American jazz musician but really only half-tries because the privileges of wealth allow him to never have to try very hard at anything... with that not-quite-fully-stoned-but-a-light-buzz-on-at-all-times thing Jeff Bridges uses in his lighter roles mixed in there.
-
How about Tim Heidecker for Roast Beef? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QK3kq7Ogpo
-
Though Heidecker is kind of a genius, from what I've heard he's kind of hard to work with unless you're one of the few people he deigns to consider his equal and...
I could see the creative interactions between him and Onstad as being... difficult.
-
Roast beef is pretty easy voice acting - it just needs to be monotone and low volume for the most part. They could cast anyone.
-
Roast beef is pretty easy voice acting - it just needs to be monotone and low volume for the most part. They could cast anyone.
It's easy. Anybody could do it. All you have to do is talk like this.
-
I don't feel like I have a good mental image of how any of the characters talk. And yet I am sure I will be the first to complain bitterly if I think the voices are wrong.
-
You all saw this, right?
http://youtu.be/b_97q16TFxk
I don't know how to video on this forum :(
Anyway I think that the voices aren't that bad and could grow on me. I think the timing is kind of flat, but maybe that's because I'm so used to all these setups from reading the comic a billion times that my standards are much higher.
Adult Swim would be so perfect for this. Spike or FOX would be awesome too. Back-to back Achewood and AXE COP??? :o Is so good.
I always imagined Ray and Beef to talk like this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-ryo1SnqE
So I actually think Ray's voice is rather close to that. Could be toned down a bit though.
I didn't expect Beef to sound the way he does, but it's also ok with me. It's also Onstad himself so that's just damn fine.
Apparently Ray's VA is Artie the Strongest Man in the World from Pete & Pete. OMG 90s!!!!
I still think the animation is too 'uncanny valley' (like what is up with Tina, girl looks all weird).
I was hoping for more hand drawn flash styles. Anybody ever see the Shmorky animation?
Anyway, I WILL watch the butts out of this show. If it actually becomes a thing. And they change the voices. And the animation. Lol jk brah
-
Cat is out of the bag. Some of us have seen it under pain of death for posting it publicly. Now you can all go crazy.
-
I hadn't seen that! It was great! Phillipe sounded just like a woman pretending to be a small child, which is exactly how I pictured his voice.
I like the intellectual edge to Ray's voice. It is just the kind of intelligence that can peel back with a few glasses of Macallan 1926 reserve, in the pilot seat of airwolf.
I dig the Roast Beef - it had a matter-of-factness that I wasn't expecting, but I guess was always there.
I'm stoked to see some todd.
I can't help but think all the characters look like Mii's. That could be a good or bad thing.
-
I hadn't seen that! It was great! Phillipe sounded just like a woman pretending to be a small child, which is exactly how I pictured his voice.
I like the intellectual edge to Ray's voice. It is just the kind of intelligence that can peel back with a few glasses of Macallan 1926 reserve, in the pilot seat of airwolf.
I dig the Roast Beef - it had a matter-of-factness that I wasn't expecting, but I guess was always there.
I'm stoked to see some todd.
I can't help but think all the characters look like Mii's. That could be a good or bad thing.
Fun Fact: Phillipe is voiced by the woman who voiced Ling-Ling on Drawn Together.
-
It's good stuff. I agree Ray's voice doesn't fit with what I hoped for at all and I think it needs a lot of work, but otherwise it's quality stuff. That little tiny snip of Pat's voice is perfect. And by perfect, I mean it sounds exactly like my closeted ex!
-
Phillipe should have the same voice actor as Catbug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHk6UADtDQ
That is so perfect. Too bad.
-
Okay, are we done talking about this?
-
I had a hard time hearing Onstad, especially in the Toilet Party sketch. I hope they fix that when it goes to production. I know that Beef's character always speaks more quietly and mumbly than the others, but either subtitle it or clear it up a little.
Hiring a white voice actor like Huss to affect an African-American brogue is probably not going to go over well. Ray's voice is just too inconsistent and all over the place even in the five minutes of test footage. If Onstad wants Ray to sound black, they should hire black actors. I do think that Huss dialed it back a few notches in the mood-whiskey sketch, and I thought that was pretty good. I also agree that the tiny slices of Tina and Pat's voices were awesome.
-
I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice. This just a sample to pitch the concept. I'd be more worried that once a real studio is involved, they'd choose totally awful voices, except that Onstad has history of pulling out when he doesn't have creative control.
Paul, why do you want us to be done talking about it?
-
No, I was dismayed that there was not more being said. I wish I had more to add myself, but I'm not nearly as critical as you guys in this matter. I do agree with whoever said that some of the jokes that killed in print kinda fell flat. I'm hoping that a better director can fix that. The jokes are solid.
Of course I'm a bit disappointed they didn't lead with Philippe is Standing on it (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001).
-
I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice.
It all depends, really, on the approach they were taking.
If they're doing it for the networks, yeah, they would probably want as many semi-"name" voice actors to be on as possible, to create mainstream visibility or at least visibility in a lot of difference niches at once which is... kind of the closest thing we have to niches these days.
If it's on something with a shoestring budget, though, like Adult Swimmy sometimes they like having creators voice things because then they don't have to pay them anything more than the minimum because they're already getting their slice as writers or producers and it gives them a certainty that said voice talent won't jump ship over a raise because, you know, they're otherwise attached.
Plus having the creator do a voice or two helps when you put them on a talk show or a comic con panel because... hey... the casual fan who doesn't care who the writers or producers are but knows the voices can be like "hey, that's the voice guy"! The horrible fuck*ng goddamned awful Seth MacFarlane shows are all about that shit and so is the sparkling amazing best fuck*ng show on television ever show The Venture Brothers.
They might believe that having the creator as a voice actor would lend a certain stamp of authenticity to bring along the cult audience.
So depending on the outlet and the outlet's marketers, some would consider the creator doing one of the main voices a moderate plus just as some would consider it a non-starter-level minus.
The fact that the other people on this sample are recognizable character actors/voice actors suggests to me that if Onstad wasn't at least hoping to voice Beef, they would've just gotten another semi-known voice actor for the role.
-
You know what else I am curious about - do you think the voice actors were paid? Or would they do it for free in hopes of really getting cast as the characters if the thing happens?
-
I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice.
I read something in the Wired article that he really wanted to find someone else to do the voice. Found it, "DiGregorio voices Philippe while Onstad takes on Roast Beef himself, though he hopes find someone else to voice the character in the future." Apparently Huss is already a done deal for Ray, Onstad likes him that much.
I'm not really knowledgeable about the voice talent industry, but Onstad used professional talent and I'm pretty sure they would have been paid for the pitch. He is working with a Emmy-level producer, Josh Lieb, so I would imagine that if he brought his A-game and hired good talent for the pilot or test footage, the studio execs would be more receptive to picking him up. I would imagine the voice actors would get a contract if the show gets picked up, and if the show blows up they would be able to negotiate really high salaries for themselves like the voice talent for the Simpsons did.
-
Jesus, I go away for four to five years and this happens?
Do you people need more adult supervision or what?
-
More thoughts:
I thought the whiskey sketch was the most poorly translated bit. It was just really flat and awkward, especially the "kiss my ass bitch I'll be at Duane's" part. I cried when I saw this. (not really)
Actually every sketch had kind of flat parts and kind of funny parts. Just inconsistent overall.
I will be fine with Toby Huss, but it seems like he has yet to find a groove with Ray.
This show would do way better with a faster pace. Think Family Guy. MacFarlane knows how to do timing, even if his jokes are played out.
And I really can't get used to the mocap 3d style either. Cheap and minimal flash would suit Achewood so much better. Onstad gotta get him some Koreans/different Russians/Canadians.
-
I disagree about a faster pace. I think the pace captures the pace of the strip.
Speaking of disagreeing, I just have to say again that Ray is wrong about scones.
-
Apparently Huss is already a done deal for Ray, Onstad likes him that much.
I kind of hope this is one case where he ends up having to give up a little creative control then... but I suppose I would get used to it.
-
Did anyone mention the Cotton hill connection here yet?
Cotton is kinda a hero of mine.
Huh. Cotton Hill is also the Strongest Man in the World.
Who knew?
-
Yeah, Cotton Hill rocks!
-
Hiring a white voice actor like Huss to affect an African-American brogue is probably not going to go over well.
Aside from my Scatman Crothers hang-up, I've always thought of Ray as a white guy who tries to sound black, so in that regard this would actually make sense.
-
No, I was dismayed that there was not more being said. I wish I had more to add myself, but I'm not nearly as critical as you guys in this matter. I do agree with whoever said that some of the jokes that killed in print kinda fell flat. I'm hoping that a better director can fix that. The jokes are solid.
Of course I'm a bit disappointed they didn't lead with Philippe is Standing on it (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001).
I am surprised they didn't bust out Phillipe's Mouth (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10152001) at the earliest opportunity. Maybe they're honing it.
-
I am surprised they didn't bust out Phillipe's Mouth (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10152001) at the earliest opportunity. Maybe they're honing it.
That would require some kind of weird-ass file, wouldn't it?
-
A file for sharpening a young alive stuffed otter's mouth: a weird-ass-file.
-
Is this the real world?
-
Is this the real world?
Is this just fantasy?
-
No escape from reality.
-
Oddly enough, while I was running this afternoon I discovered that Bohemian Rhapsody is, like, the greatest song ever for interval training. I was walking, and then my training program told me to start running just as the "I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me" section began, and I just pounded the shit out of that trail while singing, "no no no no NO NO NO mamma mia let me go!"
It was pretty amazing, yeah. Almost made worthwhile the whole miserable punishment of making my fat lazy body move fast.
-
It's also a great way to express an entire range of emotions when you're arrested by the RCMP for intoxication. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqymcJRSbxI)
-
I don't care what you say or who you thought you knew you were - Ray Smuckles does not have a deep voice.
-
To be honest, I pictured him sounding like Burt Reynolds. I was ready to be wrong about that one though.
Jay-Ell that sounds adrenal. I love that place where my mind goes when my body is tired and exerted beyond what is reasonable to expect of it. I get the most surprising music stuck in my head at those times. Never songs I like.
-
It's also a great way to express an entire range of emotions when you're arrested by the RCMP for intoxication.
This caused me to imagine getting arrested by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for intoxication.
Which is kinda amazing.
-
I don't care what you say or who you thought you knew you were - Ray Smuckles does not have a deep voice.
I was seriously about to argue with you about this -- after all, Ray gets miffed at Téodor making fun of him "all in [his] corny deep voice" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03292005) -- but then I realized that that could just be the voice T uses to make fun of people.
Also, I always kind of imagined Ray sounding kind of like Big Smoke from GTA San Andreas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8yH-2RWPRA). Or at least, a bit more gravelly than Toby Huss's interpretation.
-
If they ever went live action...
Ray Smuckles looking for Todd: (http://25.media.tumblr.com/f2b78903e853cfe438b41a99842873e6/tumblr_mj4f8g7hzY1ridzkbo1_500.jpg)
Bigger pic: http://misodoctakleidistman.tumblr.com/post/44809066095/tgarrison774-it-is-one-of-those-kinda-nights
-
Ray would never be caught dead in bib overalls.
-
Dude, like http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03072002
-
Ray would never be caught dead in bib overalls.
c'mon buddy.
-
c'mon buddy.
We talked about this.
-
I changed the title of this thread. It's been bugging me for 7 pages. I might want to be able to find it in the archives someday.
-
Ray would never be caught dead in bib overalls.
That was my first thought, too! Apparently, we're both dead wrong.
But at least we're wrong together.
-
I changed the title of this thread. It's been bugging me for 7 pages. I might want to be able to find it in the archives someday.
That is a good point. Sometime in the far away future when Achewood has been running for as long as the Simpsons we'll look back on this moment fondly...
-
That is a good point. Sometime in the far away future when Achewood has been running for as long as the Simpsons we'll look back on this moment fondly...
easy, tiger. one step at a time.
-
Quote from: AugustWest on March 08, 2013, 01:26:20 PM
Ray would never be caught dead in bib overalls.
_______________________________________ __________________________________
That was my first thought, too! Apparently, we're both dead wrong.
But at least we're wrong together.
You guys are not wrong. Those are not bib overalls. They are cartoon underwear. That is what Ray wears under his thong. You just don't see it, because usually he is wearing a thong over it.
-
You guys are not wrong. Those are not bib overalls. They are cartoon underwear. That is what Ray wears under his thong. You just don't see it, because usually he is wearing a thong over it.
A can for the man who speaks the uncomfortable truth.
-
that was actually Ray's skeleton
-
We were talking about Home Fries somewhere else on this board and I linked to the strip where Ray says he knows how Mrs. John Lithgow feels. I just looked and the next strip was the start of the toilet party (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01112005) and I'll be goddamned if I didn't read it with these voices (http://youtu.be/b_97q16TFxk).
-
You all saw this, right?
http://youtu.be/b_97q16TFxk
SCONE RHYMES WITH GONE. NOT CONE
Chrissake
-
SCONE RHYMES WITH GONE. NOT CONE
Chrissake
http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=scone&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l&org3=y
Disagrees and so do I.
-
SCONE RHYMES WITH GONE. NOT CONE
I am having trouble even saying it like that.
Also, Hey Judy, what's up!`
-
Two countries divided by a common language.
-
SCONE RHYMES WITH GONE. NOT CONE
Chrissake
Even with 'gone' there seems to be a slight difference in pronunciation between Brits and 'Murricans. Most of us Yanks would think you pronounce it like 'skaahn' from just reading that.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
-
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
My new sig!
-
A thread on FB today started with "There are two certainties in this world: death and someone immediately correcting you if you mispronounce the word 'pho'."
That followed up with people suggesting other words like gyro and ... quesadilla? Apparently some people say that kay-suh-dill-uh. It makes my brain hurt just to think about.
-
Apparently some people say that kay-suh-dill-uh.
How would you say it?
-
like it's spelled. or, phonetically, kay-sah-dee-yah.
-
kay-suh-dill-uh.
I misred the 'dill.' The rest of it seems okay to me. I don't feel very strongly about this word. It's the most American of Mexican foods. Perhaps it should only be pronounced with whatever regional American accent you bring to it.
-
I think both scones and quesadillas are nativized to the point that it's no surprise that the words have done the same.
-
One time my roommate was visiting his parents in Boston, and made himself a quesadilla for lunch. His mom asked what kind of sandwich that was. He tried to explain, and she claimed she had never eaten a quesadilla or heard of one until that moment.
-
If this continues I'm going to have to split off a thread called "The prescriptivists go after food vocabulary."
-
It's still vaguely on topic. Scones were discussed in the trailer.