The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on March 29, 2013, 04:58:11 am
-
I get to see the Mariners play the Rockies in an exhibition game in Salt Lake on Saturday. Pretty fuck*ng excited.
Hey, is it too late to get a fantasy league started?
-
The Astros are in the American League. MLB can suck my cock!
-
I got an e-mail to rejoin last year's Yahoo league. I think Nabu is running that show. No idea when we draft or actually start.
Going to the Nats-Yankees exhibition game today, and Opening Day on Monday. They gonna raise a division champs banner at Nationals Park, which will be awesome.
-
If we end up with an odd number, Owensboro Muttonheads would like to play.
-
The Astros are in the American League. MLB can suck my cock!
Well, at least you won your first AL West game. Seattle got humiliated in their first. fuck*ng Angels.
-
If we end up with an odd number, Owensboro Muttonheads would like to play.
Any objections? He'll take it pretty seriously, so if that spoils the vibe for anybody I can put the kibosh on it.
-
As long as he's OK that I don't take it seriously.
-
Opening Day at Nationals Park was hell of such as fun yesterday. Two Bryce Harper home runs, 7 shutout innings from Strasburg. Gonna be a fun year.
-
Anybody know the league ID and password so's I can email it to him and we can get this bitch started?
-
Not sure, but if it's the same as last time:
League ID#: 133321
League Name: Achewood Memorial Baseball
Password: nicepete
-
On the one hand, the dude's instinct to protect his mate is very low. On the other, covering your eyes and ducking is not smart behavior. If she breaks up with him over this he may have dodged a bullet in more ways than one.
-
His only excuse would be if she had yelled "I got it!".
-
When is the draft?
-
Bystanders all clapping.
-
My Nats tickets are in the upper deck just about right behind home plate, and we pretty much never have foul balls come up that far. However, for one game last year I had tickets in the mezzanine level down the left field line. When a foul ball came screaming down the line and hit the facade over top of us before falling back to the lower level, my daughter's eyes got big as dinner plates. Not as spastic as that young man, but she was definitely "holy CRAP you mean the ball could come over here?!"
-
Did it hit the dude in the brown jacket right in the belly? Talk about abs of steel (albeit padded with a generous spare tire). You'd think he would have dropped like a bolted cow.
-
Did it hit the dude in the brown jacket right in the belly?
It hit the Plexiglas retainer in front of them.
-
Nah, it's more of a mesh thing, but yeah, it didn't hit that dude.
-
Seriously though. When do we draft? Does someone need to do something?
-
Never mind, just read the notification. Thanks Nabu!
-
No wonder he couldn't take Michigan anywhere. Edit: OR. His draft stock just plummeted, like that baseball about 30 feet from the mound.
(http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/805/128/denardfirstpitch_original.gif?1365539889)
-
Who picked up Bryce Harper in our league? Oh that's right, it was me. You are all DOOMED.
I was there for this monster last night: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/04/11/bryce-harpers-incredible-solo-home-run-video/
-
His draft stock just plummeted, like that baseball about 30 feet from the mound.
Or it went up, because the football coaches who were watching that game saw him make a wise decision about shoulder health by lobbing it like that.
-
What the hell team was that, Walgreens?
(http://www.couponaholic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/walgreens-logo.png) (http://www.sportsgeekery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nationals-iphone-7-sm.jpg)
-
(http://i.imgur.com/VCqQwET.gif)
Epic!
-
That was at a Mariners game. They lost to Houston that night. I was watching the game and that was pretty much the only highlight for me.
-
I've seen on FB a petition for people to stop doing the wave at baseball games. They want people to just sit quietly and enjoy the game. I've never been to a baseball but but I say that sitting quietly and listening to the announcers is what TV is for. Live sports is for standing, cheering, and singing "you came a long way just to lose" at the visitors/their fans.
-
That was at a Mariners game. They lost to Houston that night. I was watching the game and that was pretty much the only highlight for me.
Maaaan, why you gotta go remind me the Astros are in the AL now?
-
I've seen on FB a petition for people to stop doing the wave at baseball games.
Go to the goddamn opera. Sports are for losing your mind.
-
Sporting events are for watching sports. The wave is for bored assholes that don't give a shit about the game.
-
Yeah, I know both cort and jaydub don't necessarily follow the big 4 sports, but the wave is, uh, not cool? Like the opposite of a soccer chant or losing your mind.
-
Shit, I'm watching them kick the Angels ass in or the second night in a row. You can have 'em back, Paul.
Yup. It was nice knowing that the Mariners weren't going to end up in last place again, but then the Astros decided to play some baseball.
Yeah, I know both cort and jaydub don't necessarily follow the big 4 sports, but the wave is, uh, not cool? Like the opposite of a soccer chant or losing your mind.
The wave sucks. But I'm not going to start a fuck*ng petition about it.
-
The wave sucks. But I'm not going to start a fuck*ng petition about it.
Yeah, that would be my position. It doesn't bother me the 1-2 times I buy the $4 seats a year.
-
I don't normally do this, but I had to de-can Paul for the Walgreens thing and Kyle for the wave thing.
There are times when the wave is OK. If the game's a blowout, it's between innings, whatever. But at least at Nationals Park, there seems to be a knack for doing the wave at inopportune times--say in the 8th inning with a one-run lead and men on and our bullpen trying to desperately get out of a jam. THAT'S when you should be watching the damn game. And our relievers are on record as saying they don't like it when they're on the mound.
Yesterday would have been a fine time to do the wave, though, as the Nats got their ass completely handed to them. Still, it's early yet.
-
I don't normally do this, but I had to de-can Paul for the Walgreens thing and Kyle for the wave thing.
It's okay, I can take it. I went for the easy laugh. But I sense this is not the first time you've seen this comparison and it's become something of a sore spot for you. Try to take the long view. Back in the 70s the Astros uniform (http://news.sportslogos.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Screen-Shot-2012-06-01-at-08h23.06-1.png) was a laughing stock. I think it's the coolest uniform ever.
-
Oh, the 'stros uniforms rocked. I liked when the upper deck of the Astrodome was done in the same color scheme.
You know what was a laughing stock? The year the White Sox wore shorts. http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/thewhitesoxshorts.htm
-
Oh, the 'stros uniforms rocked. I liked when the upper deck of the Astrodome was done in the same color scheme.
The seat colors came before the uniforms.
-
I think it's the coolest uniform ever.
My first little league team wore that uniform. I think it scarred me.
Yeah, I know both cort and jaydub don't necessarily follow the big 4 sports
I wouldn't care much if the NBA went away, and MLB lost me after the 1994 strike. I was a diehard A's fan, and interested Giants observer up to that point. I still enjoy minor league games. I've never been to a pro hockey game; and IMO the game doesn't come across on TV well. I'm a dedicated NFL fan however. As in, a Combine-watching, draft-following, 32-team interested fan. I'm deeply committed to the 49'ers and fair-weather with regard to the Raiders, viscerally repulsed by the Dallas Cowboys, and delighting in the misfortunes of the Rams. The departure of Amendola relieves me of considerable cognitive dissonance, as I liked him as a player despite his association with the Rams.
-
32-team interested fan.
Yeah! That's what I am as well. I can't manage to give a fuck about the Texans, but I have enjoyed watching them play these past two seasons. Although, it's tough watching them with around a bunch of rose colored glasses wearing Texans fans, particularly my roommate.
-
Hey, question for the Mets fans, I know we have a couple. If I want to go to the Phillies-Mets game on Sunday, July 21 (which is Dwight Gooden bobblehead day as well), I should probably buy tickets in advance, eh? Or is there a buyer-friendly secondary market on StubHub?
Where's good to sit at Citi Field? I like "good value for the money" rather than "pay through the nose and sit real close" or "sit a zillion miles away in the cheap seats."
-
Hey, question for the Mets fans, I know we have a couple. If I want to go to the Phillies-Mets game on Sunday, July 21 (which is Dwight Gooden bobblehead day as well), I should probably buy tickets in advance, eh? Or is there a buyer-friendly secondary market on StubHub?
Where's good to sit at Citi Field? I like "good value for the money" rather than "pay through the nose and sit real close" or "sit a zillion miles away in the cheap seats."
Funny you should ask, I'll be in NYC next Saturday and was thinking about catching the game that night. Not sure about it because I'll be flying in from Europe just a few hours before the game, but I'm interested in the same information.
It's probably a stretch to call me a Mets fan but they are definitely my favorite NL team. And if you get a chance, try to snag an extra Doc Gooden bobblehead and I'll buy it from you. I kind of worshipped the '86 Mets.
-
I didn't end up going to the Mets game so can't give you any information. I did see the Book of Mormon musical and can recommend that, but it'll cost you way more.
-
And just like that your Banana Town Scones move from the basement to playoff position.
-
Well of COURSE Bryce Harper hit a home run in his first at-bat back off the DL. Yes, of course he did.
Hopefully this is a sign that the Nats will get their shit together and make a run in the second half.
-
Its a race to the bottom in the NL West. I take cold comfort that the Dodgers suck almost as much as the Giants at this stage.
-
Dang, last time I looked I feel like the Rockies were in 4th or something and a few games under 500. Now they are in second and a few games under 500!
-
Citi Field was pretty nice. That Matt Harvey fellow is a fine pitcher. Full trip report to be published to the blog some time this week.
Miles, you still want my Dwight Gooden bobblehead? PM me if so. Quote from one of my friends at the game: "does its head bobble by itself, or do you have to give it cocaine first?"
And thank you, people of TOUAMB, for liking my knife post on FB. I knew you would.
-
If Miles no longer wants your Doc, I call secondies.
Dude played in my town briefly when he was in the minors, for my screenname's namesakes.
-
If Miles no longer wants your Doc, I call secondies.
Dude played in my town briefly when he was in the minors, for my screenname's namesakes.
I cede the Doc to LFM. You deserve it man.
Miles, you still want my Dwight Gooden bobblehead? PM me if so. Quote from one of my friends at the game: "does its head bobble by itself, or do you have to give it cocaine first?
Awesome.
-
As you wish. LFM, PM me your address. I'll try to find a shitload of bubble wrap.
-
As you wish. LFM, PM me your address. I'll try to find a shitload of bobble wrap.
-
PM sent!
How may I remunerate you?
-
I'll try to find a shitload of bubble wrap.
Bobble Wrap?
-
How may I remunerate you?
Send me something similarly amusing at some point. Doesn't have to be right away.
-
LFM, I haven't gotten Dwight in the mail yet. Hopefully by the weekend.
The Nationals are pretty well fucked this season. What a downer.
-
Oh man, thank you so much for the Bobblehead, sir!
It is three distinct shades of rad.
I will ruminate upon how to return the favour.
-
Get me some Syracuse Chiefs swag sometime. They're the Nats' Triple-A affiliate right now so I actually know who some of those guys are.
-
Cool! Next time I pass through the 'Cuse, I will try and remember to!
-
If they ever do a Tyler Moore bobblehead, I want that.
-
If they ever do a Tyler Moore bobblehead, I want that.
Mary Tyler Moore?
-
Har har. If Mary dropped her first name, had gender reassignment surgery, and turned into a polite young man from Alabama who can hit baseballs real far, then yeah, Mary Tyler Moore.
-
Funny. I saw that name and thought of Dana Scully's pseudonym from the X-Files episode "Arcadia". Not having been a fan of the Dick Van Dyke show, I wasn't aware of its previous usage (although the X-files writers were). I thought it was some sort of play on Petri dish.
-
I used to dig on the Dick Van Dyke show when I was a wee tot. I also liked the Mary Tyler Moore show, but that was later. Television rocked in the 70s.
-
Two weeks to go in the regular season for our fantasy baseball league, so how about a review.
Technically, no one has clinched a playoff spot yet, but The Modern Dance, Sumo Shortstops, Owensboro, and Oakey Blues are all pretty much there. It's a question of who will take the 1 and 2 spots and get the first-round bye. Four games separate those four teams so it could well come down to the final week. Numerous head-to-head matchups among those four this week and next.
In the lower half of the bracket, the Mixed Pickles are all but done, and the Petards and Banana Town are trying to hold off the Monkeys for the last two playoff spots. Conveniently, Banana Town has the Petards this week and the Monkeys next week.
History in our leagues has been that just getting in the playoff is the important step. Being the #1 seed or a low seed may not matter much after that. Good luck all.
-
Anything can happen in the playoffs.
-
Last week's scores:
Banana Town 6, Petards 4
Owensboro 9, Monkeys 1
Dance 7, Pickles 3
Shortstops 6, Blues 4
Top 4 teams all clinch playoff spots. The Dance stay in first; Owensboro vaults the Shortstops for second and the first-round bye.
The Monkeys didn't do much for their cause to take a playoff spot. They pretty well have to sweep Banana Town to get in, or hope the Petards get blanked by the last-place Pickles.
Last week of the regular season. Good luck all y'all.
-
Final week of regular season scores:
Banana Town 7, Monkeys 3
Pickles 6, Petards 3
Shortstops 5, Dance 4
Blues 6, Oilers 4
The Modern Dance take the regular-season flag. Owensboro hangs on to the #2 seed and the first-round bye.
The Monkeys didn't have enough to get the last playoff spot.
First-round:
4 Blues vs. 5 Banana Town
3 Shortstops vs. 6 Petards
1 Dance and 2 Owensboro await. Good luck every one.
-
My take on same:
(http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0sujhZ24z1rrdywqo1_400.gif)
-
First round play-off results:
Shortstops 7, Petards 2
Banana Town 5 (all pitching), Blues 5 (all hitting). Tiebreaker: regular season head-to-head cumulative results. That goes Banana Town 16, Blues 12.
Semi-finals:
Banana Town vs. the Modern Dance
Shortstops vs. Owensboro
Good luck youse mugs.
-
OK Mayor, that was pretty damn funny and kinda took the sting out of it. Good luck.
Not a good week for you and close games, eh?
-
DAMMIT but Strasburg is a wuss. Why the hell would you work on a new pitch in September, unless you're completely out of the playoff race?
-
But he was pitching just fine! It's not like he'd lost movement on his pitches and had gotten shelled recently. W-L record aside, he was pitching like one of the best in the league.
-
Fuck that noise! I want to win my fantasy baseball playoff game! Strasburg needs to get his ass in there and pitch!
In all seriousness, though, yeah he's probably dedicated to continuous improvement. But given the problems he's had with his mechanics and missing starts already this year, AND the Nats desperately trying to catch a playoff spot, I just don't think this month was a good time to be tinkering.
-
Semi-final results:
Banana Town 9, The Modern Dance 1
Shorstops 6, Owensboro 4
History in our leagues has been that just getting in the playoff is the important step. Being the #1 seed or a low seed may not matter much after that. Good luck all.
Banana Town vs. Sumo Shortstops in the final, a rematch of the 2008 finals which AW won by the narrowest of margins. The Modern Dance vs. Owensboro for the bronze medal.
Most years the final has been two weeks, but this year it's only one.
Good luck, Egg Man.
-
And to you.
Did The Modern Dance spend the off week doing hookers and blow? Dang!
-
Yup.
-
Based on a review of the stats (http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/173095/headtoheadstats?pt=B&type=stats), it looks like it should be a battle between my hitting and your pitching.
-
That's how it usually goes for me. Build a really good pitching staff, hope the offense is decent enough to steal a category or two every week.
-
BTW you should make Owensboro Greg join the board. (Of course he has to read the entire Achewood archive first.)
-
The TOUAMB archive can be done at a more at a more leisurely pace once he's here.
-
Based on a review of the stats (http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/173095/headtoheadstats?pt=B&type=stats), it looks like it should be a battle between my hitting and your pitching.
Well, here we are on the last day of the season and the Mayor and I are locked in a 5 - 5 tie. Much as we predicted, he has 4 of the 5 pitching categories, I have 4 of the 5 hitting categories. Stay tuned for Game 7.
-
Tie goes to AW, I believe.
I added Billy Hamilton for the express purpose of capturing the stolen base category. Since I've added him, he has zero steals. Need him to come up big today, but for all I know he may not even start.
-
Congrats to AW on back-to-back champeenships, after defeating my Banana Town squad 5-4. Also AW's third title in the six years we've had a league. For me, my third second-place finish, fourth time in the top three, but no ringzzzzz.
Owensboro Greg wins the third-place game over The Modern Dance 6-4.
Thanks all for a great season.
-
Thanks Mr. Mayor! Good season, everybody. Back to back -- I didn't realize. WOOOO!!!!
I hope everybody had fun.
-
And this not even a keeper league.
I played in a highly competitive keeper league on Sandbox for something like six years. For much of that time, my team was colossally bad. But that coincided with the Phillies laying the groundwork to finally get good, and with that being the team I followed at the time, whenever one of their hot prospects got called up (Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels), I grabbed them up. And our keeper rules were such as a guy you took off the waiver wire you could keep for like six seasons, if you wanted to.
I finally won that league in 2007 (perhaps not coincidentally, the Phillies made the playoffs that year for the first time since 1993), and looked poised to be successful for several years to come. And rather conveniently, when that season ended, several guys decided they didn't have time to play anymore, and the league disbanded. Yes, I was bitter about this.