The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 20, 2013, 04:02:47 pm

Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Asherdan on May 20, 2013, 04:02:47 pm
(http://web.archive.org/web/19970716162623/http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~nkpatel/mr.t/img/ba01.jpg)
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 20, 2013, 04:47:09 pm
I've done this a few times and its delicious. Super-Bonus: Practically no clean-up required.
What did you do to the skin if anything?
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: AugustWest on May 20, 2013, 07:34:55 pm
Hell, I used to have a little ceramic deal to use instead of a beer can.  It was shaped like a beer can at the top, then flared out to a wider base so as to give your poultry a firmer foundation, as it were.  I should look for that thing.  Or buy some beer.  Or something.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 30, 2013, 06:07:43 pm
I spatchcocked (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01182008) and grilled a bird over the weekend. It came out OK, but I have been thinking I haven't done the beer can thing in a while. Good call.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2013, 07:03:01 pm
Have never heard of Spatchcooked chicken. Sounds interesting. And that beer can bird looks absolutely perfect.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: nephilim8 on August 15, 2013, 02:23:56 pm
It means butchering a bird by cutting out its backbone and flattening it. It's how we grill birds for most of our company meals. Where'd you grow up?
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Choop on August 15, 2013, 02:42:59 pm
oh i pulled a spatchcock last weekend, made a quick rub using a bunch of things but most importantly and for the first time ever, coffee (ground super-fine with mortar & pestle). it added a damned fine layer of complexity to the finished meat. anybody else ever tried it?
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 15, 2013, 05:52:05 pm
I've used a coffee rub on steak before. Don't think I've ever tried it with chicknnzzzz.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2013, 03:18:01 am
It means butchering a bird by cutting out its backbone and flattening it. It's how we grill birds for most of our company meals. Where'd you grow up?

I grew up in Houston Texas and in our family we just cut the birds in half when we went to grillin'.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 16, 2013, 04:15:09 am
I grew up in Oklahoma (and knew the type of people who would know how to grill some shit.  For instance, I have had deer prepared in at least ten ways.  Our neighbors killed their own cows and rabbits.  So did my family for a bit.) and have never heard of this spatchcook either.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: nephilim8 on August 16, 2013, 02:03:24 pm
Also, it's spatchcock. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01182008) I should have add the quotes to make it obvious I was quoting.
Title: Re: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2013, 03:00:10 pm
I'm old, that's my excuse.