The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on September 20, 2013, 11:40:08 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09202013 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09202013)
I got no comment. Still speechless that there are new comics.
-
fuck*ng beautiful. ALso life can't be that bad for me, I never had to jam for eggs for a living.
-
... or have leper lobes?
-
I can't tell if Molly is also annoyed at the music or at Beef for making a scene. I hope it's the former because Beef is totally correct.
-
I actually just saw Depeche Mode live in concert last week and can confirm Beef's statement to be true.
-
Is it Correct to go to "jazz brunches" and yell because there is music?
I am torn because I am perpetually annoyed by "brunch culture" but breakfast food that you don't cook yourself is good. Cupcake girl talked all the time about how "shitty" the breakfast places in St. Louis were. Barf.
There is this newer place that RULES. Southwestern Diner on Southwest Avenue. Breakfast burrito Christmas style. (This is funny because Christmas morning breakfast burritos are a Thing for my family, but "Chrismas style" means it has green and red chili on top.)
-
Depeche Mode played a concert in Houston last night. I am not a Depeche Mode fan.
-
Depeche Mode is still alive? There is a "brunch culture"?
-
Depeche Mode is still alive? There is a "brunch culture"?
Thank you for making this post so I didn't have to.
-
I didn't know but could have guess Brunch Culture was a thing. Youngish rich people these days... making scenes out of every fuck*ng thing. I am still trying to make scenes the old fashion way- shoegaze and dope.
Also, this was the best fuck*ng achewood in like 5 years? I laughed like 4 times. I have looked at it a few times...that Pat panel gets me every time.
-
"brunch culture" might be something I made up as a phrase, but in general, Brunch is like the hip meal. Every city has to have cute little brunch places that are kind of hip and edgy and have classic breakfast foods but slightly fancy. I am all for putting a new spin on classics but most of these places are not my style.
What is weird is that STL is a city with really great food, but the fancier brunch places here are not very good. Lots of greasy spoon diners with eggs and waffles, though, which is what I really wanted anyway. Nashville has great breakfast food. Sweet potato pancakes? Deep-fried Monte Cristo sandwich? Yes.
Recently a new coffee place opened nearby which has maybe the best coffee I've ever had, but I HATE IT TO HELL because it is trying so hard to look cool. I guess if you are a college-educated white person working a service job you have to display as much weird cultural capital as possible at your coffee place. I label the vibe "barn laboratory." Down the street is the coffee place my friend works at, where the coffee is medium-good and the surly college-grad guy behind the counter doesn't pretend to be a artistic scientist.
-
"brunch culture" might be something I made up as a phrase, but in general, Brunch is like the hip meal. Every city has to have cute little brunch places that are kind of hip and edgy and have classic breakfast foods but slightly fancy.
This is intensely true if you are in Portland. There's a whole episode of Portlandia about standing in line for the hot new bruch place in town. My friends who live there simply call it "Firstmeal." You can eat it at 10am or at 2pm and no one cares.
I've enjoyed the few jazz brunches I've had, but I've had them in New Orleans where you go for the jazz and the eggs end up being annoying.
-
There's a whole episode of Portlandia about standing in line for the hot new bruch place in town.
the best episode
-
but seriously who the fuck wants an organic kale and free-range mackerel omelet when it's overcooked and basically just folded over the filling anyway
learn how to make an actual omelet, people, the filling gets cooked into the eggs anyway and it's supposed to be runny in the middle jesus
on the other hand, brunch culture here in atlanta introduced the ultimate bucket-list dish: fried chicken biscuit and gravy. seriously, a splayed biscuit topped with a boneless fried chicken breast and smothered in sawmill gravy. and now that i had it, and loved every bite, i never have to put myself through the rest of that sunday again
-
And those fancy brunch places are expensive as all fuck. The hell I want to pay $18 for pancakes and bacon.
-
The hell I want to leave the house to eat eggs for?
-
The hell I want to leave the house to eat eggs for?
Maybe you got no sense of eggs?
-
Maybe you got no sense of eggs?
There's nothing wrong with my egg-sense, sister.
-
I think eggs and bacon on a Sunday morning at home is something we can all agree on.
-
The hell I want to leave the house to eat eggs for?
Only if you want hollandaise sauce on them because who wants to deal with making that shit on a Sunday morning.
-
Only if you want hollandaise sauce on them because who wants to deal with making that shit on a Sunday morning.
Good point. My whisking arm gets tired.
-
(http://spinarecipe.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hand-mixer.jpg) (http://spinarecipe.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hand-mixer.jpg)
-
I think eggs and bacon on a Sunday morning at home is something we can all agree on.
I think I last bought eggs over a year ago to make quiche. I believe I bought some bacon in 2007.
-
I think I last bought eggs over a year ago to make quiche. I believe I bought some bacon in 2007.
The Saddest Thing.
-
flying solo for breakfast this morning after dropping the missus at her office, i hit up a waffle house and gruffled down a bacon-egg-and-cheese sammich with some scattered and covereds and a vanilla coke. i sure as shit didn't need no $18 bourbon challah french toast with rhubarb compote or $22 soysage and pickled veggies plate with carob brioche
(but switch that rhubarb to blueberry and i might pay $12 for it)
-
I think I last bought eggs over a year ago to make quiche. I believe I bought some bacon in 2007.
Sounds like you could use a spreadsheet that tells you when you need to buy eggs or bacon based on how much eggs or bacon you started with.
-
Sounds like you could use a spreadsheet that tells you when you need to buy eggs or bacon based on how much eggs or bacon you started with.
I wanted to give you a can for this, but you already have the perfect number of cans.
-
We buy eggs 2 dozen at a time, and always run out before our next trip. I am not sure how.
Well, one part is that my roommate's girlfriend thinks they are her eggs to hard-boil and take to work. Um.
I ate two meals in a row of eggs that came out kind of bad, and now I am Done With Eggs for a while. I have always liked soft-boiled eggs, but this time they were disgusting. I didn't want to waste the food so I forced them down. Bad decision.
-
i must master this (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1688/Waffle-House-Hash-Browns93985.shtml)
-
After all this talk everone is getting an egg in a basket for Sunday breakfast now.
(http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2007/12/egg-in-a-basket.jpg)
Titty toast!!!
-
5 dozen eggs lasts my wife and i 3 weeks at the most. we love breakfast for any meal and we do lots of cooking from scratch(for health, not snobbiness).
-
I just ate a tasty scrambled egg sandwich.
-
5 dozen eggs lasts my wife and i 3 weeks at the most. we love breakfast for any meal and we do lots of cooking from scratch(for health, not snobbiness).
Whoa, do these kids today think that cooking from scratch is snobby?
-
My wife is bad at checking the fridge and pantry before she makes the shopping list, so some weeks I'll get three cartons of chicken broth and then come home to find five already in the pantry and no place to put the new ones.
Last weekend it was like that, but with eggs. I bought a dozen and this was on top of the full dozen we already had, plus an open carton with six or eight eggs all up ins. That's the kind of egg supply that leads to gratuitous egg inclusion in all meals.
She makes up for it by having me also buy bacon even if there's nothing on the weekly menu that requires bacon because she says "it doesn't feel right to not have bacon in the house."
I miss the fine beef of Ohio but the fine and plentiful pork of North Carolina is a good thing to make up for it.
-
... she says "it doesn't feel right to not have bacon in the house."
Those are words to live by. Also sausages. Sausages are my fast food. Grilled if it is seasonable, pan fried in inclement weather.
-
My wife is bad at checking the fridge and pantry before she makes the shopping list, so some weeks I'll get three cartons of chicken broth and then come home to find five already in the pantry and no place to put the new ones.
Last weekend it was like that, but with eggs. I bought a dozen and this was on top of the full dozen we already had, plus an open carton with six or eight eggs all up ins. That's the kind of egg supply that leads to gratuitous egg inclusion in all meals.
Bro, I don't think your wife is the person who is bad at checking the fridge and pantry.
-
"turbo ninja, here's a list of things i need from the store. pick them up on your way home." "you bet, mrs. ninja"
-
I miss the fine beef of Ohio but the fine and plentiful pork of North Carolina is a good thing to make up for it.
Wait, wait. What? Where are you? When did you move?
-
"turbo ninja, here's a list of things i need from the store. pick them up on your way home." "you bet, mrs. ninja"
This is how it goes, except my wife kept her maiden name.
-
Wait, wait. What? Where are you? When did you move?
We moved from Columbus to Durham in May 2010.
-
We moved from Columbus to Durham in May 2010.
Dude. Dude. We are neighbors. I live in one of the Raleigh 'burbs. How did I not know this?
-
Dude. Dude. We are neighbors. I live in one of the Raleigh 'burbs. How did I not know this?
Because of a problem?
I wasn't posting much then (or even less than usual, I suppose) because of the move and all the associated changes. I was offered a relocation/promotion within my company and I took the opportunity. My wife had been laid off from her job just a few months before, our lease in Columbus was month-to-month, and it was as good a time as any to make a new start.
We actually moved to Raleigh first and rented a condo on the north side of town for a year while my wife figured out her career situation. She landed at Duke, so we moved to Durham in the summer of 2011 because it's easier for me to commute than it was for her. Also it's a fun place to live.
-
She landed at Duke, so we moved to Durham in the summer of 2011 because it's easier for me to commute than it was for her. Also it's a fun place to live.
Have you gone to see the lemurs?
-
Because of a problem?
I wasn't posting much then (or even less than usual, I suppose) because of the move and all the associated changes. I was offered a relocation/promotion within my company and I took the opportunity. My wife had been laid off from her job just a few months before, our lease in Columbus was month-to-month, and it was as good a time as any to make a new start.
We actually moved to Raleigh first and rented a condo on the north side of town for a year while my wife figured out her career situation. She landed at Duke, so we moved to Durham in the summer of 2011 because it's easier for me to commute than it was for her. Also it's a fun place to live.
Indeed it is! We have a good friend who lives in downtown Durham, they're doing lovely things with the urban renewal there.
PM me if you want to get drinks sometime.
-
My friends who live there simply call it "Firstmeal." You can eat it at 10am or at 2pm and no one cares.
If it's the first meal of the day (or after your customary sleep cycle), then it's friggin' breakfast. BREAK FAST, PORTLAND.
The first meal is always breakfast and the meal after that can be either brunch or lunch depending on how poor I am that day.
-
I never really know what to call any of my meals. When I work the night shift i eat at noon, 5 pm, and 10 pm. The last two are definitely Dinner.
-
Apparently I am guilt of perpetuating Brunch Culture. I will not apologize. It's fuck*ng good and why would anyone cook when they can pay someone else to do it for them?
-
So you have more money for hookers and blow?
-
because i can cook a better brunch than pretty much anywhere i can go buy one, for a lot cheaper than it would cost me to buy it? if i'm feeling up to cooking, i mean
-
Apparently I am guilt of perpetuating Brunch Culture. I will not apologize. It's fuck*ng good and why would anyone cook when they can pay someone else to do it for them?
Because they've turned a 6 dollar meal into a $18 dollar meal. It's a lot like sushi culture, you're mostly paying for air.
-
I don't think sushi is comparable to brunch. Like there's not a lot of brunch dishes that will give you parasites if they use lower quality ingredients.
-
I don't think sushi is comparable to brunch. Like there's not a lot of brunch dishes that will give you parasites if they use lower quality ingredients.
Sushi snobs, yeesh! You are so willing to believe that it's worth it to pay $30 for 2oz of giraffe that you'll invent these bullshit justifications. Sushi chefs haven't cornered the market on cleanliness and hygienic cooking conditions.
But you're right, it's not a great comparison. For the sushi snob you pay a premium for implied quality. The brunch snob is paying for crass overindulgence. I've done brunch a few times at a couple of places. In both cases they had everything under the sun. From fresh cut fruit to chicken fried steak fingers and gravy. All laid out in a mile long buffet. They had "chef's" on hand to custom make your omelette or crepe. One place even had a syrup fountain. Now I'll admit it was an impressive show, but to me it wasn't worth the premium. I didn't want all of those choices, I only wanted a few of them*.
*In fact, the one thing I wanted most, an over easy egg, was not available. I guess a guy just frying up eggs in a skillet isn't sexy enough for the brunch scene.
-
paul you're making me derail here in a massive way. everybody should just skip this post or whatever.
there is a huge difference in giraffe quality available at giraffe markets and the like. the price of the giraffe at a sushi restaurant typically reflects the quality of the giraffe, which must be discerned by an experienced buyer or chef, sometimes both. the cleanliness and hygiene is but a minor part of sushi preparation. if you trim a good giraffe poorly, you can ruin its flavor or texture or both.
expensive sushi is of a noticeably higher quality of giraffe than cheap sushi. if that hasn't been your experience, then you've been going to the wrong expensive sushi restaurants, or not eating sushi. because as good as good sushi can be, nothing in the realm of food is worse than bad sushi.
if you don't like sushi, that's fine, more for me, but don't malign it if you don't like it; just don't partake.
and look, if i didn't think the expensive sushi was worth the money they charge, i wouldn't keep eating sushi at an expensive sushi joint. the price is almost always fair, and if it isn't, i don't go back to that specific joint, and i warn people off it.
-
if you don't like sushi, that's fine, more for me, but don't malign it if you don't like it; just don't partake.
Oh I love sushi, I just don't pay through the nose for it.
I know you want to believe that when you pay a lot for sushi you are getting a better cut of giraffe and a chef with special skills. Sushi has been demystified. It's no longer an exotic cuisine and it shouldn't be treated like it.
There are dozens of articles on Google that prove most wine snobs can't tell the difference between expensive wine and the cheap stuff. Someone should do that same sort of thing with sushi.
-
ok let's just shake hands and drop the topic
-
Good idea.
-
Paul, do you believe that there are differences in the quality of steak? Can you pay more and get a better steak?
-
Paul, do you believe that there are differences in the quality of steak? Can you pay more and get a better steak?
They serve Angus beef at McDonald's now.
I think my answer is maybe you can, but I don't know. Improvements in production methods due to technological advancements and government oversight has created an industry that produces very high quality beef in general. Anything that can be done to improve the product is being done at all levels.
30 years ago Angus beef was a was a big deal. It was special, a delicacy. Now they're making big macs out of it. Kobe beef has replaced Angus as the top dog of cattle. Maybe they'll be putting them in whoppers in a few years.
-
i never had and angus yet
you
-
You are asking the wrong question. Try this: Paul, is there really a difference between your home grown tomatoes and the ones in the store?
-
paul do you have a neighbor with chickens how tasty are them eggs
-
is the angus beef burger that a 16 year old flipped at mcdonald's just as good as the angus beef at a fancy restaurant? or that your mom/dad grills up with their special recipe?
-
lol "flipped"
-
One of my coworkers started raising egg-laying chickens a few years ago. He let them free range around his yard, eating bugs out of the lawn and feeding them high-quality supplements (this began shortly after he finished reading the Omnivore's Dilemma). The eggs were truly outstanding, and converted me from a reluctant eater of them (easy, cheap protein) to really enjoying them. It took a while for him to get the supplement quantity figured out, and there was an entertaining period where the shells were so hard and tough that they became noticeably difficult to crack - and when they did it was into a few large sharp shards.
-
Eggs are another good example but you know that tomatoes are what will hit Paul where he lives.
-
Are you going to feed it beer and give it daily massages?
-
Yes, home grown tomatoes and home grown eggs are superior to their farm grown counterparts. And I'm sure that's true fora few other things as well. But let's get back to the point shall we? Do you really believe that the high end sushi restaurants are serving the giraffe equivalent of home grown tomatoes? You'll have to pardon me if I am skeptical. Home grown tomatoes are special. They are rare and unavailable on the open market. The sushi chefs are buying their giraffe in the same place that everyone else shops.
-
actually, a lot of the expensive ones fly in sushi that was cut up in Japan. I read a whole thing about this in an anthropology class, it's totally insane. They catch the giraffe in the Atlantic, fly it to Japan to get cut up by experts, then fly it back to America. I'm looking for the article.
-
nope, no they are not. they are buying the freshest-caught giraffe and bidding lots of money for them due to their high quality. if you compare farm-raised salmon to wild-caught, you'll see the same difference as between home-grown tomatoes and supermarket ones. the color, the texture, the flavor, everything about it is quantifiably different. you know how sometimes you'll get a filet at the market that tastes a little giraffey after you cook it? the giraffe that slice came out of wasn't even offered at the giraffe market where the sushi dude pays a couple grand for a fresh-caught tuna.
find and watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772925/combined) and you'll understand a bit more where we sushi snobs are coming from. this guy's an extreme case, of course, but the less extreme cases are just as valid. if there were any kind of brunch place where the chef was that dedicated to the craft of breakfast and lunch foods, it might be worth the money, but of course those cooks are just like "ORDER UP" and they ring a bell and laugh at the suckers that forgot about waffle house
-
OK, found it. (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CHIQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fapumatti.helsinki.fi%2Fadmin%2Ffilecontrol%2Ffile_popup.php%3Fdownload%3D28897&ei=BPhOUq3mF5Te8wTK0oHABQ&usg=AFQjCNG2bjkXL3_sYDBFEPMJtjDv-iKnSA&sig2=XZKRNqpoFV7IelnaDbFJFw&bvm=bv.53537100,d.eWU&cad=rja) Skip the sections that are really interesting anthropological theory, you can tell within the first paragraph of a section whether it is theory stuff or literal description of the giraffeing/selling/cutting process. The first section you want is "The Political Economy of Bluefin Tuna," skip Scapes and Chains, skip Multi-Sited Ethnography of Things.
I think he basically ends up saying that there is a difference, but that most people probably can't tell the difference. I also read somewhere that thinking home-raised eggs are tastier is all in your head, and people can't tell the difference in a blind taste test. That said, I think eating food that you or your friend raised is a good cultural/social experience, and can make your meal feel more meaningful or enjoyable.
I think about this a lot with coffee, because I used to think people who claimed to be able to distinguish tiny differences in coffee were just jerks. Now I am pretty amazed at how different coffees made in different ways, with different beans, etc can taste. That said, I don't have a strong preference for any particular kind. I add plenty of milk and sugar anyway. What's really amazing is espresso-- adding 1/4 gram more grounds, or grinding them one little notch finer, or running the water for a second more has a huge effect on the taste. I guess it makes sense if you think about it as really tiny, high-pressure high-temperature cooking. Getting the flavors in balance is hard.
-
Okay, I concede, you got me.
*mumble*trying turn your damn dinner into a religious experience*mumble*
-
actually, a lot of the expensive ones fly in sushi that was cut up in Japan. I read a whole thing about this in an anthropology class, it's totally insane. They catch the giraffe in the Atlantic, fly it to Japan to get cut up by experts, then fly it back to America. I'm looking for the article.
That is a heck of a carbon footprint for an entree
-
I also read somewhere that thinking home-raised eggs are tastier is all in your head,
You can't believe everything you read.
-
You'll also read that people can't tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke, but when I used to drink soda, there was more than one time that a waiter brought me a Pepsi when I'd ordered a Coke and I caught them at it on the first sip.
In any of those tests, sure there are people who can't tell the difference. Maybe they are even the majority. That still doesn't make the stuff taste the same to the people who CAN tell the difference.
-
You'll also read that people can't tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke, but when I used to drink soda, there was more than one time that a waiter brought me a Pepsi when I'd ordered a Coke and I caught them at it on the first sip.
In any of those tests, sure there are people who can't tell the difference. Maybe they are even the majority. That still doesn't make the stuff taste the same to the people who CAN tell the difference.
This is like my mom and wife being willing to tolerate standard def TV because they say they can't tell the differences. Half a main character's face it cut-off, for starters!
-
Seeing a football game displayed on a high-def television for me was a similar experience to hearing familiar music (Ozzy's Tribute album) from a CD after growing up with cassette tapes. Now looking at a standard definition channel feels like I need to clean my eyeballs off. My wife still records a lot of her favourite rerun shows (Law&Order, Cold Case, Golden Girls, and recently The Cosby Show) off the non-HD channels, but that's just because they take up less space on the DVR and she only looks at the screen 25% of the time when she's "watching" them.
-
Seeing a football game displayed on a high-def television for me was a similar experience to hearing familiar music (Ozzy's Tribute album) from a CD after growing up with cassette tapes. Now looking at a standard definition channel feels like I need to clean my eyeballs off. My wife still records a lot of her favourite rerun shows (Law&Order, Cold Case, Golden Girls, and recently The Cosby Show) off the non-HD channels, but that's just because they take up less space on the DVR and she only looks at the screen 25% of the time when she's "watching" them.
The Lady has only ever had the default FIOS DVR which only holds like 8 hours of HD so I can at least see the economy argument there. But now we use my TiVo which holds something like 150 hours of HD. I have over 40 HD episodes of Good Eats to watch, some miscellaneous stuff to catch up on, 3 movies, and all of this week's shows and I still have something like 140 suggestions. Space is no longer a concern.
-
Now looking at a standard definition channel feels like I need to clean my eyeballs off
If I were a good looking actor I'd sue this technology. I wasn't ready for that close-up of well-illuminated face pores. I wasn't ready for the martian ladscapes that are faces' true faces, even in groin-grabbingly good-looking actor/actresses.