The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Choop on September 22, 2013, 07:01:31 pm
-
when you have a cold, or are recuperating from a procedure, what do you like to eat to ease the path back to health? i like onion soup and saltines, hold the cheese.
a neighbor of mine had surgery on his shoulder to remove some bone spurs inside the joint, and he knew ahead of time that he'd be basically sleeping because drugs for two straight days, and then he'd want to eat some noodles. that's all he said, noodles. so i whipped up a recipe that he and i and (http://ylilauta.org/img/flags_normal/kz.png) MY WIFE (http://ylilauta.org/img/flags_normal/kz.png) really enjoyed.
six chicken thighs
two large cans of chicken stock
one regular box of spaghetti
two stalks of celery
two carrots
one onion
garlic powder
ground cayenne or other chile (not chili powder)
salt
pepper
season the chicken thighs with the spices and grill until slightly undercooked.
clean the celery, peel the onion and carrot. chop the onion in two.
put the stock in a pot with the vegetables and thighs and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and remove the chicken.
pull the chicken off the bones and add the meat back in.
remove the vegetables and add the noodles. cook until al dente, about 15 minutes - you're not boiling the pasta.
the spaghetti absorbs almost all of the broth, so you're left with a really tasty noodle dish with bits of chicken that just get wound up inside each bite as you twirl. perfect eating for a bowl, a fork, and a blanket on the couch.
what do you make and how do you make it? what do you want and how is it made? now that fall's here it's about time for people to start getting sick again, so let's beat it all to the punch with some food
-
I don't eat special shit, but 7-up like a mother fuck. That is the only time I ever drink that, but I think I always will because of childhood.
-
Ginger tea. Actually I also drink it every night when the weather is cold, but cold weather is basically the same as being sick.
-
Cold weather foods, eh? I like this veggie "chili" I make. I got the recipe from my mom and it is also in a Kerouac book, though I think those things are separate. 4 cans black beans, I can tomato paste, I can tomato pieces or whatever they are called, a big onion, tons of garlic, 2 habaneros, 1 can of corn and 1 big thing of veggie broth. Just mix, boil for a bit and eat. Oh, and also two potatoes peeled and cut and however much cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper you want. A ton of cholula to taste at end too. I know you aren't supposed to eat canned tomatoes, but well. Also, obviously better with real beans, but well...
Separately- my roommate and I went through a normal sized cholula in 2 meals! First was just me eating a chipotle burrito, second was both of us eating fake tofu eggs and fried potatoes. I was high at the store, just being like do I want to buy the $7 cholula or the $4 one for at least 5 minutes. Went for the $4 one- mistake.
-
My three great talents, in order:
Arcade basketball- I can make like 30 in a row and am usually putting up 2 shots per second. I have records at two Denver bars. One bar gives free drinks for anything over 425-I have never gotten under 450.
Chugging beer- I am so good at this. No one has ever beat me. In high school we would go to frat parties at the local university. I was 16 beating like 22 year old frat boys at chugging. I can just open my throat and pour it in? So it is literally like as quick as beer comes out of a pint glass at like a 60 degree angle.
Eating hot sauce- never been in a competition, but can easily eat an entire bottle if have a chipotle burrito or something else conducive to hot sauce. The only "meal" I have every day is dinner, rest is just fruit and shit, but I use it probably 95% of dinners. My love of hot sauce started after going vegan, I feel like this is somewhat common among vegans I know.
Oh, also, I do not drink, just had to point that out after first two "skills"
Also, the things I actually care about- playing music and talking to girls randomly- I am decent but not great at those things, so I am not bragging here.
-
my wife just made me her moms chicken and dumplings a few days ago when i was hella sick. classic for a reason. all the comforts and calm yet exciting flavors you need when your body hates you.
-
Chugging beer- I am so good at this. No one has ever beat me. In high school we would go to frat parties at the local university. I was 16 beating like 22 year old frat boys at chugging. I can just open my throat and pour it in? So it is literally like as quick as beer comes out of a pint glass at like a 60 degree angle.
I can do this too. Or, I assume I still can -- it's been a few years since I chugged anything. Yeah, you sort of just open up the gates and pour it right down, no swallowing required.
-
Guys the topic is what to eat and drink when you are sick, not what to eat and drink to make you sick.
-
Ginger tea. Actually I also drink it every night when the weather is cold, but cold weather is basically the same as being sick.
Yes. This and pho whenever I have a sore throat.
-
When I am sick for some strange odd reason I crave warm sprite.
-
This chicken chili verde (http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/09/chicken-chili-verde-915-recipe-114.html), and a chicken soup that is pretty similar to yours, but with parsley and potatoes instead of noodles. I like noodles too, though.
-
whoa potatoes and parsley? like, how? because that sounds appealing
-
hmm. The potatoes are in 1-inch cubes and I kind of mush them up sometimes. The parsley is in this form: (http://www.mydorot.com/_Uploads/dbsArticles/_cut/F0_0769_0469_all_bazal.jpg)
I add, I think, 3-5 cubes?
I realize now that "parsley and potatoes instead of noodles" should have had a comma. "with parsley, and potatoes instead of noodles."
-
Grilled cheese and tomato soup. I've got a system where I can put this together in under 2 minutes.
When I am sick for some strange odd reason I crave warm sprite.
That's disgusting.
-
I know, right?
-
Makes me a little ill just contemplating it.
-
My mom served warm flat Sprite as a thing when I was sick. I have no idea why.
I lived on ginger tea when dealing with unending morning sickness. It was the only thing that made life manageable.
As for having a cold, I often find my sense of taste is so altered that eating isn't appealing. Also, I don't like soup and someone here previously recommended Pho with when sick, so I tried that at one point and just about hurled, no doubt being unable to tase was part of the problem, and not liking soup was the other part of the problem, and the amount of mucus flow was likely also a big part of the problem. Regardless, I definitely don't like Pho, though I later discovered the same place serves some fine Banh Mi. So yum.
-
My mom's sick drink was flat 7Up. I think it was often warm just because leaving it out made it go flat faster
-
I am a little under the weather, and tonight I am going to a special mystery Korean dinner. My favorite Korean place is going out of business and somehow it got set up that a bunch of my friends and I are going and getting a fancy multi-course meal of all the chef's favorite dishes. Awesome. Not sure if this is feel-better food or if I am in for a night of strange foods that hurt my stomach.
-
When I have a cold or similar I find a can's worth of cool (not cold) Dr. Pepper with half a lime squeezed in is fantastic.
-
When I'm ill I crave a coke slurpee to bring down the feverish feels. Or I'll make a grilled cheese sammich (made in a toaster oven, not on the stove) with slices of pepperoni in the middle and some tomato soup. I chop up the toasted cheese sammich into cruton sized chunks and put it in the soup. This saves me the hassle of dunking and means one less plate to clean up. Efficiency, people.
-
What kind of cheese do you use, this is important. Generally for grilled cheeses I use those gross milk+chemicals "sandwich slices." I know it's an affront to food, but they melt so well in the 2-3 minutes they're on the skillet. For anything else I'd rather actual cheddar.
Anyway, pepperoni with sandwich slices sounds kinda gross, but with like some mozzarella-type could actually be decent.
-
The key to successful pepperoni inclusion is browning them in the skillet first. In my experience.
-
The key to successful pepperoni inclusion is browning them in the skillet first. In my experience.
The idea is to avoid the skillet stuff entirely. I'm sick, I want food, and I don't feel like working really hard for it or after it. I can throw this creation together in 5 minutes.
The cheese is chipotle gouda, mozzarella, provolone, or american (in that order of preference).
-
(http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/5d5a3b0c3d2f11e39c0c22000ab69875_6.jpg)
Made me feel better,.
I sometimes roll a tuna mayo and cucumber futomaki when I'm feeling down. Bahn mi will also cheer me up, but making that is a pain in the ass.
-
Ginger tea. Actually I also drink it every night when the weather is cold, but cold weather is basically the same as being sick.
Do you add anything like honey and/or lemon?
-
Nope just straight. Those are good if you have a sore throat though.