Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: feel better food  (Read 6788 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
feel better food
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »

when you have a cold, or are recuperating from a procedure, what do you like to eat to ease the path back to health? i like onion soup and saltines, hold the cheese.

a neighbor of mine had surgery on his shoulder to remove some bone spurs inside the joint, and he knew ahead of time that he'd be basically sleeping because drugs for two straight days, and then he'd want to eat some noodles. that's all he said, noodles. so i whipped up a recipe that he and i and MY WIFE really enjoyed.

six chicken thighs
two large cans of chicken stock
one regular box of spaghetti
two stalks of celery
two carrots
one onion
garlic powder
ground cayenne or other chile (not chili powder)
salt
pepper

season the chicken thighs with the spices and grill until slightly undercooked.
clean the celery, peel the onion and carrot. chop the onion in two.
put the stock in a pot with the vegetables and thighs and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and remove the chicken.
pull the chicken off the bones and add the meat back in.
remove the vegetables and add the noodles. cook until al dente, about 15 minutes - you're not boiling the pasta.

the spaghetti absorbs almost all of the broth, so you're left with a really tasty noodle dish with bits of chicken that just get wound up inside each bite as you twirl. perfect eating for a bowl, a fork, and a blanket on the couch.


what do you make and how do you make it? what do you want and how is it made? now that fall's here it's about time for people to start getting sick again, so let's beat it all to the punch with some food
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:02:53 pm »

I don't eat special shit, but 7-up like a mother fuck.  That is the only time I ever drink that, but I think I always will because of childhood.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

Ginger tea. Actually I also drink it every night when the weather is cold, but cold weather is basically the same as being sick.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:00 pm »

Cold weather foods, eh?  I like this veggie "chili" I make.  I got the recipe from my mom and it is also in a Kerouac book, though I think those things are separate.  4 cans black beans, I can tomato paste, I can tomato pieces or whatever they are called, a big onion, tons of garlic, 2 habaneros, 1 can of corn and 1 big thing of veggie broth.  Just mix, boil for a bit and eat.   Oh, and also two potatoes peeled and cut and however much cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper you want.  A ton of cholula to taste at end too.  I know you aren't supposed to eat canned tomatoes, but well.  Also, obviously better with real beans, but well...

Separately- my roommate and I went through a normal sized cholula in 2 meals!  First was just me eating a chipotle burrito, second was both of us eating fake tofu eggs and fried potatoes.  I was high at the store, just being like do I want to buy the $7 cholula or the $4 one for at least 5 minutes.  Went for the $4 one- mistake.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:40:55 pm »

My three great talents, in order:

Arcade basketball- I can make like 30 in a row and am usually putting up 2 shots per second.  I have records at two Denver bars.  One bar gives free drinks for anything over 425-I have never gotten under 450.

Chugging beer- I am so good at this.  No one has ever beat me.  In high school we would go to frat parties at the local university.  I was 16 beating like 22 year old frat boys at chugging.  I can just open my throat and pour it in?  So it is literally like as quick as beer comes out of a pint glass at like a 60 degree angle.

Eating hot sauce- never been in a competition, but can easily eat an entire bottle if have a chipotle burrito or something else conducive to hot sauce.  The only "meal" I have every day is dinner, rest is just fruit and shit, but I use it probably 95% of dinners.  My love of hot sauce started after going vegan, I feel like this is somewhat common among vegans I know.

Oh, also, I do not drink, just had to point that out after first two "skills"

Also, the things I actually care about- playing music and talking to girls randomly- I am decent but not great at those things, so I am not bragging here.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: feel better food
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 11:13:00 pm »

my wife just made me her moms chicken and dumplings a few days ago when i was hella sick.  classic for a reason.  all the comforts and calm yet exciting flavors you need when your body hates you.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 02:28:03 am »

Chugging beer- I am so good at this.  No one has ever beat me.  In high school we would go to frat parties at the local university.  I was 16 beating like 22 year old frat boys at chugging.  I can just open my throat and pour it in?  So it is literally like as quick as beer comes out of a pint glass at like a 60 degree angle.


I can do this too.  Or, I assume I still can -- it's been a few years since I chugged anything.  Yeah, you sort of just open up the gates and pour it right down, no swallowing required.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 02:42:05 am »

Guys the topic is what to eat and drink when you are sick, not what to eat and drink to make you sick.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: feel better food
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:41:31 am »

Ginger tea. Actually I also drink it every night when the weather is cold, but cold weather is basically the same as being sick.

Yes. This and pho whenever I have a sore throat.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:48 am »

When I am sick for some strange odd reason I crave warm sprite.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: feel better food
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:29:54 am »

This chicken chili verde, and a chicken soup that is pretty similar to yours, but with parsley and potatoes instead of noodles. I like noodles too, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »

whoa potatoes and parsley? like, how? because that sounds appealing
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: feel better food
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 04:51:50 pm »

hmm. The potatoes are in 1-inch cubes and I kind of mush them up sometimes. The parsley is in this form:
I add, I think, 3-5 cubes?

I realize now that "parsley and potatoes instead of noodles" should have had a comma. "with parsley, and potatoes instead of noodles."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:41:48 am »

Grilled cheese and tomato soup. I've got a system where I can put this together in under 2 minutes.
When I am sick for some strange odd reason I crave warm sprite.
That's disgusting.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »

I know, right?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up