The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2013, 04:35:37 pm

Title: Bill Deblasio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2013, 04:35:37 pm
I don't know how much coverage this guy gets outside the NYC metro market, but basically he is the first Democractic mayor of NYC in memory. A lot of people in the facebookosphere throw around the word socialist when describing Obama and the democractic party in general. Bill Deblasio is the closest thing to a Socialist I've ever seen since that senator in NY. Never before have I seen a politician explicitly state his policy as "tax the rich to fund the poor". The ten foot tall man married to a lesbian with interracial kids has big ideas for how NYC will be a kinder gentler place.
I'm unopposed to Mr.Deblasio but I wonder how his strategy will play out. Mike Bloomberg ran this thing like a business and got things done. His stop and frisk stuff was misguided and when he told us to go build snowmen during the blizzard was an ass move, but his managerial skills were on point.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2013, 04:48:48 pm
(https://24.media.tumblr.com/8779339ed9081029186b3168c0ff68d1/tumblr_mwy0zdS1K21s6nspeo1_500.gif)
Yeah I was hoping you'd weigh in. Please. Go on...
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: pmcd9 on December 05, 2013, 04:57:30 pm
Here's what I know about the guy. When I saw the thread title I thought that you had misspelled Ted DiBiase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_DiBiase).
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: dejavroom on December 05, 2013, 05:08:28 pm
If he doesn't run the economy into the ground it will be a first for a Socialist.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2013, 05:16:29 pm
If he doesn't run the economy into the ground it will be a first for a Socialist.
Alienating "wall street" is a hard fiscal policy. The 1%ers he's attacking are an easy target, but they've got an army of lawyers and accountants to deal with whatever nonsense he comes up with.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2013, 05:20:28 pm
(http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/9446/1751754-ted_dibiase.jpg)

I'd vote that.


Oh hell yeah.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: theinevitable on December 05, 2013, 06:32:29 pm
I hope he does a good job. I would like that.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 05, 2013, 06:46:23 pm
Am I correct to assume, though, that anti Wall St. sentiment within NYC is at a pretty historic high?

Because if that's the case, and dude doesn't fuck up...

That being said though (and this is not intended to be smug—we've each got our fair share of national problems), much of what certain pockets of Americans call "socialist," we in Canada would consider pretty damn conservative indeed—except good ol' flat-taxing, oil-sucking Alberta—so perhaps my take on the gravity of his policy is skewed.

But Bill doesn't seem like the 'radical' type, really. I hope he does well, and opens doors for similar platforms above the municipal level.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2013, 07:17:21 pm
Am I correct to assume, though, that anti Wall St. sentiment within NYC is at a pretty historic high?
Maybe in 2008. Meanwhile most of us realized that we needed banks to fund our homes and business.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2013, 07:53:47 pm
Maybe in 2008. Meanwhile most of us realized that we needed banks to fund our homes and business.

I don't think there was ever a question over whether a functioning modern society needs some form of banking system.  I think the continuing sentiment out there is that bankers pay themselves disproportionately well for the value of their services, bear no (or disproportionately small) consequences for their mis- or mal- feasances, and have a dangerously inappropriate amount of influence over our political system.
Title: Re: Bill Deblasio
Post by: dejavroom on December 05, 2013, 08:04:37 pm
I will be watching this thread...