Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bill Deblasio  (Read 3394 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Bill Deblasio
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »

I don't know how much coverage this guy gets outside the NYC metro market, but basically he is the first Democractic mayor of NYC in memory. A lot of people in the facebookosphere throw around the word socialist when describing Obama and the democractic party in general. Bill Deblasio is the closest thing to a Socialist I've ever seen since that senator in NY. Never before have I seen a politician explicitly state his policy as "tax the rich to fund the poor". The ten foot tall man married to a lesbian with interracial kids has big ideas for how NYC will be a kinder gentler place.
I'm unopposed to Mr.Deblasio but I wonder how his strategy will play out. Mike Bloomberg ran this thing like a business and got things done. His stop and frisk stuff was misguided and when he told us to go build snowmen during the blizzard was an ass move, but his managerial skills were on point.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »


Yeah I was hoping you'd weigh in. Please. Go on...
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »

Here's what I know about the guy. When I saw the thread title I thought that you had misspelled Ted DiBiase.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »

If he doesn't run the economy into the ground it will be a first for a Socialist.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:16:29 pm »

If he doesn't run the economy into the ground it will be a first for a Socialist.
Alienating "wall street" is a hard fiscal policy. The 1%ers he's attacking are an easy target, but they've got an army of lawyers and accountants to deal with whatever nonsense he comes up with.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:20:28 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:32:29 pm »

I hope he does a good job. I would like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:46:23 pm »

Am I correct to assume, though, that anti Wall St. sentiment within NYC is at a pretty historic high?

Because if that's the case, and dude doesn't fuck up...

That being said though (and this is not intended to be smug—we've each got our fair share of national problems), much of what certain pockets of Americans call "socialist," we in Canada would consider pretty damn conservative indeed—except good ol' flat-taxing, oil-sucking Alberta—so perhaps my take on the gravity of his policy is skewed.

But Bill doesn't seem like the 'radical' type, really. I hope he does well, and opens doors for similar platforms above the municipal level.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »

Am I correct to assume, though, that anti Wall St. sentiment within NYC is at a pretty historic high?
Maybe in 2008. Meanwhile most of us realized that we needed banks to fund our homes and business.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »

Maybe in 2008. Meanwhile most of us realized that we needed banks to fund our homes and business.

I don't think there was ever a question over whether a functioning modern society needs some form of banking system.  I think the continuing sentiment out there is that bankers pay themselves disproportionately well for the value of their services, bear no (or disproportionately small) consequences for their mis- or mal- feasances, and have a dangerously inappropriate amount of influence over our political system.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Deblasio
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:04:37 pm »

I will be watching this thread...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up