The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: ianmalcolm2 on February 15, 2014, 04:37:23 am
-
I guess there's a new one after all (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02142014).
Your faith has been rewarded, Wombat. All the rest of us rubes should be ashamed.
I'm not sure about the quotability factor of this one, though. I kinda wish Lyle would stick to monosyllables. "PUKE is just SHIT you didn't HONOUR" was a high point.
-
I love Lyle. He's so vile and proud of it.
-
apparently, i love penny. lyle's punchline just made the strip for me, i chuckled for a solid fourteen seconds. shortly, she'll win over the elder bear, and teodor will be forever hers. shortly thereafter (within a year of strips is my bet) she'll leave him broken-hearted in the dust. the second-to-last thing achewood needs is another molly; teodor will be fine afterward: the last thing is another beef.
-
First couple of panels I was all "ooo be careful what you wish for" but it turned out fine in the end.
-
I hated this strip to hell.
-
you're a dude of words, inev. i wanna hear why. maybe it'll be 'fun'
-
I hated this strip to hell.
Me too.
-
I don't know, something about this whole arc feels like the kind of strip onstad should be making fun of. Quirky guy meets quirky girl. She says mean stuff to his shitty roommates. The shitty roommate is impressed by the fact that the quirky lady says a tough thing to him. Lemme guess, you're a cynical dyke who wants coffee and loves coffee?
-
Really don't have much to say about this one. This date is taking months. It's a funny date for sure, but I could use some short form funny at this point.
-
I don't know, something about this whole arc feels like the kind of strip onstad should be making fun of. Quirky guy meets quirky girl. She says mean stuff to his shitty roommates. The shitty roommate is impressed by the fact that the quirky lady says a tough thing to him. Lemme guess, you're a cynical dyke who wants coffee and loves coffee?
Thank you for putting into words the unease I felt about this strip.
Also is it just me or did Lyle's dialogue (first panel notwithstanding) seem pretty un-Lyle, and overly malicious even for him? It sort of reminds me of that time when Showbiz went from loser sponging relative to actively evil sexual predator.
-
I think part of the problem is that updating once a week is not such a great approach. It puts so much weight on each strip to be brilliant. And it drags the story out for so long, and not so many plots can stand up to that. This much strip spread out over four days would be better, you know?
-
yeah I kinda miss the three-panel beat, and I feel this arc is wasting a lot of time by using Penny as an audience-surrogate outside party to which the regular cast of characters can be 'reintroduced' as people I like less than I used to.
Lyle's weird underwear jokes fall flat, Cornelius' dialogue just feels wrong, Phillipe smearing spaghetti all over his face and liking Bakugan is miles away from the sorta-smart-but-misguided naiveté that fueled his newsletter, and I don't ever wanna be forced to empathize with Téodor.
And yeah, Wombat, I definitely agree that this sometimes-once-a-week ordeal is forcing all the dialogue into weird sitcom mode where every phrase has to be a joke or a too-polished nugget.
And I am now done bitching about a sad man who draws me funny cat-bears every week for no money.
-
Thank you for putting into words the unease I felt about this strip.
Ditto!
-
I have a thing where when I say something critical and people agree with it, I start feeling kind of bad. Like I was a mean guy.
Still don't like it, though.
-
you are grounded for having rude opinions!
-
Throwing in with the not-thrilled crowd on this one. It reads like how someone who'd heard about the characters but not really put much thought into it would write them.
-
havin rude opinions is like havin rude titties. don't be ashamed. unless you're like bill mayer buxom.
-
Manic pixie dream girl alert.
Though, I sort of have mixed feelings about that. I'm happy to see something work out nicely for T for once.
-
I'm just patiently waiting for him to work this storyline out of his system. It seems like it's Important to him. It's still better than no Achewood at all, but Teodor has always been the normal guy foil to all the other characters, you don't make that guy your main focus.
And I appreciate that he seems to be trying a little harder to write a woman who fits into his world, but still he is awkward at it, and her presence seems to be deteriorating the other characters.
-
And I appreciate that he seems to be trying a little harder to write a woman who fits into his world,
I hadn't thought of that. Interesting possibility. As I've always said about that alleged problem, it really doesn't bother me if he sticks to what he does best.
-
Yeah, me either really. The lack of good roles for women across all narrative media is an aggregate problem, not so much a specific problem of specific artists. If an artist is best at writing about gangs of stoner dudes, he should stick to that. Though if Onstad is reading this (he isn't) I'll pass along a tip I got from a writing teacher: if you want to come off as someone with a fresh idea about gender dynamics, just take a famous and well-regarded relationship story, something from a movie or book, and just switch the genders. Make the girl Woodie Allen or Carrie Grant or whatever. It's a cheap trick and it really works.
-
Right now I feel a little bit like I am in a (relationship? am I using that word?) where we are both woody allen.
(except not fuck*ng creeps, just neurotic and sensitive.)
-
The lack of good roles for women across all narrative media is an aggregate problem, not so much a specific problem of specific artists
An aggregate "problem", even.
-
Most post-GOF Achewood has been the sad tale of an artist who had it, but lost it. He fitfully tries to get it again, but every attempt just shows that he's lost it more and more. It's like Flowers for Algernon, starring Hemingway as Charlie.
I'm not concerned about this. The artist has been through a lot: a move; children; a divorce; a girlfriend; becoming a food critic; leaving that to become an artisinal soda monger, using only free-range syrup and grass-fed carbon dioxide. Looking from the outside, dude's bipolar as hell or trying to adjust to these Serious Life Changes and the art will suffer as a result. Either way the problem resolves itself eventually.
Telling a story you want to tell when you're out of practice is like taking a shit when you've been constipated forever. The first part is going to be dry, misshapen, awkward and painful to get out. After that it's smooth sailing. Onstad is dislodging his artistic constipation-plug as his Metamucil for the Soul finally takes effect.
Here's to one more push, buddy. We're here to wipe for you.
-
Dibs not it.
-
It took Miles Davis three years to be able to play the trumpet again after he first retired, but he eventually got it again. I'm sure Onstadt will find his groove soon.
-
It took Miles Davis three years to be able to play the trumpet again after he first retired, but he eventually got it again. I'm sure Onstadt will find his groove soon.
You've got to want to do it first. I can understand wanting to do something different, but craft soda company sounds like a cry for help.