Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus  (Read 6780 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:37:23 am »

I guess there's a new one after all.

Your faith has been rewarded, Wombat. All the rest of us rubes should be ashamed.

I'm not sure about the quotability factor of this one, though. I kinda wish Lyle would stick to monosyllables. "PUKE is just SHIT you didn't HONOUR" was a high point.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:45:57 am by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:56:26 am »

I love Lyle. He's so vile and proud of it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:57:50 am »

apparently, i love penny. lyle's punchline just made the strip for me, i chuckled for a solid fourteen seconds. shortly, she'll win over the elder bear, and teodor will be forever hers. shortly thereafter (within a year of strips is my bet) she'll leave him broken-hearted in the dust. the second-to-last thing achewood needs is another molly; teodor will be fine afterward: the last thing is another beef.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:29:35 pm »

First couple of panels I was all "ooo be careful what you wish for" but it turned out fine in the end.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:14 pm »

I hated this strip to hell.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:19:04 pm »

you're a dude of words, inev. i wanna hear why. maybe it'll be 'fun'
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:22:48 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 10:35:50 pm »

I don't know, something about this whole arc feels like the kind of strip onstad should be making fun of. Quirky guy meets quirky girl. She says mean stuff to his shitty roommates. The shitty roommate is impressed by the fact that the quirky lady says a tough thing to him. Lemme guess, you're a cynical dyke who wants coffee and loves coffee?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »

Really don't have much to say about this one.  This date is taking months.  It's a funny date for sure, but I could use some short form funny at this point.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »

I don't know, something about this whole arc feels like the kind of strip onstad should be making fun of. Quirky guy meets quirky girl. She says mean stuff to his shitty roommates. The shitty roommate is impressed by the fact that the quirky lady says a tough thing to him. Lemme guess, you're a cynical dyke who wants coffee and loves coffee?

Thank you for putting into words the unease I felt about this strip.

Also is it just me or did Lyle's dialogue (first panel notwithstanding) seem pretty un-Lyle, and overly malicious even for him?  It sort of reminds me of that time when Showbiz went from loser sponging relative to actively evil sexual predator.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 12:30:49 am »

I think part of the problem is that updating once a week is not such a great approach. It puts so much weight on each strip to be brilliant. And it drags the story out for so long, and not so many plots can stand up to that. This much strip spread out over four days would be better, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 03:37:54 am »

yeah I kinda miss the three-panel beat, and I feel this arc is wasting a lot of time by using Penny as an audience-surrogate outside party to which the regular cast of characters can be 'reintroduced' as people I like less than I used to.

Lyle's weird underwear jokes fall flat, Cornelius' dialogue just feels wrong, Phillipe smearing spaghetti all over his face and liking Bakugan is miles away from the sorta-smart-but-misguided naiveté that fueled his newsletter, and I don't ever wanna  be forced to empathize with Téodor.

And yeah, Wombat, I definitely agree that this sometimes-once-a-week ordeal is forcing all the dialogue into weird sitcom mode where every phrase has to be a joke or a too-polished nugget.

And I am now done bitching about a sad man who draws me funny cat-bears every week for no money.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 04:40:02 am »

Thank you for putting into words the unease I felt about this strip.

Ditto!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 05:15:35 am »

I have a thing where when I say something critical and people agree with it, I start feeling kind of bad. Like I was a mean guy.

Still don't like it, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:38:19 am »

you are grounded for having rude opinions!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up