The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: nDed on March 09, 2014, 12:17:46 am

Title: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: nDed on March 09, 2014, 12:17:46 am
BRB, putting down an order for a corny red Fender Strat knockoff (http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150101).
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 09, 2014, 11:33:02 am
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to live in a world without corny red fender strat knock-offs.  I am within ten feet of a paisley tele ripoff and a sunburst strat ripoff, both acquired pretty randomly (and also better guitars and basses and drums and mics and...)
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: nDed on March 09, 2014, 06:25:13 pm
No pile of gear is complete without at least couple of cheap, tasteless guitars. Ended up ordering the sunburst because it was $20 off at the time. Seriously eyeing that LP goldtop copy if the finish is good and I can fit a black pickguard on it.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: theinevitable on March 09, 2014, 09:17:48 pm
I saw the cheap guitar of my dreams in Nashville and I wish I had it, even though I am severely trying to downsize my collection of material objects. But I also think if I replaced the pickups and re-painted my teenage guitar I could get a pretty close approximation of what I want. That'll be a fun project sometime.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2014, 03:09:25 am
I might wait for the fake Teles.  This is the fake I was thinking about getting. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-dot-electric-guitar)  At these prices, why not both?!
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: theinevitable on March 10, 2014, 03:14:42 am
My roommate has an Epiphone something, it looks similar to that but is not exactly the same, and it might be the best guitar I have played. I love it. The first time I picked it up and strummed it I think I gasped. I want that guitar.

He also has a ripoff stratocaster that he hand-painted paisley when he was 14 or 15. I love that guitar and that story.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: nDed on March 10, 2014, 03:50:55 am
Isn't Epiphone just Gibson's official budget line? Not sure if I would consider them fake.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 10, 2014, 07:31:40 am
I love those big hollow body guitars and if I ever get rich I am buying this first:
 
https://m.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g5420t-electromatic-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Every guitar player I trust hates hollow bodies, but I used to have a friend with one and loved to play it.  I never even plugged it in.

Oh, he had the ibanez version.  Doesn't matter, I'm still getting that gretsch sometime.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2014, 02:30:14 pm
When I was in college, one of my roommates had a Mosrite sort of like this (http://www.figaroguitars.com/guitars23/mosrite%2066%20combo%20001.jpg).  It was great fun to play.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2014, 07:01:28 pm
Every guitar player I trust hates hollow bodies, but I used to have a friend with one and loved to play it.  I never even plugged it in.

Ted Nugent, BB King and Chet Atkins all play hollow bodies. Discuss!

I saw The National use a hollow body guitar in an unusual way (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-national-i-need-my-girl/2755304) on Saturday Night.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: nDed on March 10, 2014, 10:05:58 pm
Only reason I'm not that into hollow bodies is because replacing anything on them is a pain in the ass.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: dejavroom on March 11, 2014, 12:36:13 pm
No pile of gear is complete without at least couple of cheap, tasteless guitars.

There's truth in this. I could love a knockoff Tele.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: nDed on March 13, 2014, 07:50:17 pm
Fake Strat came in yesterday and I think it's pretty nice. Good sound and excellent finish with everything nicely set up too. Came packed in a flimsy looking gig bag along with a whammy bar, a truss rod wrench and another for the tiny bridge screws. I've paid considerably more for worse guitars, so I'm quite happy with it.
Title: Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
Post by: nDed on March 21, 2014, 07:05:20 am
Ended up getting that goldtop. Not as slavishly accurate to the original as the strat copy, but it's a right handsome guitar nonetheless. Pickup rings are kind of crummy, but I'll be changing those out soon enough.

(http://i.imgur.com/UPNF7tz.jpg)

Body's a bit different as is the knob placement. Pretty sure the body's all one material, but they painted faux binding on the edges anyway; sort of a dark orange on the back. Looks like it'll take standard parts, so it could be a fun project guitar.