Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason  (Read 5501 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:23:59 am by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:33:02 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to live in a world without corny red fender strat knock-offs.  I am within ten feet of a paisley tele ripoff and a sunburst strat ripoff, both acquired pretty randomly (and also better guitars and basses and drums and mics and...)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:25:13 pm »

No pile of gear is complete without at least couple of cheap, tasteless guitars. Ended up ordering the sunburst because it was $20 off at the time. Seriously eyeing that LP goldtop copy if the finish is good and I can fit a black pickguard on it.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »

I saw the cheap guitar of my dreams in Nashville and I wish I had it, even though I am severely trying to downsize my collection of material objects. But I also think if I replaced the pickups and re-painted my teenage guitar I could get a pretty close approximation of what I want. That'll be a fun project sometime.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 03:09:25 am »

I might wait for the fake Teles.  This is the fake I was thinking about getting.  At these prices, why not both?!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:14:42 am »

My roommate has an Epiphone something, it looks similar to that but is not exactly the same, and it might be the best guitar I have played. I love it. The first time I picked it up and strummed it I think I gasped. I want that guitar.

He also has a ripoff stratocaster that he hand-painted paisley when he was 14 or 15. I love that guitar and that story.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 03:50:55 am »

Isn't Epiphone just Gibson's official budget line? Not sure if I would consider them fake.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:40 am »

I love those big hollow body guitars and if I ever get rich I am buying this first:
 
https://m.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g5420t-electromatic-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Every guitar player I trust hates hollow bodies, but I used to have a friend with one and loved to play it.  I never even plugged it in.

Oh, he had the ibanez version.  Doesn't matter, I'm still getting that gretsch sometime.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »

When I was in college, one of my roommates had a Mosrite sort of like this.  It was great fun to play.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:28 pm »

Every guitar player I trust hates hollow bodies, but I used to have a friend with one and loved to play it.  I never even plugged it in.

Ted Nugent, BB King and Chet Atkins all play hollow bodies. Discuss!

I saw The National use a hollow body guitar in an unusual way on Saturday Night.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05:58 pm »

Only reason I'm not that into hollow bodies is because replacing anything on them is a pain in the ass.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »

No pile of gear is complete without at least couple of cheap, tasteless guitars.

There's truth in this. I could love a knockoff Tele.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:17 pm »

Fake Strat came in yesterday and I think it's pretty nice. Good sound and excellent finish with everything nicely set up too. Came packed in a flimsy looking gig bag along with a whammy bar, a truss rod wrench and another for the tiny bridge screws. I've paid considerably more for worse guitars, so I'm quite happy with it.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Monoprice now sells guitars for some reason
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:05:20 am »

Ended up getting that goldtop. Not as slavishly accurate to the original as the strat copy, but it's a right handsome guitar nonetheless. Pickup rings are kind of crummy, but I'll be changing those out soon enough.



Body's a bit different as is the knob placement. Pretty sure the body's all one material, but they painted faux binding on the edges anyway; sort of a dark orange on the back. Looks like it'll take standard parts, so it could be a fun project guitar.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:13:43 am by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up