The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2014, 05:36:02 pm

Title: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2014, 05:36:02 pm
And it's going to Suck (http://And it's going to Suck)! Actually, that clip looks pretty fun, but there's not enough information to make any assumptions on what the movie is going to be like. But seriously, what are the chances it's not going to suck? I hope I'm wrong because I do indeed love Peanuts.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: Choop on March 18, 2014, 05:53:47 pm
fixed the topic, i mean it was right there

but i think the link is beyond repair
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2014, 06:59:20 pm
Overcommercializing the Peanuts gang?  Like that would ever happen.

Rats.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: Choop on March 18, 2014, 08:22:15 pm
found a link: http://www.avclub.com/article/youre-good-cgi-rendered-man-charlie-brown-peanuts--202318
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 18, 2014, 08:26:22 pm
Disney has wisely reintroduced Mickey M-O-U-S-E to younger viewers, with the Clubhouse show and with some new animated shorts in a more modern style. I think that was long overdue, as long as Mickey was still going to be the central character of their theme parks. Starting with my generation, I think a lot of people went "Wait, why do we give a shit about this Mickey character, other than you telling us to?" because they had no attachment to earlier cartoons.

Same deal here. I suspect that younger generations don't understand what's the big deal about Peanuts, and in order to keep their merchandising gravy train going they'd better get kids excited about Snoopy again.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2014, 08:35:47 pm
fixed the topic, i mean it was right there.

That was definitely an oversight on my part. Thanks for picking up my slack.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 18, 2014, 09:06:17 pm
Disney has wisely reintroduced Mickey M-O-U-S-E to younger viewers, with the Clubhouse show and with some new animated shorts in a more modern style. I think that was long overdue, as long as Mickey was still going to be the central character of their theme parks. Starting with my generation, I think a lot of people went "Wait, why do we give a shit about this Mickey character, other than you telling us to?" because they had no attachment to earlier cartoons.

Same deal here. I suspect that younger generations don't understand what's the big deal about Peanuts, and in order to keep their merchandising gravy train going they'd better get kids excited about Snoopy again.

I think that Star Wars is a scam on my generation by people who are 40-50 and saw it when they were 10. 

I mean, it's alright if your 10 I guess?
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: Choop on March 18, 2014, 09:18:55 pm
my 10 what
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2014, 09:19:57 pm
Well yeah, you guys totally got burned by Star Wars. And your children are about to get burned by Peanuts.

By the way, I was 15 when the first Star Wars movie came out and I was probably 16 or possibly 17 before I actually got to see it because it was only showing at one Theater for at least a year (http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/12541) so there was always a line out the door. My Dad took me down there twice, but we left both times when we saw the line. Eventually they released it to the rest of the city and I finally got to see it. This was at the dawn of the multiplex era. I saw the Movie at Greenspoint Mall which had an amazing 4 screens.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: wombat on March 18, 2014, 09:27:11 pm
I think that Star Wars is a scam on my generation by people who are 40-50 and saw it when they were 10. 

I mean, it's alright if your 10 I guess?

If you're ten and you've haven't seen all the movies that came after it. It was a moment in history, you know?
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 18, 2014, 11:25:59 pm
I saw the originals first...it was definitely a moment in time, I can appreciate that.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: nDed on March 20, 2014, 04:21:10 am
They're making a movie about that dog in the MetLife ads?
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: pmcd9 on November 18, 2014, 07:32:21 pm
The new trailer (http://www.peanutsmovie.com/?pk_campaign=email&pk_kwd=trailer2) for the Peanuts movie doesn't suck. In fact there's one scene that really warmed my heart. I know it's a trick to get my hopes up. I'm not going to fall for it Peanuts movie.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: wombat on November 18, 2014, 09:13:49 pm
Don't fall for it. The trailer always shows the best parts. It's all downhill from there.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: jaydub on November 18, 2014, 10:31:38 pm
I went to see Big Hero Six with the family on Veteran's Day (what?) and at one point before the movie started I felt like I was going to have to shut my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears, and loudly sing "la, la, la, la" with the spoilery 3 minute trailers for upcoming films they were showing.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: theinevitable on November 19, 2014, 02:32:00 am
How was that? It looks good/funny.

Oh man, all my little-kid cousins will be there for xmas this year! Maybe we can have a cousin movie day and go see something fun. Awesome.

(did I tell you that my youngest cousin was asked to draw his favorite place, and he said "Aunt D_____'s house, because I get to play basketball with [brother] and guitar with inev" !?!?!)

It's also almost Peanuts Christmas season. Damn, that album is the best.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: pmcd9 on November 19, 2014, 05:43:24 am
Yeah, between the Christmas show and the Christmas music, anything they do with Peanuts is gonna pale in comparison. I'm trying to keep an open mind though.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 19, 2014, 02:29:01 pm
How was that? It looks good/funny.

I'm not jaydub, but I quite enjoyed Big Hero Six. It's not high art by any stretch, but entertaining enough.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2014, 07:25:31 pm
I was kind of dreading it, but ended up enjoying it from the first frame on.  Judging by how it ended, we can all look forward to the coming franchise becoming a regular feature of our pop culture.  I really liked the setting - a fusion of anime/megalopolis with San Francisco that was unselfconsciously referred to as San Frantokyo throughout the film.  It had a super familiar feel to it, as a denizen of the area, but I can guarantee you that the real SF would fit in a neighborhood of the fantasy one.  Its a great city - but its not a great big city.
Title: Re: Good Grief, They're Making a Peanuts Movie
Post by: wombat on November 20, 2014, 12:53:31 am
It's the setting that interests me, a lot of it is apparently based very precisely on Tokyo - particular train lines and such. An American city with the Tokyo train system is basically my dream world.

Otherwise it's the sort of thing about which I would not give a fuck. I'll still wait till I can watch it at home and fast-forward through the plot if I need to.