The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 24, 2017, 06:20:00 pm

Title: What's for supper?
Post by: Asherdan on May 24, 2017, 06:20:00 pm
(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Doc on May 25, 2017, 10:24:46 am
(http://i63.tinypic.com/qyz3ev.jpg)

I tempura'd some chicken thigh then put it on a home made bun with cabbage, cheese and HP sauce.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 28, 2017, 11:48:21 pm
Unlimited pork is a pretty awesome way to go through life.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on May 29, 2017, 05:00:51 pm
I am on a major lazy streak lately of eating sausages and broccoli at best, and cheese sandwiches at worst.

My friend just graduated from A-CAP (she dropped out for a few years for health reasons and finally went back and finished) so I had her over and made a super simple tomato sauce with bucatini and some roasted broccoli. That was delicious.

Just got back from seeing my sister graduate from college in Boston, where I ate fried seafood for 4 days straight. It was good.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 30, 2017, 08:03:55 pm
Hell of such as ribs
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsczA9BKtG/?taken-by=carlosdelvaca

I also made a cuke & lope salad to go with these, it was a-very nice.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cantaloupe-and-cucumber-salad
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 31, 2017, 11:27:10 pm
Hell of such as ribs
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsczA9BKtG/?taken-by=carlosdelvaca

Man, that looks good. After you ate that could you play the trumpet with your cock?

Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 01, 2017, 03:53:48 am
Man, that looks good. After you ate that could you play the trumpet with your cock?

no we don't own a trumpet
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on July 23, 2017, 10:19:18 pm
OMG Ash I love that burger technique so much. Glad you tried it out.

I am doing way worse than I was in May when I said I was eating cheese sandwiches. These days I either eat crappy takeout or pb&js. On the plus side, this is because I am going out and doing stuff after work. Need to start having people over to cook again though. Also, uh, vegetables.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2017, 12:09:17 pm
I think the US equivalent is steak sauce.

Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2017, 09:14:47 pm
I ain't putting it on steak but I find it acceptable on such as hamburgers and sausages
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on July 25, 2017, 03:35:28 am
Whoa, it's been a MINUTE since I had steak sauce. There was this place in St Louis where they had cheap steak sandwiches. I loved that place. The kind of place where they yelled NEXT and if you didn't yell your order they'd move on to the next person. Damn.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on July 25, 2017, 05:55:32 pm
half ground Buckle,

 :'(
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2017, 03:16:12 am
Tamago kake gohan. Yum. I put rice in the rice cooker, then took a shower, got out and dumped the rice in a bowl. Added two raw eggs, sesame seeds, soy sauce, stirred like hell hopefully semi cooking the raw eggs with the heat of the rice. Shovel into mouth like the pig you are.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 27, 2017, 12:25:07 pm
Steak sauce is good on bad steaks, like at Pondersoa and Hoss's and such. Don't put it on actual good steaks though.

I had a great trip food-wise in Chicago. Hit the Chicago local specialty triumverate: Chicago dog, deep dish pizza, Italian beef sandwich. More places I wanted to eat at than I had meals available, that's for sure.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: miles on July 28, 2017, 01:05:13 pm
Steak sauce is good on bad steaks, like at Pondersoa and Hoss's and such.

Wait, Hoss's or hoss's?
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 28, 2017, 02:27:38 pm
Hoss's (not hosss) is a chain of cheapish steak houses in Pennsylvania and thereabouts. The best thing about it is the big salad bar, with soup and bread and desserts and such. It's a thing from my childhood that I acknowledge is kinda crappy but I enjoy anyway. Any time we're traveling through PA we stop at one if possible.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on August 14, 2017, 04:09:19 am
Now I am eating that rice with egg thing a lot, but doing it with brown rice. Yesterday I also fried up some mushrooms in butter as a topping. Yum.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2018, 02:16:31 am
Hoss's (not hosss) is a chain of cheapish steak houses in Pennsylvania and thereabouts. The best thing about it is the big salad bar, with soup and bread and desserts and such. It's a thing from my childhood that I acknowledge is kinda crappy but I enjoy anyway. Any time we're traveling through PA we stop at one if possible.

Kinda like Black Angus (https://youtu.be/s27F1M0u-N4)?
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 03, 2018, 01:29:31 pm
Kinda like Black Angus (https://youtu.be/s27F1M0u-N4)?

fuck yeah it is, but sadly I missed the bottomless trough of fried dough
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 21, 2018, 05:31:53 pm
mmmm...ingredients
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 21, 2018, 08:00:10 pm
I also got my smoke on this weekend. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi_9Zvyl5PE/

The pig was a tad disappointing. My smoking rig runs a little too hot. It was cooked through, but would have benefited from a lower temperature and another hour or two. Good smoke flavor, but it didn't have that rip-it-up-with-two-forks consistency you want.

The wings, on the other hand, may become a staple. I thawed them in the bag, dumped a bunch of spice rub right in there (Rudy's Rub from San Antonio) and flopped it around. Smoked for about 90 minutes, no turning or moving (so they can be done on one set of coals). I offered a variety of sauces, but most of our guests ate them as-is.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 27, 2018, 12:11:28 am
I love ingredients.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on May 27, 2018, 11:20:45 pm
I finally did the thing you're supposed to do (cooked a bunch of food on a sunday to eat for lunches all week) and it turns out 5 days of the same lunch is too many for me to really enjoy. I need to alternate, 3 days of the big dish and 2 days of sandwiches or something.

But it was still pretty damn good. Roast chicken thighs with a peruvian-ish marinade (basically lots of paprika, vinegar, salt, garlic, cumin), red beans, white rice, plantains.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 28, 2018, 01:46:59 am
Mmm... plantains!
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on May 28, 2018, 08:12:39 pm
I finally did the thing you're supposed to do (cooked a bunch of food on a sunday to eat for lunches all week)

Who made that stupid rule?
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on May 29, 2018, 03:34:43 am
Someone who wants to spend a lot less money on mediocre deli sandwiches that cost like $12
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on May 29, 2018, 12:21:11 pm
I bet those deli sandwiches seem less mediocre after a week of eating the same freaking thing every single day. Life is too short for lunch to be that sad!
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 29, 2018, 05:57:12 pm
My cooking highlight of the weekend was grilled Indian-type bread. I was making yogurt-marinated chicken kebabs, and the cookbook recommended these "puff pastry" breads to go with them. I was like "I have time today, WTFN?" I think I liked them better than the chicken.
Pro tip: It is remarkable how much better your breads will rise when you buy fresh yeast, instead of stuff that expired six years ago.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjVoKtpFs8A/?taken-by=carlosdelvaca
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on June 01, 2018, 10:41:23 pm
I bought these really delicious rolls with onion on top. But they had big pockets of raw onion inside??

Delicious but weird burps and bad dreams all week. No more onion rolls.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 04, 2018, 04:46:02 am
Pro tip: It is remarkable how much better your breads will rise when you buy fresh yeast, instead of stuff that expired six years ago.

So true.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2018, 08:31:31 pm
Curry ground lamb is a thing, though. Look up a recipe for keema curry.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2018, 10:17:05 pm
Dadgum that looks good and I've already ate.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on November 06, 2018, 08:46:31 pm
It is definitely good that all my vegetarian friends have me eating more vegetables than I used to, but I need just ONE close bud who wants to come over and eat my big pot of korean shredded pork.

(https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018552-pressure-cooker-spicy-pork-shoulder it is so good...)
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 26, 2018, 04:39:34 pm
I have done that before--made my own turkey at home after Thanksgiving due to lack of leftovers.

Our Thanksgiving was pretty small this year. Did a turkey breast and just a few sides. There has since been turkey pot pie and turkey minestrone, plus the usual sandwiches and whatnot. Just about kicked at this point. I have a recipe for braised turkey legs that I am debating doing next weekend, but the rest of the family is probably turkeyed out at this point.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2018, 07:17:53 pm
It is definitely good that all my vegetarian friends have me eating more vegetables than I used to, but I need just ONE close bud who wants to come over and eat my big pot of korean shredded pork.

I'd be happy to be that bud. But I think your veggie friends are right. This morning I thought Rick and Morty was speaking directly to me. "Morty 1: We all have our thing, he's rolled up sleeves Morty, you're fat Morty." "Fat Morty: I thought I was left handed Morty." "Lizard Morty: Then you should use your left hand to eat more vegetables."
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2018, 07:31:29 pm
Our Thanksgiving was pretty small this year. Did a turkey breast and just a few sides. There has since been turkey pot pie and turkey minestrone, plus the usual sandwiches and whatnot. Just about kicked at this point. I have a recipe for braised turkey legs that I am debating doing next weekend, but the rest of the family is probably turkeyed out at this point.

I think I am the master of stretching a bird. This last turkey I cooked became sandwiches, tacos (2 ways), enchiladas, fried rice, chili, spaghetti, Ploughman's lunch, turkey salad, salad with turkey, omolete, doggie treats.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on December 18, 2018, 11:53:44 pm
My new thing with the GF is burrito nights. Beans, roasted veggies (onions peppers and zucchini usually), yellow rice and salsa. Very good easy meal.

I miss that korean pork though. Damn, that was one of the most satisfying things I've ever made.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: AugustWest on March 08, 2019, 01:46:11 pm
That looks amazing.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on March 26, 2019, 04:36:39 pm
This recipe (https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/01/mushroom-marsala-pasta-bake/) is really good. Next time I might vary the mushrooms-- a blend might make it better than just baby bellas. My GF took the leftovers for lunch so now I'm thinking about making another batch just for lunches.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2019, 12:07:45 pm
TIL: people have personal deli slicers. I would never have imagined that anyone would have one at home.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 29, 2019, 02:46:12 pm
I now know TWO people who have them.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on April 01, 2019, 11:47:31 pm
If I had a freezer packed like that, I'd be too busy worrying about a power failure to think about how to cut up meat.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on April 02, 2019, 05:08:08 pm
I'm reading a great book about home fermentation. I foresee some really nice pickles once cucumbers are in season. And kimchi. Probably not sauerkraut, although if I am using cabbage for kimchi maybe I can make a small jar of sauerkraut?

And maybe... home made ginger ale. I'm looking into it and it seems really simple and delicious. The book has a good tip to make sure it doesn't overcarbonate and fill you with shards of glass-- put 90% into glass bottles and the remaining 10% in an old soda bottle. That way you can feel how pressurized the soda bottle is getting and take Measures if it gets too wild.

The author also talks a lot about making goat's milk yogurt, which seems like an interesting option for our goatherd. I might go for cajeta (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/cajeta-mexican-vanilla-caramel-recipe.html) though.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2019, 01:02:30 pm
there's a proverb in the making here... something about, to a man with a deli slicer everything looks like deli meat?
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: AugustWest on April 22, 2019, 01:35:11 pm
Love me some lamb burgers.
Title: Re: What's for supper?
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2019, 04:03:25 pm
I made this focaccia (https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia) while I was visiting my parents, and it was so good that we ate the whole thing in one sitting and immediately made another batch. It's super easy-- just mix the ingredients, leave out overnight, stretch out in the pan, and bake. No kneading!