The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2018, 05:14:36 am

Title: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2018, 05:14:36 am
Fun new game. Name two bands, similar in fame or musical style and you have to choose between them and give your reasoning.

I'll go first, Wilco or Son Volt?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: miles on June 21, 2018, 12:55:16 am
Wilco. I saw Jay Farrar earlier this year and thought he was pretty boring. I haven't listened to a lot of Son Volt. Wilco has a few songs I like.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: miles on June 21, 2018, 12:57:09 am
Skinny Elvis or fat Elvis?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 21, 2018, 09:23:30 am
Skinny Elvis or fat Elvis?

Obviously skinny (or Young) Elvis, but fat old Elvis has a lot to offer as well. Two of his biggest and best hits, Burning Love (https://youtu.be/zf2VYAtqRe0) and Suspicious Minds (https://youtu.be/RxOBOhRECoo) came from this period. Also, his costumes were awesome (https://flic.kr/p/x35K6) and his stage show and band (https://youtu.be/jrsbC-IMayg) were incredible.

Good one Miles, anyone else want to weigh in? I think the object of the game is to juxtapose two groups that will both be liked by the judge.

How about Led Zeppelin or The Who?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: AugustWest on June 21, 2018, 12:12:07 pm
Son Volt because I know them better.

Skinny Elvis because he was more Memphis and less Vegas.

Zeppelin vs The Who is a real poser.  Probably Zeppelin, but it'd be a real wrench to give up The Who.  Also, I don't think they are similar enough.  I would propose: The Who vs. The Kinks and Zeppelin vs. The Stones.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2018, 12:15:22 pm
The Who is the right answer to all of those questions.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 21, 2018, 02:12:12 pm
I would have said Son Volt right after the break-up, but it's Wilco now--they've done far more to change over time and do more interesting things.

Big Audio Dynamite or Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 21, 2018, 04:21:51 pm
Zeppelin vs The Who is a real poser.  Probably Zeppelin, but it'd be a real wrench to give up The Who.  Also, I don't think they are similar enough.  I would propose: The Who vs. The Kinks and Zeppelin vs. The Stones.

Once upon a time I would have agreed with you, but now... I'm in a weird place with Zeppelin. They were an awesome group, but I found myself not wanting to listen to them anymore. My love was rekindled when they put out that awesome live record about 15 years ago, but has since gone cold once again. Even at my peak Zep love it would have been close between them and The Who!

Who vs. The Kinks. My love for The Who hasn't diminished, but my love for The Kinks has only risen through the years. Still, it's The Who.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 21, 2018, 04:23:33 pm
Big Audio Dynamite or Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros?

Gotta take a mulligan on this one. Not familiar with either one to make a judgement. What is your assessment?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 21, 2018, 07:39:00 pm
Gotta take a mulligan on this one. Not familiar with either one to make a judgement. What is your assessment?

I was a huge fan of the first couple of BAD albums, and I'd have to vote for them on that alone. The use of sampling in a rock context (which I believe was mostly Don Letts' doing, not Mick's) was kind of revolutionary and still relatively rare. Now, the subsequent albums mostly didn't live up to that (especially "F-Punk," which, holy shit, what's up with the singing on that), but yeah those first two are all-time for me.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: AugustWest on June 22, 2018, 01:19:20 am

Who vs. The Kinks. My love for The Who hasn't diminished, but my love for The Kinks has only risen through the years. Still, it's The Who.

This is me, but with the opposite result.  The Davies bros are still astounding me.

I hear what you say about Zeppelin though.  The Zeppelin ablums are like perfect jewels encased in amber.  They're so archetypal and familiar and era defining but so thoroughly explored.

How about -=- Neal Young or David Bowie?

Captain Beefheart or Jonathon Richman?

Jimi Hendrix or Johnny Cash?

Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: miles on June 22, 2018, 05:01:36 am
I prefer The Kinks over all of their fellow British invaders.

I prefer Neil Young over just about anyone.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 06:01:43 am
In the Lileks Memorial Minneapolis Beatdown category I propose Replacements vs. Husker Du.

I prefer The Replacements tunefulness, they are more melodic than Husker Du. I'm a McCartneyite from way back so melody is very important to me.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 06:13:41 am
The Davies bros are still astounding me.

The more I listen the more I discover. They're discography is deep and rich and I am still discovering gems. I just recently starting appreciating this simple masterpiece (https://youtu.be/jpwGGJYCCJ0).

Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 06:17:21 am
How about -=- Neal Young or David Bowie?

I prefer Neil Young over just about anyone.

What Miles said.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2018, 12:41:33 pm
Neil Young over David Bowie?? OMG. I thought you guys were my friends!
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: theinevitable on June 22, 2018, 03:25:37 pm
I think I'd have to go Bowie but that one is tough.

Zep over Stones, Kinks over the Who, Replacements over Husker Du (although I did make my gf listen to a few Husker Du songs the other day because I was trying to explain that there are different kinds of punk)
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 07:35:29 pm
Neil Young over David Bowie?? OMG. I thought you guys were my friends!

That's what makes this game so interesting. It's all about the tough choices.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 07:38:54 pm
Bowie is awesome, but there are great swaths of his material that I just don't connect with. The price you pay for being so experimental, not all of it works for everybody.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2018, 07:42:46 pm
That's what makes this game so interesting. It's all about the tough choices.

I dunno, man, to me that one is not a tough choice. Sure, I don't love all of Bowie, but some of it is basically essential to civilization. Whereas if I never heard another note of Neil Young for the rest of eternity that would be just dandy.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 07:45:06 pm
if I never heard another note of Neil Young for the rest of eternity that would be just dandy.

That's a bit surprising to me given your love of Springsteen. Don't they both play that heartland/everyman shtick for all it's worth?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2018, 08:02:23 pm
Sure, I don't love all of Bowie, but some of it is basically essential to civilization.

Well, now that you mention it, his highs (https://youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ) are extraordinarily high (https://youtu.be/YoDh_gHDvkk).
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2018, 08:28:16 pm
I can't think of a single thing that seems similar to me about Springsteen and Neil Young.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2018, 08:36:06 pm
Well, now that you mention it, his highs (https://youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ) are extraordinarily high (https://youtu.be/YoDh_gHDvkk).

Now, David Bowie and Queen, that would be a hard question, but I'd have to go with Queen.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 23, 2018, 01:32:56 am
Oh, what the hell, I'll drop in.

Neil over Bowie for me, marginally, and maybe only because I'm Canadian.

Kinks over whatever the other one was.

Now mine: Love or Zombies?

I'll say Zombies, but it's close.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: wombat on June 23, 2018, 12:25:52 pm
Neil over Bowie for me,

You too? I just don't understand the world anymore!
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2018, 01:57:52 am
I can't think of a single thing that seems similar to me about Springsteen and Neil Young.

You can't see that their point of view politically is very similar? Born in the USA is a protest song disguised as a pro America anthem. Rockin' in the Free World is exactly the same thing.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2018, 01:58:33 am
I'll say Zombies, but it's close.

Ditto!
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2018, 01:58:58 am
Small Faces or Yardbirds?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: AugustWest on June 24, 2018, 03:38:15 am
Small Faces or Yardbirds?

Yardbirds, I think.  I know the Yardbirds better and they rock pretty hard.  Itchycoo Park is a pretty damn cool song though.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2018, 11:12:17 am
Yardbirds, I think.  I know the Yardbirds better and they rock pretty hard.  Itchycoo Park is a pretty damn cool song though.

True, Itchycoo Park is pretty cool, as is Lazy Sunday (https://youtu.be/zXeRB-3nDR8). However, before they turned to psychedelic pop they were a muscular rock band (https://youtu.be/sVHT5fLrX2k) capable of keeping up with The Who (https://youtu.be/4SmH8-tIyjc).
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2018, 11:13:58 am
Now, David Bowie and Queen, that would be a hard question, but I'd have to go with Queen.

Of course. Queen Trumps almost everyone.
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 25, 2018, 06:57:41 pm
As a person who loves Neil Yound and also Bruce Springsteen....it seems like only their bad stuff is similar?  Neil Yound basically invented whole albums based on depression and grunge music and anti guitar.  He had some albums in the 80s that compared to Springsteen’s lesser stuff, but he also had weird way ahead of its time (and still bad!) computer music.  I think comparing them is sorta silly?

I’ll take Wilco, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Public Image Ltd over either of the post clash bands (and the clash over Sex Pistols) and the replacements.  I like this game. 

Stooges or VU is best I have right now

Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 25, 2018, 06:59:21 pm
Ohhhh....and Small Faces- here comes the nice!!!

Modest penis or Flaming Lips?

Beck or Sonic Youth?
Title: Re: Make Me Choose Between Two Bands
Post by: pmcd9 on November 03, 2018, 04:18:32 am
I realized a slight comparison between Edgar Winter Group and Alice Cooper. My Facebook friend didn't agree with my assessment. How far off base am I?