Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - ndpatel

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
1
It should be "cue," not "queue," for the braveheart.

also, this is basically a good way to go through life.

2
Achewood / Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:33 am »
... the GOF, which I began to dislike the moment Beef got cocky & I realized that Ray was going to win.

It's okay to feel this way. The GOF was fun and all, but eh. I've never understood why it got so much attention, when, say, a strip like Titty Buxx (just for one random example) will provide lasting giggles for basically the rest of my life.

3
Achewood / Only 14 days left! Blogs, February 2007
« on: February 14, 2007, 11:12:16 pm »
Didn't see a thread.

Anyway, looks like Chris got to see the inside of Google for mocking their logo? Is that about right?

4
Achewood / Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:18:46 am »
Look at the action movie competition to have dudes get it on with everything from aircraft to playing cards in a tidy 90 minutes.

Exactly my point. Top Gun without F-14s is the gayest movie ever made. You cannot argue with this fact.

5
Achewood / Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:14:34 pm »
Part of my perspective, from a background of killings living things for a reason, is a broad deep black and abiding revulsion and interior outrage at the propagation of fabulistic mythology surrounding guns and the criminal life and all the posturing and amoral romanticizing that result in instantly understood phrases like glocking or images like the sideward held handgun.

Weapons have always been sexy, though. The people who wield weapons are romanticized because of the weapons. A samurai without a sword is just a guy in a dress, you know? The helmet is nothing without the M-16.

Because genocide is a modern idea, obviously.

The notion that first world Westerners "let" other people do things is most certainly a modern idea. If killing and death are totally abstract concepts to the people who have the ability to intervene in such things, it's that much more difficult to convince them that they should support the sending of resources to stop them.

Or something like that - I took this class, like, five years ago.

6
Achewood / Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« on: January 31, 2007, 06:50:11 pm »
On the other hand, I think the detachment most people feel from where they get their food is a major cause of stupid thinking in American society.

I took an entire 200-level class in college about genocide where the professor's basic theory was that since Westerners for the most part don't have to kill their own food, they don't understand death at all and pretty much just let other people kill the shit out of each other.

7
When it comes to food, most people are firm classicists, in that they want everything to go together in a way that makes logical sense.

I'm not sure I get the idea of "classicist" meaning "logical sense" - no foods go together "logically," they just go together because some cultures have always put them together. Flavors go together in a pleasing way, but I'm not sure there's anything "logical" about that sort of thing. cf. your basic fusion restaurant being successful.

Or did you mean, like, food should logically go on a plate and be eaten with a fork? Cause even that's kind of context-sensitive.

Also, looking back, I hated every contestant this season and am sorry that any of them had to win. Last season was far better. Plus Billy Joel's wife, while unable to have any kind of emotions, was far hotter than Padma, and less prone to babbling nonsensically. Padma is married to Salman Rushdie, though, so you know. That's pretty cool.

8
I like the concept of people trying crazy new things with food.

but, I mean, liking the concept is not == "my belly is so happy for this food."

Right, from what I hear the two consensus Really Good crazy food places in Chicago (Alinea and Moto) have chefs that are more focused on making one's belly happy than the crazy new things they do to get there.

I don't know if any of you watch Top Chef, but I contrast that to Marcel, who is always ready to make some foam crap and call it food.


9
Is this what it is like to live in California?  Do these places really exist?  Man, if so, I'm glad I'm on the east coast.

Alinea, in Chicago, is the best restaurant in the country, according to Gourmet.

It is hella weird, and crazy expensive, and it takes between five and twelve hours to eat there, but everyone who has ever eaten there has come away very impressed, from the reviews I've read to This One Guy I Know.

I think the whole molecular gastronomy thing might be one of those things that's really good when it's good, and really bad when it's bad.

10
Achewood / Re: October Blogs, 2006
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:05:28 pm »
What I'll miss most about Philly is the pizza - not that I eat that much pizza these days.  Yes, I know Chicago is famous for its pizza, but it's that deep dish kind which is more like a large hot pocket than actual pizza.  I have heard talk that there is a New York style pizzeria downtown, though, and I will judge it harshly should I move there.

As a Chicagoan, I (along with many others) firmly believe that the best pizza in the city is Phil's, from exactly the kind of hole-in-the-wall southside pizza joint the best pizza in the city should be from. Not deep dish, not New York, just amazing.

11
Achewood / Re: Ba de ya, bloggin' in September
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:02:03 pm »
onstad makes out with a inkjet printout of wodehouse every night pass it on

12
Achewood / Re: 19 Sep 2006 - Ray just wants you home safe.
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:29:18 am »
anyone got any idea of what lil' n is trying to put away for the winter in mid-september?

13
Achewood / Re: Blogs Return: July '06
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:48:00 am »
onstad drinks weird soda.

just thought everyone should know.

14
Dimples are what a 6 year old with cake smeared on her face and a frilly party dress has, not what an adult examining the finer points of life has.

my dear, the whole motivation for examining the finer points of life is to figure out how to always be that 6 year old with cake.

15
I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.

if you're a member of a fancy gym, every month you get a couple little guest passes to give to your friends so that they can come in and make asses of themselves on what appear to be weight machines designed for aliens in front of terrifyingly beautiful women whose workout clothes cost more than your car.

at least that's what i heard.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9