Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26th of January, 2006 - "tainted" shrimp "taco" with "ethnomedical" manioc foam  (Read 6636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

On the positive side, a lot of gimmicky joints like that tend to fold after the novelty wears off. Others, unfortunately show the tenacity of a cockroach.

p o u l t r y ;
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

Perhaps it was a revamp of p o u l t r y ;, always trying to stay right on the bleeding "ethnomedical" edge?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

Is this what it is like to live in California?  Do these places really exist?  Man, if so, I'm glad I'm on the east coast.

I mean, yeah, I went to Jekyll & Hyde as a kid, but that was different:  I was wearing a Knicks Starter jacket and those actors fuckin' performmed, man.

Plus, the bathrooms were labeled misleadingly.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

I could make an omelette in 30 seconds that would quell my hunger pangs right now.

In a race towards the bottom, I'll claim that I can make a quesadilla from pre-shredded cheese and a tortilla in the same amount of time, but with considerably less chance of salmonella poisoning :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:22:10 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

man, no way. It's all about the foods that take upwards of 10 minutes to make.

like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

applebed

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile

In a race towards the bottom, I'll claim that I can make a quesadilla from pre-shredded cheese and a tortilla in the same amount of time, but with considerably less chance of salmonella poisoning :)

My timeframe was inspired by a cookery show we have over here (Saturday Kitchen) where the guest chefs compete to make an omelette in less than a minute. I spose we don't get a follow-up on posioning-related suffering that may ensue :P

I see that Raymond Blanc recently came last for taking a black truffle out of his pocket and adding fresh gratings to his dish. What a man.
Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes

p o u l t r y ;

The funniest thing about p o u l t r y ; is that not only does it find the spaces necessary, it is presumptious enough to imply that the name itself doesn't fully explain the restaurant, thus requiring a semi-colon.  Probable sentence following the semi-colon: we also have clean l a v a t o r i e s.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

My timeframe was inspired by a cookery show we have over here (Saturday Kitchen) where the guest chefs compete to make an omelette in less than a minute.


That is craziness.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com

Is this what it is like to live in California?  Do these places really exist?  Man, if so, I'm glad I'm on the east coast.

Alinea, in Chicago, is the best restaurant in the country, according to Gourmet.

It is hella weird, and crazy expensive, and it takes between five and twelve hours to eat there, but everyone who has ever eaten there has come away very impressed, from the reviews I've read to This One Guy I Know.

I think the whole molecular gastronomy thing might be one of those things that's really good when it's good, and really bad when it's bad.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

I like the concept of people trying crazy new things with food.

but, I mean, liking the concept is not == "my belly is so happy for this food."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com

I like the concept of people trying crazy new things with food.

but, I mean, liking the concept is not == "my belly is so happy for this food."

Right, from what I hear the two consensus Really Good crazy food places in Chicago (Alinea and Moto) have chefs that are more focused on making one's belly happy than the crazy new things they do to get there.

I don't know if any of you watch Top Chef, but I contrast that to Marcel, who is always ready to make some foam crap and call it food.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

clearly Elia was In it to Win It, because she shaved her head.
On the other hand, marcel was a dick and made a fuss. probably because his only good feature was his hair.

I figure it is like any art/craft. as a kind-of musician, sometimes I really enjoy making crazy noises that only other musicians (or, weird people who listen to weird music, like me) enjoy. But that is not what the public wants. The food-as-art thing is more stretched, though, because most consider food to be Fuel that should taste good, rather than Art. When it comes to food, most people are firm classicists, in that they want everything to go together in a way that makes logical sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com

When it comes to food, most people are firm classicists, in that they want everything to go together in a way that makes logical sense.

I'm not sure I get the idea of "classicist" meaning "logical sense" - no foods go together "logically," they just go together because some cultures have always put them together. Flavors go together in a pleasing way, but I'm not sure there's anything "logical" about that sort of thing. cf. your basic fusion restaurant being successful.

Or did you mean, like, food should logically go on a plate and be eaten with a fork? Cause even that's kind of context-sensitive.

Also, looking back, I hated every contestant this season and am sorry that any of them had to win. Last season was far better. Plus Billy Joel's wife, while unable to have any kind of emotions, was far hotter than Padma, and less prone to babbling nonsensically. Padma is married to Salman Rushdie, though, so you know. That's pretty cool.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up